Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maki483

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
I need help, I have no idea how to get rid of this spyware that I believe my ex put on my macbook pro.

I have looked around online to try and find a way to get rid of it but I can't find anything. All I know is that I found this random file called DaveGrohl10.7 and when I looked it up I found out that it was a spyware that acts like Keychain.

Please I really need help with this.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I would start by putting that file in the trash.
Then check start up items for anything unfamiliar and remove those.
Then reboot.
Then install little snitch.

Then you can see if anything else is asking for permission to use the network that you dont recognise.

If that doesn't work, you are into a world of hurt, a fresh install, recover data only, re-install apps one at a time.

p.s. from what I can see its not spyware, its a password recovery program.
So its possible it was used to access your passwords.

If I'm right, you need to change all your passwords online, which it pretty much seems you should be doing anyway because of Heartbleed. If someone is snooping on you, email would be the obvious first thing to change, followed by any financial accounts, eg bank, credit cards etc.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Honestly the best way is to backup your files (being careful) then boot up and use the disk utility to wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

If your ex managed to fall short on basic malware avoidance you don't know what else is on there and a compromised keychain is the worst thing you could be looking at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.