Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
My main drive in my 2012 Mac Mini Server is Failing SMART.
What's the easiest way to back-up/reinstall my files?

I've tried Time Machine in the past when migrating data and it's failed me every time.

CC Cloner or ???

Dfw

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2014
South Wales, UK
A clone would probably be your best option given your misgivings about Time Machine.

I've had to restore a machine from TM twice (one dead MacBook and one Mini HDD replacement) and it has worked perfectly on both occasions.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
I used SuperDuper (free trial) when switching over my HDD. Had no issues since intall 8 months ago (although I did have to do it twice, not sure what went wrong the first time but machine wouldn't boot)

Many here advocate clean install of OS from recovery mode/internet then copy data manually.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I tend to fiddle with a lot of hard drives. My MP has an SSD for Mavericks, a backup HDD clone and a Snow Leopard one (for old time sakes). My new MBP came with a 500GB HDD. I replaced that with a 750GB HDD and one week later with an SSD. The new mini came with a 1TB HDD that was also replaced with an SSD.

Through all of that drive swapping all of the upgrades and backup clones have been done using the latest Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC has had zero problems creating bootable drives either on SSDs or HDDs.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Through all of that drive swapping all of the upgrades and backup clones have been done using the latest Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC has had zero problems creating bootable drives either on SSDs or HDDs.
My experience with CCC are the same as scottsjack above.
I have licensed copies of both CCC and SuperDuper but prefer to use CCC due to its ease of use and 1 or 2 extra features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.