Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteCummins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Hi everyone,

Just registered but I've been lurking for a while and got some great info of the site, love the help offered by members!

I have done a few searches and can't find what I'm after............

I have converted nearly all my DVD collection to iTunes and I'm now wanting to put my well, more personal collection on there.

I have 4 ATV's and 3 of them the kids have access to. Is there something I could do to restrict the viewing of some movies on the ATV's that my children have access to?

I don't want to put an age restriction on the ATV's

Hope someone has the answer and thanks in advance for input.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I have 4 ATV's and 3 of them the kids have access to. Is there something I could do to restrict the viewing of some movies on the ATV's that my children have access to?

I don't want to put an age restriction on the ATV's

Unfortunately the only method I know of is the Parental Control which lets you limit by rating.

The downside to that is that you have to give each movie a rating, which you can't do in iTunes. I do my encoding on Windows so I use MetaX (paid) for tagging. You can also use Subler I believe on OSX (free).

You MIGHT be able to do Playlist manipulation, but that would be a hassle in the long run in my opinion.

Another possibility, since your ripped movies do not have DRM, would be to set up a second iTunes server and only add the things you want them to watch. This wouldn't require any extra space as it would simply link to the same original files. You could even run it within a virtual operating system such as Virtualbox so that you do not need a second physical computer. You might have to consider having a dedicated network for this though so that the kids could not simply pick the other server when going into "Computers" on the AppleTV. Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.