Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Hi all

My 3rd Gen apple TV has just developed the weirdest fault.

Basically, it works (slowly) in other words it turns on, and shows the latest movies in the store etc. but when it comes to accessing anything via the store or streaming from my iMac, I just get the 'accessing..... ' message and spinning wheel.

I have never come across this before - and have increasingly tried all the troubleshooting steps that include

* restarting
* unplugging
* logging out and back in (if i can ever get back in of course)
* deleting the network connection and re-instating.
and, finally, as all else failed something I have never done before...
* plugging in with micro USB to iTunes and doing a complete restore.

My final step should have completely erased everything and got me right back to the out of the box square one stage.

Still no joy.
There is nothing wrong with my network, or internet connection.

I am out of warranty and a visit to a genius might be in order although I'm not sure what they will do after 2 years from purchase.

Also, tempted to just cut my losses and go and buy a new one (I get a lot of use out of it) as its only £89 now... but there is a new one around the corner apparently.

Anyone had this problem before?

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Try genius appointment first. If it's developed a wierd fault Apple may replace, you could be lucky. A fresh restore/restart doesn't loose much with the ATV so nothing to be afraid of there I'd say.

We have 2 ATV3's and not had anything like this before, we do get intermittent issues and drop outs but that's due to poor WiFi, you might try connecting via Ethernet cable to the router to see if issue persists. As you note there are rumours of a new device so I would not buy a new one just yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.