Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smille461

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
I was wondering if any body could help me set up a home network. I have been having problems recently and I can't figure out why. I currently have an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad and 2 iPhones connected to an AirPort Extreme wirelessly and have a 5-port Ethernet switch connected to the Extreme for DVR box, Playstation 4, and Xbox 360. Everything was originally working and after about a week it failed me. My internet stopped working all together. I tried to reset everything and it wouldn't work again. Idk if I over loaded the system or what but can't seem to figure anything out. Thanks in advance.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Verify internet access with an ethernet cable directly connected to the cable or DSL modem. If that works, they add in the Extreme and verify you can get internet access via ethernet cable downstream from from the Extreme. Then add the switch downstream and verify you can get internet connection via ethernet cable.

smille461

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
The airport shows that it's not connected like the orange circle is next to it on the Airport Manager.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Do you have a modem/router provided by the ISP? Is it set to pass through (DHCP off)? If not is your TC DHCP switched off? If you haven't changed anything recently, have you tried contacting the ISP? They could have disabled your connection. Which ISP are you using?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I was wondering if any body could help me set up a home network. I have been having problems recently and I can't figure out why. I currently have an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad and 2 iPhones connected to an AirPort Extreme wirelessly and have a 5-port Ethernet switch connected to the Extreme for DVR box, Playstation 4, and Xbox 360. Everything was originally working and after about a week it failed me. My internet stopped working all together. I tried to reset everything and it wouldn't work again. Idk if I over loaded the system or what but can't seem to figure anything out. Thanks in advance.

That is very little load for an AirPort Extreme. On my school network, a 5th gen handles 90+ clients across 8 APs (Expresses, hard wired).

The first step to take is to plug the Ethernet cable from the modem into your computer. You will want to reboot the modem after plugging it in. See if you get internet.

If you do shut down the Extreme and modem and hook the modem to the Extremes WAN port. Start the modem wait 2 mins then start the Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.