Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I am looking to upgrade my iBook G4 so I can run Adobe Lightroom for displaying my photos on the move. iView Media Pro 3 worked OK on 256mb but Lightroom needs 512mb. Since it has 128mb already on board, the maximum I get is 640mb in total.

Crucial UK want £81 for a 512mb stick. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
sebpayne said:
I am looking to upgrade my iBook G4 so I can run Adobe Lightroom for displaying my photos on the move. iView Media Pro 3 worked OK on 256mb but Lightroom needs 512mb. Since it has 128mb already on board, the maximum I get is 640mb in total.

Crucial UK want £81 for a 512mb stick. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

You mean you have a 14" ibook with only 128mb built in? The 12" 1ghz iBooks machines have 256mb built in

I am puzzled by high prices paid by people on MR for memory. I just paid 113 shipped for a Samsung 1 gig PC2700 off eBay. It's in my last revision new powerbook right now and working like a charm.

If you pay more than 65USD for 512mb I'd say you are getting ripped off.

Come to think of it, you can buy my brand new OEM Apple 256mb chip out of my Powerbook for 30USD if you want it. Yes it will work.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
I have never used it but...
http://www.offtek.co.uk/

I am going to get a 1gig chip for my powerbook next week,
Its cheaper than crucial
Its UK Based

Not sure what exact model you have, but it will find it for you in a simular way as crucial, try it out!

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I've used both Offtek and Crucial and I can say they are both good to buy from. Speedy delivery and lifetime warranties from both companies. If I was being picky, I'd say Offtek's packaging isn't as good as Crucial's but it's certainly nothing to worry about.

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
California said:
You mean you have a 14" ibook with only 128mb built in? The 12" 1ghz iBooks machines have 256mb built in

I am puzzled by high prices paid by people on MR for memory. I just paid 113 shipped for a Samsung 1 gig PC2700 off eBay. It's in my last revision new powerbook right now and working like a charm.

If you pay more than 65USD for 512mb I'd say you are getting ripped off.

Come to think of it, you can buy my brand new OEM Apple 256mb chip out of my Powerbook for 30USD if you want it. Yes it will work.

It is the original iBook G4 from late-2003. It was updated in April 2004 with 256mb on board - I took the keyboard off to check today. Thanks for the offer but I'd prefer to buy a stick of 512mb so I can run Lightroom and other stuff (CS2!).

I will look at the other company posted now.

Thanks

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Wow! Only £39.95 for a 512mb stick from Offtek.co.uk! It is amazing what people will pay at Crucial. Just they are a big company and known to the reliable. So, I have a new place from RAM. Thanks Guys!

Just a shame I can't get more for my iBook but even Offtek says the limit is 640mb.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
sebpayne said:
Wow! Only £39.95 for a 512mb stick from Offtek.co.uk! It is amazing what people will pay at Crucial. Just they are a big company and known to the reliable. So, I have a new place from RAM. Thanks Guys!

Just a shame I can't get more for my iBook but even Offtek says the limit is 640mb.

Enjoy speedier computing ;) These are pretty much the most reliable UK RAM dealers. There probably are others but I've never heard of them. Crucial do tend to be more expensive but there are some exceptions.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
sebpayne said:

Are you sure you're looking at the right iBook memory? http://www.crucial.com sells 1GB RAM for the 1GHz G4 iBook.

If I recall correctly, the official limit for the last revision of the G3 iBooks was 640MB, but many people were able to add a 1GB (for 1.256 GB) stick with no problems.

Edit: OK, I didn't recall correctly. I see that offtek specify the maximum as 640MB, and apple-history.com shows the maximum to be 640MB. But since crucial guarantee their memory works, perhaps you could go for the 1GB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.