Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
I own a 2012 Mac Mini Server. I recently added an external Raid 0 array of SSDs and decided to check my hard drives using Trim enabler.

I was surprised to discover high error rates on one of the drives (see images). I'm not certain what a Multi Zone Error rate is - or a lot of what is listed - but I'm wondering is this qualifies for a replacement - single or both drives?

It's still under Apple Care.

Thanks

Attachments

• drive 1.png
    drive 1.png
    58 KB · Views: 219
  • drive 2.png
    drive 2.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 231

jimj740

macrumors regular
Multi-zone error rate is an indication of write failures; generally these are recoverable errors through retry and/or remapping of sectors.

There is not a "hard" number for acceptable write failures; certainly less is better, and frequency of failure and/or trends in failure are important indicators of a drive that is deteriorating.

My advice: make sure you are performing regular backups and monitor this. It is unlikely that Apple will replace the unit until it has a hard failure, but I cannot say this for certain.

Good luck!

-JimJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.