Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imovie.png
Apple has updated its iMovie for Mac video editing package, adding a few minor improvements and fixing issues related to sharing, search and some foreign languages.

The update adds the ability to sort events in the sidebar by date, change the font, size and color of new titles introduced in iMovie 10, and the ability to double-click an transition in the timeline to adjust its duration. All small additions, but welcome ones for some users.
What's new in iMovie 10.0.3

o Option to sort events in the sidebar by date
o Change the font, size, and color of new titles introduced in iMovie version 10
o Double-click a transition in the timeline to adjust its duration
o Crop and rotate clips in events
o Add speed effects using the Adjustments Bar
o Option to smoothly transition in and out of speed effects
o Fixes issues that could cause iMovie to quit unexpectedly
o Resolves issues that could cause sharing to fail
o Improves reliability of search when using partial or multiple search terms
o General usability improvements on computers using certain languages
Apple also released an update to Xcode coding app that fixes a few issues.

iMovie is available from the Mac App Store for $14.99, though it is included free for many users with their Mac purchase. [Direct Link]

Xcode is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: iMovie for Mac Updated With Minor Feature Upgrades and General Improvements

xFerrr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
It's been a long time since I used iMovie. Movie has always been a bit of an odd sibling to its big brother, Final Cut Pro, in terms of both features and appearance. It never quite had the same timeline handling, or the right look; sometimes it would be ahead of Final Cut’s development curve, sometimes far behind. This version of iMovie, however, can stand proudly alongside its big brother. It has the same “space gray” coloration and timeline handling, and though it pales in comparison to Final Cut’s feature set, it still has a decent number of tools in its toolbox.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2060533/imovie-10-review-a-lot-to-like-a-few-quibbles.html

Last edited:

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
It's been a long time since I used iMovie. Movie has always been a bit of an odd sibling to its big brother, Final Cut Pro, in terms of both features and appearance. It never quite had the same timeline handling, or the right look; sometimes it would be ahead of Final Cut’s development curve, sometimes far behind. This version of iMovie, however, can stand proudly alongside its big brother. It has the same “space gray” coloration and timeline handling, and though it pales in comparison to Final Cut’s feature set, it still has a decent number of tools in its toolbox.
Why do you copy a section from Macworld's review of iMovie 10?

http://www.macworld.com/article/2060533/imovie-10-review-a-lot-to-like-a-few-quibbles.html

unibodydesign

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2014
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has updated its iMovie for Mac video editing package, adding a few minor improvements and fixing issues related to sharing, search and some foreign languages.

The update adds the ability to sort events in the sidebar by date, change the font, size and color of new titles introduced in iMovie 10, and the ability to double-click an transition in the timeline to adjust its duration. All small additions, but welcome ones for some users.
Apple also released an update to Xcode coding app that fixes a few issues.

iMovie is available from the Mac App Store for $14.99, though it is included free for many users with their Mac purchase. [Direct Link]

Xcode is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: iMovie for Mac Updated With Minor Feature Upgrades and General Improvements

Thanks Mister iBot; updating Xcode now

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.17.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.17.26 AM.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 241

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
Since I have a powerful iPad I love to edit my Holiday-Videos on Tour. But WHY do they have disabled the Function, that allows you to import a iMovieMobile File to the iMovie-DesktopApp. :confused: :confused: :confused:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012

What was the point of copy/pasting that?

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
It was a 267 mb download for me. I pity the people stuck with slow DSL connections these days. For them, updates will take hours.

'tis nothing, Xcode this time is a whopping 2.1Gb with another 109Mb for the command line tools and, knowing recent Xcode installs, it'll make me redownload all the documentation again for another 1/2 gig.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
Still prefer the old version of iMovie to be honest, can't even change the width of the library bar to see who whole name of my events.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Still prefer the old version of iMovie to be honest, can't even change the width of the library bar to see who whole name of my events.

The old version of iMovie (from 2006) will record video straight from my camera without my camera being in record mode. The new version will not record video from my camera unless I put a tape in it and record to tape.

For this feature alone I'm stuck on iMovie HD. The latest imovie has no problem recording straight from iSight cameras, why not my camera? Why would apple drop this feature?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I miss the old versions ....

It's very rare that I say I like an old version of an application better than a new one. I usually understand that computers are all about a fluid change over time. (That's what makes them such interesting tools.... They don't just do a fixed set of tasks. They run whatever code they're fed.)

But iMovie really lost me after version 6 or so.... Between the program itself,and some really good 3rd. party plug-ins made for it, I could comfortably do some really enjoyable video editing. I don't make any money at this stuff or produce anything used professionally -- so FCP will always be "overkill" for my purposes, really. I just wanted to do such things as importing raw footage from friends/family's vacation trips and produce edited, much more watchable versions on DVD.

But with the total re-design of iMovie, I now find I can't do much of anything with it without endless frustration, unless I'm just trying to work with short clips suitable for YouTube or social media websites.

I wanted to like the new versions, especially because they brought the ability to download content from most of the newer devices. iMovie 6 was really made with the assumption you'd be pulling DV content from a firewire camcorder using tape.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a really tough time finding exactly where I want to insert transitions or clip content at precise points with current iMovie versions? The ability to quickly scrub through the clips as they play back in a preview window causes me to overshoot things or skip over a small spot I want to play/replay repeatedly until I figure out exactly where a cut needs to happen, or some audio needs to be inserted/modified.

There is still a lot of stuff they need to fix or bring back from iMovie 9

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
Please tell me it's now possible to have video preview on a second display while using Mavericks?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
'tis nothing, Xcode this time is a whopping 2.1Gb with another 109Mb for the command line tools and, knowing recent Xcode installs, it'll make me redownload all the documentation again for another 1/2 gig.

Yup -- and it will get even more painful when the ISPs decide to begin charging by the gigabyte, like the mobile companies do. Then we might have to become more choosy about which updates we want.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Yup -- and it will get even more painful when the ISPs decide to begin charging by the gigabyte, like the mobile companies do. Then we might have to become more choosy about which updates we want.

Or visit the nearest Apple store . . .

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Bring back previously removed features...

Does anyone know if it brings back previously removed features such as
  • Split event clips (not the current split project clips)
  • Delete unwanted portions of event clips/Delete rejected portions of clips

Ginoviva

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
Its over between Mac and I for GOOD!!!

Why is iMovie for sale? One annoying thing about Apple is that everything is for sale. I just started my product in school and was specifically asked to use iMovie for the project only to find out it's for sale contrary to what my project lecturer said in class. What is the point for me using mac if I can't afford apps for my projects? I am so pissed off right now like I feel like exploding. I always have to buy recommended apps for my project and I find it senseless, maybe its time I join a bunch of my mates who have stopped using apple because every project app is for sale. Now I have to opt out of the project for this block because I can't afford iMovie as a poor little girl struggling to earn my degree oversees. Well, I better advise myself.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.