Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ckmpls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Im curious about the number of water damage sensors in the iphone 5c because my phone wont connect to a charger so i brought it in and the guy at the apple store said it was because of water damage, but after looking at the sensor inside the sim card slot the sensor still looks white! Are there other sensors inside the phone that he is talking about?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There is 3 separate indicators at different locations.
If the Apple employee tells you that then obviously he knows what he's talking about even though you don't believe him or can't see the other 2 yourself.
Most likely he made a note into their system of the particular incident and your phones warranty is void.

Ckmpls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
There is 3 separate indicators at different locations.
If the Apple employee tells you that then obviously he knows what he's talking about even though you don't believe him or can't see the other 2 yourself.
Most likely he made a note into their system of the particular incident and your phones warranty is void.

Where are they? I have found 2 of them (both white) after opening up my phone but I was unable to see a third!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Where are they? I have found 2 of them (both white) after opening up my phone but I was unable to see a third!

One in the sim slot, one near the bottom right corner of the battery where the logic board is and the 3rd on top near the ear piece.

47567-iphone_5_lci.jpg

Ckmpls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
One in the sim slot, one near the bottom right corner of the battery where the logic board is and the 3rd on top near the ear piece.

Righteous dude! All 3 are white.... so im going to the apple store tomorrow and telling them whats wrong, if they say its water damage, ill ask to see the sensors! Thanks dude!

cristovao

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone know if their over the phone diagnostics would be able to detect water damage?

On the site it states that AppleCare+ can be purchased within 30 days of purchase over the phone but that diagnostics would be performed.

I'm thinking not but you never know these days.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth

There is also one inside the headphone/earphone jack on iPhone 5/5C/5S

So there are Total 4 water sensors on the iPhone 5/5C/5S:
- Headphone/earphone jack
- SIM tray
- near the earpiece on top
- Bottom right corner of battery.

Note: If only 1 sensor is tripped, most likely they will help him out, oddly we had one iPhone 5 that had the above the earpiece sensor PINK color [the Genius told me] when we got it replaced due to faulty battery [this was before they started doing the battery replacements in the store] however I can't say OP's experience is going to be like mine, given Apple's kindness he may be in luck :)

Last edited:

cristovao

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2010
Calgary
I think you need to bring it to a store for inspection to add AppleCare plus.
Obviously they can't inspect it over the phone.

Directly from the Apple site;

"Purchase AppleCare+ with your new iPhone. Or buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase:

At an Apple Retail Store (inspection of iPhone and proof of purchase are required)
OR call (800) 263-3394 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)"

Specifically looking at the part about running remote diagnostics.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Righteous dude! All 3 are white.... so im going to the apple store tomorrow and telling them whats wrong, if they say its water damage, ill ask to see the sensors! Thanks dude!
The sensors don't need to be triggered. If there are signs of corrosion/rusting it correlates to liquid and therefore accidental damage.

Note: If only 1 sensor is tripped, most likely they will help him out, oddly we had one iPhone 5 that had the above the earpiece sensor PINK color [the Genius told me] when we got it replaced due to faulty battery [this was before they started doing the battery replacements in the store] however I can't say OP's experience is going to be like mine, given Apple's kindness he may be in luck :)
External sensors can be triggered without voiding the warranty. If any internal sensors are triggered it voids the warranty - regardless of how many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.