Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
U.S. Mac Sales Fall in Winter Quarter, Global PC Market Sees Continued Sales Falloff




Apple saw a year-over-year drop of 3.8% in U.S. market share according to a report released today by Gartner, with Dell and Lenovo capturing significant growth at the expense of the rest of the market. The U.S. PC market saw a small increase in total units shipped, while internationally the PC market contracted by 1.7 percent.
Quote:
In the U.S. market, PC shipments totaled 14.1 million units in the first quarter of 2014, a 2.1 percent increase from the same period last year (see Table 2). HP maintained the No. 1 position, as it accounted for 25 percent of PC shipments in the U.S. market. Dell and Lenovo experienced the strongest growth among the top five vendors, with growth rates of 13.2 and 16.8 percent.

"In terms of the major structural shift of the PC market, the U.S. market is ahead of other regions," Ms. Kitagawa said. "The installed base of PCs started declining in 2013, while the worldwide installed base still grew. The U.S. PC market has been highly saturated with devices: 99 percent of households own at least one or more desktops or laptops, and more than half of them own both. While tablet penetration is expected to reach 50 percent in 2014, some consumer spending could return to PCs."
The overall international PC market fared worse than the U.S., a reversal of last quarter as tablets continue to eat into PC sales. Internationally, Lenovo, Dell, Asus and HP all saw solid market share growth at the expense of Acer and the rest of the market. Gartner considers PCs to include desktop and notebooks, including x86 tablets equipped with Windows 8, but excluding Chromebooks and other tablets like the iPad.

The data is preliminary, meaning Gartner can revise its numbers based on market conditions. Last year the firm revised its preliminary Apple numbers by more than two share points because the newly introduced iMac was in extremely short supply.

Separately, IDC reported similar overall trends, with Apple seeing its U.S. PC market share dropping to 10.3%, down from 11% last year. Globally, the firm saw the PC market shrink by 4.4 percent.

Apple has not updated any of its Mac products since early last fall.

Article Link: U.S. Mac Sales Fall in Winter Quarter, Global PC Market Sees Continued Sales Falloff
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:19 PM   #2
mvmanolov
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
oh, no, apple is going bankrupt again...
__________________
2012 Mini 2.6 i7 16GB 128 + 256 SSD | 2013 MBA 1.73 i7 8GB 128 SSD | 2012 MBP 2.5 i5 8GB 128 840 Pro | 2008 MB 2.2 c2d 4GB | 2006 iMac 2.0 c2d 2GB | iPad 3 | iPhone 5 | iPhone 4S | iPhone 4 |
mvmanolov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:21 PM   #3
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I'm sure those sales numbers include HP's, and Dell's tablets and hybrids, but I know for a fact that those don't include iPad.

Why? Who knows. But those numbers don't tell the whole story.
__________________
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Gudi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Berlin
Apple – the no growth company.

Than again, that's units. The nMP aren't cheap. So more revenue, more profit?
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:28 PM   #5
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Maybe Apple should realize that people want upgradable storage and RAM...
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:30 PM   #6
brendu
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
I think the bigger reason for this is that computers from 5 years ago are still powerful enough today. It's not like the windows xp days where every 2 years you needed a new computer because yours was so flooded with spyware the hardware couldn't handle it and crapped out.

My 5 year old MacBook Pro and my wife's 5 year old MacBook work great still and I don't foresee needing a new computer any time soon. That's why companies like apple are looking for something new to sell. Macs aren't going away, people will just keep them longer.
brendu is online now   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Maybe Apple should realize that people want upgradable storage and RAM...
Yeah, I'm sure that's what contributed to this...
Iconoclysm is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:20 PM   #8
JoEw
macrumors 6502a
 
JoEw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Maybe Apple should realize that people want upgradable storage and RAM...
Price points friend, price points.
__________________
Late 2009 27" iMac, i5, iPhone 5 32GB Black, 13" Macbook Air, i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, TV 3rd Generation iPod Nano iPad Air 32GB White
JoEw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:58 PM   #9
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I guess that always out of stock $3000 plus trashcan is not helping the situation.
cdmoore74 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
I think the bigger reason for this is that computers from 5 years ago are still powerful enough today. It's not like the windows xp days where every 2 years you needed a new computer because yours was so flooded with spyware the hardware couldn't handle it and crapped out.

My 5 year old MacBook Pro and my wife's 5 year old MacBook work great still and I don't foresee needing a new computer any time soon. That's why companies like apple are looking for something new to sell. Macs aren't going away, people will just keep them longer.
If they changed the Mac design more often they would sell more. There's a good reason they update the iPhone design every other year.

PC design has moved on a lot in the past few years with really nice all-in-one PC's and stylish laptops all over the place.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 08:15 PM   #11
ZOZO139434371
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
delete
ZOZO139434371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a
 
Toltepeceno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Martin Toltepec, Edo MX, MX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
I think the bigger reason for this is that computers from 5 years ago are still powerful enough today. It's not like the windows xp days where every 2 years you needed a new computer because yours was so flooded with spyware the hardware couldn't handle it and crapped out.
I think you are right. I'm saving for a mac, but I am still using a 5 year old pc laptop and have no problem doing what I need to do. The upgrade cycle is not as quick as it used to be.

Quote:
Maybe Apple should realize that people want upgradable storage and RAM...
I think there is some truth to this. I want a mac mini after the new one comes out if it's still upgradable on storage and memory.
__________________
Only fanboys use the word "troll".
Saludos!
Toltepeceno is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 09:10 PM   #13
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
I think the bigger reason for this is that computers from 5 years ago are still powerful enough today. It's not like the windows xp days where every 2 years you needed a new computer because yours was so flooded with spyware the hardware couldn't handle it and crapped out.

My 5 year old MacBook Pro and my wife's 5 year old MacBook work great still and I don't foresee needing a new computer any time soon. That's why companies like apple are looking for something new to sell. Macs aren't going away, people will just keep them longer.
That is spot on. I have a 2010 mbp that is still going strong, that I gave it too my kids to use their laptop when I upgraded.
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
It is said that if a flock of California Quails should ever leave their nesting site on the grounds of 1 Infinite Loop, the empire shall fall.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:51 PM   #15
petsounds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
I think the bigger reason for this is that computers from 5 years ago are still powerful enough today. It's not like the windows xp days where every 2 years you needed a new computer because yours was so flooded with spyware the hardware couldn't handle it and crapped out.

My 5 year old MacBook Pro and my wife's 5 year old MacBook work great still and I don't foresee needing a new computer any time soon. That's why companies like apple are looking for something new to sell. Macs aren't going away, people will just keep them longer.
I disagree. It's not that old PCs are "powerful enough", it's that PC chips aren't increasing fast enough, due to a complex set of conditions including Intel's position of power, performance advancements decreasing due to limitations with current chip design, and desire for more battery-efficient chips.

This lack of speed increase results in holding back new software technologies that would depend on a new level of performance. And without new must-have software that you need a new machine to run, we've entered a performance plateau where people only upgrade when they have to. This is not a good place for the industry to be in, and it ultimately holds back society from advancing technologically, tablet computing aside.
petsounds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:28 PM   #16
bzero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Blame the dip on Mavericks? Come on, I want to see more Mac market share.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
I think the bigger reason for this is that computers from 5 years ago are still powerful enough today. It's not like the windows xp days where every 2 years you needed a new computer because yours was so flooded with spyware the hardware couldn't handle it and crapped out.

My 5 year old MacBook Pro and my wife's 5 year old MacBook work great still and I don't foresee needing a new computer any time soon. That's why companies like apple are looking for something new to sell. Macs aren't going away, people will just keep them longer.
That's my guess too. I just don't see any reason for anyone to replace a PC with a tablet. Also no reason to buy a new PC when that 2009 MacBook Pro still runs great! And I think 2009 was somehow the best year for MacBook Pros.
bzero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:43 PM   #17
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Maybe Apple should realize that people want upgradable storage and RAM...
Nope. Consumers love what Apple is doing to cut down on bulk. And they prefer to get their RAM from Apple anyway because they know it's the highest quality and covered by the fanatical AppleCare warranty program.
dumastudetto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:14 AM   #18
AHDuke99
macrumors 68020
 
AHDuke99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
Computer technology isn't increasing at the rate it did years ago. My 3 year old Macbook Pro is more than fast enough to use. I used to upgrade every 2 years because machines basically doubled in speed in that timeframe, but not anymore.

Plus, Apple doesn't upgrade their mac line at near the rate they once did.
AHDuke99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 04:35 AM   #19
ValSalva
macrumors 68040
 
ValSalva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burpelson AFB
If Dell and HP have increased market share its clear that those purchasing decisions are almost entirely based on price. Low margin junk with a horrible OS.

There is no question Apple still caters to the well heeled. The quality of the rMBP's is amazing. But they are expensive.

I also wonder if Apple is doing much if any Mac marketing. Maybe I've missed it or haven't noticed it. But I see Dell and HP advertising frequently.
ValSalva is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:17 AM   #20
thewordiz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Maybe Apple should realize that people want upgradable storage and RAM...
Doubtful, for the majority of buyers probably less than 5% upgrade a laptop. But hey, I see you got your bragging rights for your "customized" Windows 8 desktop. I would agree with you on that. A customizable desktop unit.

I believe, what people want by and large in these economically challenged times is a fully loaded fairly inexpensive machine "like most of the POS plastic made Wintel devices" break down the machines from HP, Lenovo, Dell and the others and the growth market is in sub $1000 i3 and i5 based machines. Take comparably priced machines and I bet you will find that Apple held their own, if not excelled. Like really, who would spend $1500-2500 on a "windows" based laptop? And frankly, no other manufacturer has cold turkey stopped using mechanical hard drives, and committed to SSD, which of course jacks the price. Although pushes the performance envelope.

I think Apple should keep the legacy based 13" MBP "$1199" and drop the price for everyone to educational pricing of $999, and actually kept the "old" White & Black plastic MB and offered them at $799 and they would have picked up real market share.

Of course, they usually don't consult on people like me to listen to any people like us. But I think they should.
thewordiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:41 AM   #21
iolinux333
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I have a 2011 MBA. If I bought a 2014 MBA now my personal experience would be identical. I've been waiting for 3 years for a rMBA. I suspect when it is released they will sell zillions of them.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:33 AM   #22
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a
 
Nunyabinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Provo, UT
This is not really surprising seeing that they are overdue on updates for most products. I'm actually surprised that people keep buying knowing that new models must be coming soon.

I have many times delayed a purchase because I know I would be pissed to buy a machine and a week later have a better machine available for the same price.

This dip is the result of no product announcements yet this year. Nothing complicated about it.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7; 15" MBP, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo; 13" MBA 1.7 GHz i5; iPad (3rd Gen), 16 GB; iPhone 5S; Hackintosh, 3.4 GHz i7 (2600k)
Nunyabinez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:35 AM   #23
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolinux333 View Post
I have a 2011 MBA. If I bought a 2014 MBA now my personal experience would be identical. I've been waiting for 3 years for a rMBA. I suspect when it is released they will sell zillions of them.
I am in the market for a new computer. At the moment, I am waiting to see what the new rMBPs and rMBA looks like before I purchase again. MACs last longer. Of course once people started buying them more they were eventually not going to need to buy a new computer every year.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:20 AM   #24
kaldezar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
Nope. Consumers love what Apple is doing to cut down on bulk. And they prefer to get their RAM from Apple anyway because they know it's the highest quality and covered by the fanatical AppleCare warranty program.
Well you can buy the same if not better RAM from Crucial and many other reputable suppliers and still be covered by Applecare without having to pay Apples's rip off RAM pricing!
kaldezar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:57 AM   #25
kobalap
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
I guess that always out of stock $3000 plus trashcan is not helping the situation.
Yeah, Tim Cook should get right on that.

They probably lost a whopping 17 units worth of sales because of lack of availability.
kobalap is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple's Share of Tablet Market Sees Slight Holiday Quarter Boost MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 65 Jan 31, 2014 09:50 AM
U.S. Mac Sales Grow 28.5% in Holiday Quarter, PC Market Suffers Worst Decline Ever [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 235 Jan 29, 2014 09:16 AM
Apple Again Trails U.S. PC Market in Key Back-to-School Quarter as Tablets Continue to Eat Into PC Sales MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 239 Oct 13, 2013 08:49 PM
U.S. Mac Sales Flat in April as iPod Sales Continue to Slide MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 131 May 26, 2013 09:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC