Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I want to buy an Airport Express to extend the network in our home, but I see that it hasn't been updated since 2012 and still only supports 802.11n.

Just wondering if the Airport Express is due for an update soon? I wouldn't mind waiting for a couple of months if it meant I could get the latest and greatest.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
To get AC spec wifi and max coverage, I installed a new Time Capsule as the network owner and extended the network with a new Extreme on the other side of the house. Both the new TC and Extreme do beam forming via multiple antenna and they both do AC spec wifi.

I would be surprised if any new Express will have beam forming even if it does AC spec wifi.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
possibly but think it would be either expensive or very difficult to incorporate the needed antenna design in such a small package. i doubt apple wants to release an update that's physically bigger than the last for their travel/mini product.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't bought a router in years and realize it's time for an update. But I'd hate to get one if they're going to release a new one soon...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You may wait a while. Ya never know with Apple.

Meanwhile, there are a bunch of good routers you could get; smallnetbuilder has good reviews of several in about the same price range as existing Expresses. I agree with jenzjen; it may be that there will never be a baby Extreme/Express with AC. Apple's stuff isn't the best, so why wait? Be kinda sad to invest in gear that can use faster wifi only to slow everything down cuz you need an Apple logo on your router.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I would imagine apple will continue to only have the airport express as an N router and 10/100 ports to differentiate it from the extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.