Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I had my Launchpad all neatly organized with apps sorted into folder/box categories. I clicked it today and where I had one page with close to a dozen categories, now I have SEVEN pages of apps all sitting out of their category boxes save like two which only have one app in them now. How/when/why they got destroyed is beyond me. I don't use them very often, but it was nice to have them organized (easier than a 4 pages worth of Apps not sorted by category). Apparently, Apple must have updated something (I can think of no other explanation how 95% of my folder/category boxes are just gone and all the apps within them sitting out in random order (no simple way to alphabetize or anything which is why Launchpad pretty much sucks as it's implemented now without a LOT of work moving app icons around (no easy way to lasso a bunch and move them to another page either, it seems) and whatever happened, it just wiped out everything I had saved there. Nice. Not.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I had my Launchpad all neatly organized with apps sorted into folder/box categories. I clicked it today and where I had one page with close to a dozen categories, now I have SEVEN pages of apps all sitting out of their category boxes save like two which only have one app in them now. How/when/why they got destroyed is beyond me. I don't use them very often, but it was nice to have them organized (easier than a 4 pages worth of Apps not sorted by category). Apparently, Apple must have updated something (I can think of no other explanation how 95% of my folder/category boxes are just gone and all the apps within them sitting out in random order (no simple way to alphabetize or anything which is why Launchpad pretty much sucks as it's implemented now without a LOT of work moving app icons around (no easy way to lasso a bunch and move them to another page either, it seems) and whatever happened, it just wiped out everything I had saved there. Nice. Not.

Are you sure this isn't an isolated incident? It has never happened to me.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Are you sure this isn't an isolated incident? It has never happened to me.

I'm not sure of anything. I don't know what "event/quirk/whatever" caused it, specifically. I just know what a PITA it is to organize 7 pages of apps in Launchpad when Apple doesn't give you even the most basic tools to make it easier (e.g. click/drag multiple icons from page-to-page or a way to sort by alphabetical, etc.) like Finder can do for folders. You cannot even control what appears there (e.g. aliases can appear and perhaps you don't want them since they are duplicates and yet I've found sometimes you can't delete them for reasons unknown).

I certainly don't want to spend 40+ minutes re-organizing only to find it fall apart again for reasons unknown. Something made all those folder/category boxes delete and their contents spill out across multiple pages. I don't think it was the phases of the moon. It does make me think it might not be a bad idea to start sorting apps by folders inside the applications folder itself, though. Like a messy Start Menu (Windows 7 and earlier at least), if you have too many apps, it gets to be a mess from the dock, eventually.

I've sorted Games into a separate folder (aliases in some cases since Steam and what not wants things where it puts them) for many years now for that reason (long before Launchpad appeared), but it's getting to the point where there's still too many apps with only two categories. I had Launchpad neatly organized by multiple categories, but that left everything in a nice alphabetical overall listing (useful when things don't fit neatly into a single category or you forget what the heck something does but remember the name, etc.). So it was kind of best of both worlds option having folder-like listings without having to move applications into separate folders like I did for most games.

I think many people have hated Launchpad precisely because it lacks any kind of organizational tools other than drag/drop into groups. But once organized by category and arranged alphabetically inside each group category, it's fairly useful. Apple could make it simpler to organize and maintain as such, though. A Finder-like window with Finder-like sorting options to group things would be a lot faster than dragging apps one at a time or at the very least, a right-click pop-up menu to organize within a grouping or screen by alphabetical/age/whatever automatically. In other words, this incident wouldn't be that big of a deal if it weren't such a PITA to organize in the first place.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Well, it's pretty hard to find something you're looking for in 6-10 pages of apps when none are even so much as in alphabetical order. But then that describes the iPhone perfectly as well so obviously they think because it's a hit, so would Launchpad be a hit with total random uselessness. A little organization control and it's potentially useful, but that's crazy talk at Apple, I'm sure.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I had a similar experience last year. Safe to say, it was the last straw for me. I use the Dock and Spotlight more frequently now, even considered Alfred as a quick launcher (didn't like it though). Launch Pad is one of those very poor iOS transplants, with all the superfluous limitations of the donor.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Putting it simply for you, but using a launcher that isn't actually your desktop is disingenuous. You have to open another window with the launcher in it which just slows down your workflow.

Sure you can just set it to a hot corner, but then you have to open up a folder within Launchpad, or the alternative is to have your apps strewn all over the place.

Launchers suck, there is a reason why Apple killed At Ease in the first place and why we don't have a launcher app, it sucks, it wastes time and eventually it will go down in history as another Apple brain fritz moment like Sherlock, or worse, voice recognition in OS 8.6 which ended up locking people out of their computers permanently.

Launchpad is another example of a Scott Forstall disaster and there's a reason Forstall was fired. It is an immensely pointless and extravagant waste of resources for an operating system that is not based on being touch friendly.

OS X is about gestures not touch.

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Putting it simply for you, but using a launcher that isn't actually your desktop is disingenuous.

You have to open another window with the launcher in it which just slows down your workflow.

And in Windows prior to Windows 8, you had to click the Start button first. OMG! The HORROR!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Sure you can just set it to a hot corner, but then you have to open up a folder within Launchpad, or the alternative is to have your apps strewn all over the place.

So don't use it. ;)

Launchers suck

Tell that to Microsoft. It made them rich and now people are paying to get the old Start button back because they "suck" so much. Honestly, you seem to not know what you're talking about.

it will go down in history as another Apple brain fritz moment like Sherlock, or worse, voice recognition in OS 8.6 which ended up locking people out of their computers permanently.

History? You act like anyone gives a crap. You seem to forget that 90% of the rest of the world uses Windows. They couldn't care less what Apple does since Apple isn't even in their thoughts save perhaps an iPhone.

Launchpad is another example of a Scott Forstall disaster and there's a reason Forstall was fired. It is an immensely pointless and extravagant waste of resources for an operating system that is not based on being touch friendly.

OMG. A Scott Forstall disaster? REALLY? That JOKER they have in there right now named Johnny is the disaster. Scott brought the iPhone to the success it is. Johnny Five is trying to destroy it. Apparently paisley is cool as are vector graphics when the rest of the world has 3D and photo-realism? Talk about a step BACKWARD. But then we live in a oddball society where black-rim glasses are somehow "in" and "cool" when they look so freaking ridiculously AWFUL. Twenty years from now, people will look back and say, I can't believe people wore those ugly glasses like they already do for the giant 1980s glasses and the ridiculously ugly horn-rimmed glasses of the '50s and '60s. There is no accounting for taste and it's clear we are living in the century of bad taste. Which brings us to....

OS X is about gestures not touch.

This is why I replied because is SO presumptuous about how others use OS X. So OS X is about gestures? I have NEVER used a "gesture" in OS X beyond the required combos to get scrolling and the 2nd mouse button functionality. Why? For one thing, I try to avoid use of trackpads! A LOT of us don't like trackpads. They're not comfortable to use over long periods of time and are a PITA to do complex things like Photoshop work. I always bring a mouse with me in my laptop case and only use the trackpad for short periods where it would take to much time or there's too little space to use a mouse. Apple makes it 10x worse by not providing a proper 2nd (let alone 3rd) track pad button. Frankly, that makes it awful to use, but instead of giving us the extra button with the option of not using it, they took away the first button and integrated it into the pad. Yes, that looks nice, but it's now very easy to accidentally click things.

Apple is already in the history books for the asinine idea of using a ONE button mouse. Apple NEVER admitted how bad an idea that was and when they did add an extra button, they had to hide it so as to pretend they still have one button for Windows folks who for those that have not used a Mac largely still believe to this day that it uses one button. Steve could not admit his mistakes. Bad input ideas is one of them. For example, it was a mistake NOT to include at least the option for a professional stylus with the iPad. Artists NEED them and a lot of other people prefer them to painting and pushing with their hands like some kindergarten level art class. Apple refuses to correct this since Steve made it clear he wanted no stylus, even though it's obvious the iPad would be much better with official support for one.

Yes, the Launcher is half-arse implemented and PITA to use as it is now. However, they could easily improve the design and tools to edit how it looks. I think it could be very useful as an alternative for some things. For example, organizing categories of Apps without having to move Apps into separate folders is a good use for it. Apple makes this a pain to set up with the total lack of quick organizational tools and then it sometimes resets itself for some bizarre reason, ruining the setup (they could save the settings and let you reload them, but no).

I ALREADY have to click on my Applications folder to get to many apps since believe it or not, I can't fit every app I use on the main dock. There's just too many of them and having too many instead of just the most used ones makes for awful clutter which can waste more time than a simple extra click. So I keep games and other apps separate from each other and set those folders on the Dock and then just my most used apps. The point is that having to click on a Launcher icon is no more work than having to click on an Apps or Games folder icon on the dock. It's the same amount of work. Your entire argument is NULL and VOID on that basis alone.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you don't feed trolls. You're argument is null and void because you don't even begin to have an understanding about what I'm saying, or the company you're talking about.

Here's a tip. If you love the Metro UI so much go and use it, because by the time I wait for the lauchpad to load I've already got the apps open I without even going anywhere near the launch pad, it's called stacks, you could learn to use it sometime.

I don't even know or remotely understand why you're using a Mac and for the record, Ives invented the iPod which lead to Forstall being employed, so I've got no idea where you're going with this... And your argument is completely inconsistent where on one hand you lambast Ives yet on the other you promote Metro and its flat view anyway.

Last edited:

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
Unscrewed I suppose as my Launch Pad is fine with nested apps still in folders. I mostly use the dock or dock menu to open apps since the Launch Pad is a bit fiddly and slow to use. If you only have a couple dozen apps it seems fine and is natural for iPad natives. But I have hundreds of apps...

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
As well sorted as my Launchpad is I'm in the same situation, and without a touch screen, using launchpad is a pain. I could conceive of a touch screen iDevice running Launchpad and it might work, just like Metro on a Surface, but not on my Mac thanks.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you don't feed trolls. You're argument is null and void because you don't even begin to have an understanding about what I'm saying, or the company you're talking about.

If you can't even be bothered to read a post, you have no business reply to them, let alone dismissing them out of hand as trolling. In fact, making inflammatory accusations of trolling when you can't even read a post is much closer to trolling than simply given an opinion you don't like. You should learn the difference. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.