Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reclzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Good day all.

I'm in the situation i need / want a new laptop, this time going for a Mac.

My current computers are:
Desktop:
Core2 Quad 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram (333 MHz)
GeForce GT 230 1280 MB VRam

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkpad R500
Core2 Duo 2.26 GHz
4 GB Ram (also 333 MHz I think)
Intel GMA 4500HD and 128 MB Mobile Radeon HD3400

I would be using the MacBook for school and recreation.
I taking an AP in Financial Management (takes two years) and will be travelling an hour both to and from school with a train.

In my off time i dabble with programming, design and light gaming.
When I say light gaming i mean Civilization V, The Command & Conquer Series and mostly Blizzard games. And it's not every day i game.
No FPS games for me, i get nausea after about 20 minutes :p.

I would love it if the MacBook could replace both my Laptop and my Desktop.
I'm considering the maxed out BTO MBA 13" or the base rMBP 15" with 16 GB Ram. (Leaning more towards the 15")

Does any of you know if i could dump my current computers for one of the MacBooks i mentioned?

Any advice will surely be helpful.

Cheers
Bo Handskemager Sørensen

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Does any of you know if i could dump my current computers for one of the MacBooks i mentioned?

In terms of performance, almost certainly.

However, you need to do the research. The golden rule is to decide what software you need and buy the machine that runs it!

What you need to do is make a list of the software you rely on and investigate its availability for Mac (carefully, too: e.g. MS Office on Mac is no problem, but it doesn't include MS Access) and how much it will cost you to get the Mac version if there is one.

Also check what software you need for your college course. Financial Management could be pretty PC-centric.

If there are one or two bits of Windows-only software that you need, that isn't necessarily a problem since Windows runs nicely in a virtual machine using VMWare or Parallels, including all but the most demanding 3D games (but do check the particular titles you depend on - there'll be compatibility info somewhere on the web). In that case you'll have to add the cost of vmware/parallels and a full retail copy of Windows. This will eat a bit of disc space, so it might leave you a bit cramped on a 128G SSD.

Most people will find that everything they need to use has a Mac equivalent and that running Windows in a VM will deal with everything else. However, if you find your software requirements will leave you using Windows most of the time and/or your college is likely to blame any problem you have with their course software on your Mac, it might be more sensible to go for a PC ultrabook instead.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
If you "dabble with programming, design", you will probably want to get the 15".

As for using the computer for your studies, it will unlikely to give you problems if you prepare for it in advance. That is, if there is any Windows-only software you need, just set up your computer to either dual boot or get Vmware, VirtualBox or any other virtual machine app. The virtualization approach would be more transparent, but consumes a bit more RAM. With 16 GB it should be fine regardless.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Something else to consider is that the MBP can be an acceptable desktop replacement when coupled with a good display. I have my MBP in clamshell mode hooked to a 23" display via a CalDigit hub. I unplug the power cable and the thunderbolt cable and I'm out the door. The big display makes a big difference when programming or working on photos in Aperture.

Reclzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Thank you all for the advice i've checked with the school and they do recommend Windows because of a plugin for excel which is only made for windows.

However they are willing to help with vitual machine or boot camp for mac users.

Other than the plugin for Excel nothing else is windows only, i was going to either boot camp and seeing as i want 16 gigs of ram there should be enough for the ocational virtual machine for Excel.

I've been making the list suggest and it seems like i'll be able to run Adobe Creative Suite, Cinema 4D, Various IDE's and Solidworks in windows and Autodesk 123D.

Thank you all for the replies, they have been very helpful.

boats4chris

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Works great!

I started with a 13 in MacBook Air for online class homework and found the screen to be too small for my needs. I finally upgraded to the 15 rMBP and it is a welcomed upgrade for a number of reasons. But to your point, it works great in a workstation configuration. I have not tried it in clamshell mode, but just last week I was doing a research paper and I had the laptop screen going and a 23 in and a 19 in monitor also plugged in. Thank goodness Apple finally figured out the multiple screen support! Also, the rMBP has 2 Thunderbolt ports to the MB Air's one. I like the potential of plugging in 2 extra monitors.

I don't play any games on my Mac (yet), so I can't comment on it from that perspective.

Yes, the rMBP makes a great workstation. I am finding that I am getting closer to finally ditching my PC's all together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.