Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Hello all. Can anyone let me know if they've seen a battery fail like this before? The battery pouch has suddenly expanded and burst through the outer casing. Is it dangerous?

It's from a late Mbp 17"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's rare but older batteries are more susceptible to expanding. Definitely don't charge it (fire hazard). I don't know about your warranty status, but you should go to the Apple Store and get it checked out.

SquirrelGirl

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
It is potentially dangerous, if it were to leak.

How old is the battery? What was the battery health like before this?

Apple will dispose of it for you safely, and depending on the life/cause you can get/buy a new one. Get to an AS or give them a call.

If you search "swollen battery" you will find this to be a scary but common problem for older batteries as stated above.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Hello all. Can anyone let me know if they've seen a battery fail like this before? The battery pouch has suddenly expanded and burst through the outer casing. Is it dangerous?

It's from a late Mbp 17"

Well, assuming you are 'no longer USING it' I suppose it is not really dangerous.. Any more!! ;)

That being said, there really is no such thing as a late Mbp 17" any more, and I must wonder if it is a REAL Apple Battery as well.. I hope it didn't hurt your computer no matter what the case!! Good luck with all :apple:

djtp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Definitely a real battery, but was an old battery.
I'll take it to the apple shop to recycle - from my experience of pouch cells they are dangerous in this state.

----------

Thank you for the replies and support :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Definitely a real battery, but was an old battery.
I'll take it to the apple shop to recycle - from my experience of pouch cells they are dangerous in this state.

----------

Thank you for the replies and support :)

Bring your MacBook and maybe they will give you a new battery. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.