Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

san001

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
Hi

I am new to my imac and have been playing around with the new imovie.

Normally i would burn my output video to DVD, but want to start just backing up to an external hard drive and then watching via Apple TV.

However i usually create a menu page at the front of every family video i do, but i cannot find anywhere to do this. The reason for this is so that i can jump to a particular event that is shown on the menu.

any ideas how i do this (I am used to using Pinnacle on a PC)

Thank you for any advice

wilddenali

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Short Answer: You Can't

AppleTVs are great devices, but they do not function like DVD players. They are MP4 players. They offer almost instant access to any part of your video file with the proper remote (an iPod / iPhone / iPad) and the App Store Remote app.

DVD menus came about because of the difficulty of navigating with standard VCR remotes to a particular part of your videotape once it had been rewound. Scanning through a DVD would've been a messy task without chapters and menus.

AppleTVs don't allow you menu-style access to chapters in your video, but they do allow you almost instant access to chapters. Once you've selected an MP4 (m4v) video with chapters included and begun playback, select the down arrow on your remote and you'll see your timeline displayed with chapter marks. Just right or left click on your remote to skip forward or back to each chapter.

Saves you lots of time in the video creation process to not have to create or encode chapter menus.

If this isn't close enough to what you want, you could always include a few frames at the beginning of each chapter to tell you what that chapter contains so that you could skip to each chapter and "see" what's in there, but I'd personally find that distracting when watching the video straight through.

**One other option**
There is no reason anymore to simply "put everything in" to one video. If your home movies are all from the same source camera tape or memory card, but of different subjects, just break your video into two or more separate videos, each with a unique title. There's no longer a need to include 2013's 30 minute vacation video with 2013 Thanksgiving Dinner video and skip to whichever chapter you want to see. Just make them two separate videos. Make sense?

Last edited:

Ramadad

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Texas
Chapter Markers in iMovie

Does iMovie have chapter markers? I queried the help function in iMovie and nothing came up.

wilddenali

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Which Version of iMovie do you Have?

iMovie 9 has chapter markers. :) iMovie 10 does not. :(

See this Apple support thread:

<https://discussions.apple.com/message/23914605#23914605>

san001

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
AppleTVs are great devices, but they do not function like DVD players. They are MP4 players. They offer almost instant access to any part of your video file with the proper remote (an iPod / iPhone / iPad) and the App Store Remote app.

DVD menus came about because of the difficulty of navigating with standard VCR remotes to a particular part of your videotape once it had been rewound. Scanning through a DVD would've been a messy task without chapters and menus.

AppleTVs don't allow you menu-style access to chapters in your video, but they do allow you almost instant access to chapters. Once you've selected an MP4 (m4v) video with chapters included and begun playback, select the down arrow on your remote and you'll see your timeline displayed with chapter marks. Just right or left click on your remote to skip forward or back to each chapter.

Saves you lots of time in the video creation process to not have to create or encode chapter menus.

If this isn't close enough to what you want, you could always include a few frames at the beginning of each chapter to tell you what that chapter contains so that you could skip to each chapter and "see" what's in there, but I'd personally find that distracting when watching the video straight through.

**One other option**
There is no reason anymore to simply "put everything in" to one video. If your home movies are all from the same source camera tape or memory card, but of different subjects, just break your video into two or more separate videos, each with a unique title. There's no longer a need to include 2013's 30 minute vacation video with 2013 Thanksgiving Dinner video and skip to whichever chapter you want to see. Just make them two separate videos. Make sense?

Thank you, this is really helpful as i have never used Apple TV and really did not know how it worked.

As i have imovie 10 , where you have said Apple TV does allow instant access to chapters , am i right to assume as i have the new imovie i would not be able to create chapters?
I therefore assume your other suggestion is the way forward for me, creating lots of different videos (they do all come from my video camera sd card)

I think i need to experiment as i was going to buy FCPX, but from what i have learnt i dont actually need to.

Thank you for your time in helping me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.