Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhayn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
I am still relatively new to Mac and I have run into a stumbling block. My Mac has two accounts on it. I have my picture folder shared in "Sharing" in System Preferences to both users with read/write access. Folders that have been added once the share was establish are visible as are the list of file in finder, but when the user they are shared to attempts to open them, they get an error message that says. "you do not have permission to open the document....".

What am I doing wrong with the file share? Again, existing (older) folders I am able to open the images when I am logged into the same account that is giving me problems with the new folder/files.

Thanks in advance for any help!

rhayn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Thanks for the fast reply satcomer.

I have two users on the Mac and both have read/write access. The files are not in the Users Shared folder. They are in 'user 1's Pictures folder. That folder is added in "Sharing" in System preferences with both users having read/write access.

When 'user 2' is logged in they can see the newly added folders and even the pictures (.jpg) in Finder, but can not open them in Preview. Again, while 'user 2' is logged in, they have read/write access and CAN open files that were migrated from my last pc.

I must be missing something...

rhayn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
satcomer ~ Yes. The user is already on the mac and I granted read/write access.

Peace ~ I tried that as well. I made sure that the access included all enclosed items as well.

What I think I am going to do is move the Pcitures to the /Users/Shared directly. Hopefully that does the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.