Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's long-rumored "iWatch" smartwatch may include a UV light exposure sensor provided by Texas-based Silicon Labs, according to a new research note from Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis (via AppleInsider). The digital ultraviolet sensor, which was announced in February, is described by Silicon Labs as "ideal for activity-tracking wrist and arm bands, smart watches and smartphone handsets." In addition to tracking UV sun exposure, the sensor is also said to track heart/pulse rate and blood oximetry levels and provide proximity and gesture control.

Balogh-iwatch.jpg
Traditional watch-style iWatch concept based on TRIWA's Havana Nevil Brown watch, by Gábor Balogh
These chips measure UV exposure to aid those with elevated risk of sunburn or just a general concern about excessive sun exposure, and we believe they may be of appealing to OEMs looking to differentiate in a crowded market. To that end, while these products have seen little public hype thus far, we believe SLAB has a win in Apple's upcoming iWatch (late 2H14 or early 2015).
Past reports have indicated that Apple is preparing to include the ability to monitor a number of health-related metrics in the iWatch such as heart rate, sleep activity, movement, perspiration levels, and skin temperature. Apple is also said to be developing a "Healthbook" app for iOS 8 which would help the iWatch monitor and track health statistics like weight, heart rate, calories and step counts in conjunction with the iPhone.

Over the past year, Apple has also hired a number of health experts in fields related to heart rate monitoring and fitness tracking, including two executives from pulse-oximetry company Masimo and others from C8 MediSensors, a company that develops non-invasive blood monitoring sensors.

While details on the iWatch have been mostly limited, more information on the product is likely to be revealed as the product's release grows closer. It is unknown when Apple plans to release the iWatch itself, but a fall release date alongside iOS 8 and the next-generation iPhone is likely.

Article Link: iWatch Rumored to Include UV Light Exposure Sensor

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Sounds like a good idea to me. So many times I'll have a task I wish my phone could do, but it's missing hardware. Like I'd love to know what the temperature, air pressure, etc. are right where I'm at. Instead, I have to rely on the weather stations at airports. The proximity sensor could probably tell us the number of lumens of light coming in with minor tweaks. I would flat-out love heart rate information. Figure out more complex things such as calorie intake, blood sugar level or BAL and you'll have a major winner.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The "iWatch" is looking less and less like a watch with every new rumor, but that won't change what MR calls it. Not that Apple will use that name.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
IFTTT notifies me if the UV index for my area is high. I think it's a worthy addition if this rumor is to be true. Knowing someone with stage IV melanoma has been a big wake up call (for me) to how serious something as simple as paying attention to the UV index is.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
If they can somehow make this thing capable of blood pressure readings, I will buy it immediately. Regular blood pressure reading that automatically sync to healthbook would be incredible for someone like me with hypertension.

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Employers want a sensor to indicate when workers are being lazy. An electric shock is then emitted! :eek:

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
In short order, we'll have a sensor for everything and be scared to do anything.

I disagree man , since I got my jawbone I've been motivated to work out more , eat healthier , sleep better.

People who have tendencies being hypochondriacs are already afraid to do anything already

Edit : one more already wouldn't hurt :p

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Whenever I wear a watch, I'm often wearing a long sleeve shirt, and the watch ducks inside the wrist collar. If it's going to measure light, I hope it takes into account that people use things in their own individual ways. My wrist may be exposed to sunlight while driving a car, while 90% of my body is shaded by the car's roof, or I may be wearing a hat / clothes that shades most of my body while the watch is exposed, just as it might be obscured by a long shirt. Perhaps there will be accessory devices, such as iBeacons, that have sensors to increase accuracy for such variables.

I'd guess they've already thought these things through, and have an idea that makes this work for 90% of people, which is how I think most things Apple are intended to work... if it's even something they're really working on. I hope they make something I can use, because I've not worn a watch for the last three years.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Having survived malignant melanoma a couple of years ago, this has finally made me interested in the iVital or whatever they call this bracelet.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
No way in hell

Anyone who has the slightest common sense and knowledge of Apple's design techniques should know that the 'iWatch' would never look like this. That watch might as well be a Nixon.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm still not convinced we're going to see all this in the guise of a watch - I think at least an option of a wrist-band has got to be the way to go. There's already a growing market sector for wrist-based health trackers (Jawbone UP, Fitbits etc) and all of these are designed to be worn independent from a watch. I think for many people an existing watch is just too personal and intimate to be dropped for a health device.

How many people are going to be interested in this device who won't want to stop wearing their £3000 Omega or maybe the watch their father handed down to them? And look at the variety of watch designs available - do we really think Apple can come up with a design that everyone will like? And even if they did, can you imagine if it became as ubiquitous as the iPhone at the height of it's success - nearly everyone you see wearing the same watch? No thanks.

And then there's other factors to consider - if this is going to be a 24hr fitness tracker, lots of people don't like sleeping wearing a watch, but might be able to do so with a more discrete wristband.

I just think if Apple goes down the watch-only route with this, then they're going to lose a lot of potential customers from the start. I think a separate wristband is the way to go, maybe with the option of fitting some sort of optional Apple "watchface" device to it that replicates some of the functions that would otherwise be handled by a connected iPhone etc.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Personally sick and tired of iWatch rumors. I don't care for this kind of product. It is also ridiculous to talk about a UV exposure sensor. How good is this going to be if one has long sleeves, etc.? I haven't regularly used a wristwatch for years, thanks to very accurate time from cellphones. I am not looking forward to using a wristwatch again. Only value I see for a wristwatch is as a fashion accessory. Unfortunately these geeky smart watches have very little value as fashion accessories.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
This rumored product appears to be focused more and more towards people who are health conscious. If this were a viable market, I'd see more of your fatasses in the gym with me. ;)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Personally I hope this never comes to market.

Did Apple troll Samsung into making the Galaxy Gear?

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
The more I hear about this the more I think I'll buy one, depends of course very much on the final form, functionality and not least cost !

Above The Gods

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2014
New York
Personally sick and tired of iWatch rumors. I don't care for this kind of product. It is also ridiculous to talk about a UV exposure sensor. How good is this going to be if one has long sleeves, etc.? I haven't regularly used a wristwatch for years, thanks to very accurate time from cellphones. I am not looking forward to using a wristwatch again. Only value I see for a wristwatch is as a fashion accessory. Unfortunately these geeky smart watches have very little value as fashion accessories.

The new device isn't a watch. It's a wristband. And it was revealed as such since the second phases of rumors last year. Sites like these and analysts, however, kept referring to it as a watch, which threw people off. Apple knows people won't wear watches again, as Tim Cook expounded on in an interview once.

Me personally, I would definitely love something which helps me become and remain healthy. These devices add functionality which you couldn't get from your phone. What I would never wear is a smartphone, which all it does is duplicate the already existing functionality of your phone. Also, the band would worn tight on your skin, which means it would be under your sleeves. The pulse sensor needs direct skin contact to work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.