Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jony_ive-250x285.png
Apple's Vice President of Human Interface Greg Christie is set to depart from the company after clashing with Jony Ive, Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design who oversees and guides the Human Interface teams, reports 9to5Mac. Ive first took on a role "providing leadership" for the Human Interface teams in late 2012, following Scott Forstall's departure from the company.

Christie has led much of Apple's software design and reports to Craig Federighi, who oversees development of iOS and OS X, but Christie interacts with Ive during design meetings. Christie's team was responsible for redesigning iOS 7, which reportedly led to disagreements with Ive.
Sources say that Christie's upcoming departure is significant and stems from a falling out with Ive. When Ive tasked Apple's Human Interface team with redesigning iOS 7 to include an entirely new look, Christie and Ive reportedly clashed over design direction, after which Ive is said to have circumvented Christie's leadership of the team during the new operating system's development.
Following Christie's departure, software design will fall under Ive's umbrella, with software designers working alongside Ive's industrial design team rather than Federighi's group.

Christie, who has worked for Apple since 1996, was one of the original software engineers who developed iOS for the first iPhone. He recently did an interview with The Wall Street Journal detailing the development of the original iPhone and he testified in the second Apple vs. Samsung patent trial, telling the court that the "Slide to Unlock" feature he's credited with inventing is an essential iPhone feature.

Along with "Slide to Unlock," Christie has been instrumental in developing many important iPhone features, with hundreds of Apple patents in his name. It is unclear what he plans to do after his departure or when he will officially depart from the company.

Following the departure of Scott Forstall, Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke on the importance of collaboration and noted that the merging of software and hardware design was needed to take Apple's collaborative efforts to the next level. Last year, Ive and Federighi also spoke on collaboration and how they worked together to create iOS 7. With Ive taking full control over software design with Christie's departure, the integration between Apple's software and hardware may improve even further.

Updated 2:30 PDT:
Apple issued a statement to Financial Times reporter Tim Bradshaw saying that Greg Christie "has been planning to retire later this year" and that he "worked closely with Jony for many years".
Apple: Greg Christie "has been planning to retire later this year after nearly 20 years at Apple... worked closely with Jony for many years" - Tim Bradshaw (@tim) April 9, 2014

Article Link: 'Slide to Unlock' Engineer Greg Christie to Depart Apple After Fallout with Jony Ive [Updated]

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the problem with a "flat" design is that it will be looking dated in no time and isnt really a step "forward" but more like a compromise with a current trend

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
“Look Greg, I want the backgrounds to be white, the icons to be white and the type to be white. Then you can tap anywhere, or nowhere. Monochrome ... it’s the ultimate simplified user experience!”

~ J.I.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'd trust Ive over everyone else in this area. He should be the one overseeing all of the design from hardware looks to software looks.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Clash with Jony Ive? It would be an honor and a privilege just to breathe the same air. The man is a genius. If he says something should be purple, then it should be purple.

Anyone that leaves a position at Apple for something so petty is a fool. I'd clean the toilets if given the chance.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
This is discouraging news to me re OS X 10.10. The interface in Mountain Lion is less user-friendly as it is, with tiny, bland grey icons, less contrast. I hate to imagine it looking like iOS 7 because that will look glaring on a large iMac screen.

Boo. :(

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
the problem with a "flat" design is that it will be looking dated in no time and isnt really a step "forward" but more like a compromise with a current trend

The problem with a "XXX" design is that it will be looking dated in no time and isnt really a step "forward" but more like a compromise with a current trend.

Fixed that for you.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
And any hope of iOS 8 reclaiming iOS 6's superior usability or (my opinion) good looks are gone.

Jony Ive: Brilliant hardware designer. Amateur software designer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Greg Christie has shown himself to have good software design (visually speaking), Ive's not so much with the iOS7 rollout.

I cannot see this being a positive thing for apple, imo.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
I'd trust Ive over everyone else in this area. He should be the one overseeing all of the design from hardware looks to software looks.

Ive's background is in industrial design and he's a brilliant hardware designer but sadly his talents in that area don't translate well into UI design.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Clash with Jony Ive? It would be an honor and a privilege just to breathe the same air. Anyone that leaves a position at Apple for something so petty is a fool. I'd clean the toilets if given the chance.

We don't know what happened. Might not be "petty".

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
The problem with a "XXX" design is that it will be looking dated in no time and isnt really a step "forward" but more like a compromise with a current trend.

Fixed that for you.

mac os x still looks fairly decent giving its "age" from a UI point of view :p

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
As much as I like the new design theme of iOS 7, it would still be interesting to see what direction Greg was trying to go in, kind of like seeing the previous design concepts of the iPhone that never came to be (or came much later like the "sandwich" iPhone aka iPhone 4/4s).

paul129290

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
No!

Not Christie! We need someone with an eye for design... Hopefully his work will be picked up successfully, bad year to have such an asset leave when releasing some milestone products (i.e. iPhone 6, iWatch)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.