Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Blocks Bloom.fm iAd Advertising Ahead of U.K. iTunes Radio Launch

London-based streaming-music service Bloom.fm says it has been blocked from advertising on Apple's iAd network because it is a threat to the Cupertino company's iTunes radio, reports CNET. Similar to iTunes Radio, Bloom.fm offers genre and artist-based streaming radio stations with a library of over 22 million tracks.
Quote:
"We were surprised at Apple's decision to ban us from their iAd network as their iTunes Radio service isn't even available in the UK," the spokesman told CNET. "Bloom.fm gives you 22 million tracks for £1 a month -- the price of a single download on iTunes -- so I can see why they'd want to protect their business."
Apple may be blocking Bloom.fm as it prepares to launch its iTunes Radio service in the U.K. The service debuted in the U.S. alongside the release of iOS 7 last fall and was recently extended to Australia. It is expected to debut in the U.K. sometime in early 2014.

Over the past several months, some iPhone owners in the U.K. have reported intermittent connections to the iTunes Radio service, suggesting Apple is in the final stages of preparing the product for an imminent launch. Bringing iTunes Radio to countries worldwide is a top priority for Apple, says senior vice president of Internet software and services Eddy Cue, who confirmed the company plans to offer the service "in more than 100 countries."

Article Link: Apple Blocks Bloom.fm iAd Advertising Ahead of U.K. iTunes Radio Launch
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:20 AM   #2
japanime
macrumors 65816

Blimey!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:21 AM   #3
xizdun
macrumors member

Is it even LEGAL for Apple to do such a thing?
xizdun is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:22 AM   #4
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

£1 a month? Talk about race to the bottom. I only own my music, so even free isn't enticing to me.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:22 AM   #5
superliu
macrumors newbie

Apple is taking over the radio industry! (I didn't say if this is a good or a bad thing)
superliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:22 AM   #6
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizdun View Post
They have some of the best lawyers in the world.... yes, it's legal, until a court says otherwise.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Ben Dixon
macrumors member

I'm really surprised it's taken so long to launch over here. I had it appear in my iTunes app back in November/December last year and expected it to launch in the not too distant future following that. 4/5 months later, I'm still waiting.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:23 AM   #8
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

If this is true it's pretty sad. But I guess that's one way to ensure the success of your offering. Hopefully there's another reason.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:27 AM   #9
samcraig
macrumors G5

It's their ad network - they can do what they want ultimately until legally required to change.

That being said - it should be clear that Apple does not like competition.
samcraig is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:32 AM   #10
kemal
macrumors regular

Great way to give Bloom.fm free exposure!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:33 AM   #11
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by superliu View Post
Apple is taking over the radio industry! (I didn't say if this is a good or a bad thing)
Not really, Pandora and Spotify have too much of a lead on them.
winston1236 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:34 AM   #12
ds2000
macrumors member

This can't be legal
ds2000 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
When is the last time you saw an ABC ad on NBC? Or heard one radio station advertise on another? Not really anything new.
Laird Knox is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:35 AM   #14
bsolar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
My guess is that for it to be illegal it would require Apple to be considered abusing a dominant position to unfairly compete against Bloom.fm:

Quote:
Market shares are a useful first indication of the importance of each firm on the market in comparison to the others. The Commission's view is that the higher the market share, and the longer the period of time over which it is held, the more likely it is to be a preliminary indication of dominance. If a company has a market share of less than 40%, it is unlikely to be dominant.
Quote:
To be in a dominant position is not in itself illegal. A dominant company is entitled to compete on the merits as any other company. However, a dominant company has a special responsibility to ensure that its conduct does not distort competition. Examples of behaviour that may amount to an abuse include: requiring that buyers purchase all units of a particular product only from the dominant company (exclusive purchasing); setting prices at a loss-making level (predation); refusing to supply input indispensable for competition in an ancillary market; charging excessive prices.
bsolar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:37 AM   #15
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Wow - this is a pathetically sad move on Apple's part. They're counting on customers not knowing about better services so that they'll use Apple's.

Personally, I love Spotify. I briefly tried iTunes Radio before Spotify became free on iOS, but as soon as Spotify offered that, it was a no-brainer.

I'm a bit interested in this Bloom.fm… I've never heard of it before. It sounds cheaper than Spotify… is it basically the same thing at a lower price? How is their library? I've been quite impressed with how much Spotify has… the biggest name I have wanted and not been able to get on Spotify is Rammstein.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:41 AM   #16
Alenore
macrumors member

If it's legal, then why isn't Google banning Apple/iPhone queries from his Search Engine? :>
Alenore is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:44 AM   #17
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You ever see an advertisement for an ABC TV show while watching a CBS TV show? Me neither.

Yes it is legal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenore View Post
If it's legal, then why isn't Google banning Apple/iPhone queries from his Search Engine? :>
Because Google's mobile ad revenue would be cut by 80%. Google actually pays Apple to make Google the default search engine on iOS. However, Siri is separate and Apple has chosen to keep Siri's use of search engine a closed choice. It currently uses Bing (like Microsoft's new Cortana).
BC2009 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:45 AM   #18
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Without any proof this sounds like a bit of free advertising for a company no one has ever heard of.
irnchriz is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:47 AM   #19
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Wow - this is a pathetically sad move on Apple's part. They're counting on customers not knowing about better services so that they'll use Apple's.

Personally, I love Spotify. I briefly tried iTunes Radio before Spotify became free on iOS, but as soon as Spotify offered that, it was a no-brainer.

I'm a bit interested in this Bloom.fm… I've never heard of it before. It sounds cheaper than Spotify… is it basically the same thing at a lower price? How is their library? I've been quite impressed with how much Spotify has… the biggest name I have wanted and not been able to get on Spotify is Rammstein.
Yeah, I'd prefer Apple used Bloom.fm as competition to push them forward, not rely on consumer ignorance to push Apple iTunes radio adoption.

Still, it's backfired. Thanks to banning them from iAds, I've now heard of Bloom for the first time. I'll be checking out now if they're available here!

Edit - I just checked what they offer for £1, and no thanks! Can stream from Spotify for free, and have no interest in "borrowing" tracks that I lose if I unsubscribe, I'll buy from eMusic instead.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:47 AM   #20
1member1
macrumors 6502

I hope this is not the case. apple should let everyone advertise.
1member1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:47 AM   #21
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Don't stop here Apple, a lot of countries still waiting
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:48 AM   #22
bsolar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenore View Post
Google is undobtely dominant in the search market: that's why it cannot leverage it to unfarily compete and cannot tamper with search results like you suggest.
bsolar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:49 AM   #23
selfsilent
macrumors newbie

If you read the iAD T&C's you'll see that Apple have the right to refuse companies advertising for any reason they see fit. So all you "is it legal" people, I'm guessing you are American. Yes it is legal and no, you can't sue.
selfsilent is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:50 AM   #24
MacHiavelli
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
It is expected to debut in the U.K. sometime in early 2014.
Early 2014 has long gone....
MacHiavelli is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:51 AM   #25
randomdude
macrumors regular

People have been saying 'ahead of UK iTunes Radio Launch' for a long time now
When it's not even on their iTunes or iOS UK Pages yet.
And it's not closer to Mid 2014 not early 2014

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion