Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a pdf file and opened it in preview, i deleted some pages from it, but it was 50Mb, and now the file size has grew to 200Mb on the same file?

how if I'm removing pages I thought it would reduce the file size? any help or understanding on this please?

thanks

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
PDFs created by professional editing apps such as Acrobat, or PDFs created by pro authoring tools like InDesign tend to be heavily optimized and hence smaller in file size.

When you open these PDFs in Preview, and then make any edits (even minor annotations), you're now relying on Preview's PDF writing/encoding ability, which is not as good as the Pro apps, and will usually result in bloated file sizes.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
PDFs created by professional editing apps such as Acrobat, or PDFs created by pro authoring tools like InDesign tend to be heavily optimized and hence smaller in file size.

When you open these PDFs in Preview, and then make any edits (even minor annotations), you're now relying on Preview's PDF writing/encoding ability, which is not as good as the Pro apps, and will usually result in bloated file sizes.
AH ok, it was just to remove some pages, but even if I remove one (delete) it, it then quadruples in size!

So theres nothing I can do in Preview, I only use it for this so don't want to buy an app just for this odd task I do

thanks

porthole2

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2014

That's interesting. So, not all "print or save to PDF" is the same.
Never noticed that.

Would you know if Acrobat Pro X does the same between Windows and Mac versions? I have APX on my Windows partition and am debating changing the license to the Mac version.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Would you know if Acrobat Pro X does the same between Windows and Mac versions?

Acrobat Pro should perform identically between Mac and Windows versions. Adobe's suite of apps is impressively feature-equal between Mac and Windows (unlike say Microsoft Office.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.