Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
So, my brother has my old iMac.
Its running well.
Just before he got it i wiped it by downloading a fresh Mavericks install that overwrote everything, it wasn't an upgrade. (reinstall from USB)

He's just run into an irritation / problem.

He keeps getting prompts telling him there are new versions of Keynote, Pages and Numbers , but the sign in box is my Apple ID but greyed out so he can't change it.

He's signed out of the App Store and created his own ID, signed out of iCloud and signed in using his ID.

Where else is my Apple ID being stored? Is there something else I need to do to wipe my identity off this Mac?

TIA

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is the issue that he has now logged in to the App Store under his AppleID and now cannot update those apps? If that is the issue, it is because the apps were not purchased (even if free) with his AppleID.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I guess that's it. I thought they were free on Mavericks to everyone but that's not the case then?

So, ironically he doesn't use them he just doesn't want to be continually prompted to download them. Any ideas?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I guess that's it. I thought they were free on Mavericks to everyone but that's not the case then?

So, ironically he doesn't use them he just doesn't want to be continually prompted to download them. Any ideas?

No, they are not free with Mavs. They are free with a new Mac. So when you fire up your new mac you go to the App Store and login with your AppleID and "claim" your free iLife and iWorks apps and DL them. You probably did this when you got the Mac.

Since your brother never got the apps with his AppleID, he can't update them.

I believe if he just deletes the apps it will stop prompting him to update them.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
It just occurred to me that I did originally buy these and gave him the disks, so if he uninstalls them and then reinstalls from the disks he might be prompted to upgrade to the latest version under his Apple ID.
I might ask him to try that anyway then he'll have them if he changes his mind.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It just occurred to me that I did originally buy these and gave him the disks, so if he uninstalls them and then reinstalls from the disks he might be prompted to upgrade to the latest version under his Apple ID.
I might ask him to try that anyway then he'll have them if he changes his mind.

Ahh... so you have the original (I think it was iWorks 09) disk? I had that installed also and when the free iWorks came out it allowed me to update to those for free then delete the old version. So yes, if you have that DVD, he can delete the current version then install the DVD version, then from there he should be able to upgrade free to the new App Store version and delete old version.

Worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.