Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
The iPhone 4s and up have similar features. Is it worth upgrading or wait for iPhone 6?

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Yes they do let me list the differences in features between the 5S and 4S.
AirDrop (which is duplicatable with Messages)
Burst Mode (Though it does have a slower version)

Believe it or not that is the entire list. :eek:

I don't know what other features you're talking about.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Speed! Whilst there isn't much difference between the 5 and 5S, there is a noticeable difference between the 4S and the 5 on iOS7.1
A much faster processor in the 5 and 5S and not to mention 1GB of RAM compared to 412Mb in the 4S...

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Speed! Whilst there isn't much difference between the 5 and 5S, there is a noticeable difference between the 4S and the 5 on iOS7.1
A much faster processor in the 5 and 5S and not to mention 1GB of RAM compared to 412Mb in the 4S...

There is like a 1 second difference in opening things for the first time.

This isn't a bad thing though, it's good to know that when they say it has iOS 7 it actually has iOS 7's features.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
There is like a 1 second difference in opening things for the first time.

This isn't a bad thing though, it's good to know that when they say it has iOS 7 it actually has iOS 7's features.

The i5 and 5S arguably struggle for RAM with iOS7, so I dread to think what 412Mb would do to my performance.
I think the processor, RAM and screen size are the biggest upgrades when we're talking differences between the 4S and the 5/5S.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
There aren't a lot of software features that are worth upgrading for, but the hardware is fantastic.

The iPhone 6 is rumored to come out in another 5-6 months, so if I was in your position I'd hold out until then. The 4S is a more then capable device using 7.1 (I am on it right now). If you were to buy a 5S now then I gaurantee you'll be bumbed out when the redesigned 6 arrives.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
There aren't a lot of software features that are worth upgrading for, but the hardware is fantastic.

The iPhone 6 is rumored to come out in another 5-6 months, so if I was in your position I'd hold out until then. The 4S is a more then capable device using 7.1 (I am on it right now). If you were to buy a 5S now then I gaurantee you'll be bumbed out when the redesigned 6 arrives.

You can say that about any tech. My girlfriend's HTC ONE M8 absolutely slays my iPhone 5 in most areas and it's the latest tech. Soon something will come along to slay that.
The 5S is only halfway through its life cycle, so I wouldn't say that it should be disregarded. If the i6 was out in 6-8 weeks then I would agree with you to hold on, but 6 months?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
The i5 and 5S arguably struggle for RAM with iOS7, so I dread to think what 412Mb would do to my performance.
I think the processor, RAM and screen size are the biggest upgrades when we're talking differences between the 4S and the 5/5S.

The OS animations sometimes stutter when opening certain apps, it is not slow however. The screen size difference is very small as well. I have never seen an iPhone that runs so smoothly on it's third OS.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Why does everyone who has and iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s have to put down the 4s to feel better about their iPhone. The 4S is about 1 second slower than the 5 and stutters, otherwise it's the same as my 5c.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why does everyone who has and iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s have to put down the 4s to feel better about their iPhone. The 4S is about 1 second slower than the 5 and stutters, otherwise it's the same as my 5c.

I wasn't putting it down, merely stating facts. There is more to speed than navigating the UI and opening apps.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada

Attachments

• iphone5s-cpu-chart.png
    iphone5s-cpu-chart.png
    628.7 KB · Views: 94

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

I don't know what other features you're talking about.
What other features? Really? :confused: :eek:
LTE data speeds
Larger, brighter screen
Dual-band Wi-Fi
Thinner, Lighter
M7 'motion co-processor'
Rear camera with larger aperture (better low-light pictures)
Automatic image stabilization
Record 720P video at 120 frames per second
True-Tone dual-flash for better color when flash is used
HD quality front camera
Touch ID fingerprint recognition

I loved my 4s, but no way in heck I'd say "burst mode and AirDrop" are the only difference between it an a 5s.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
What other features? Really? :confused: :eek:
LTE data speeds
Larger, brighter screen
Dual-band Wi-Fi
Thinner, Lighter
M7 'motion co-processor'
Rear camera with larger aperture (better low-light pictures)
Automatic image stabilization
Record 720P video at 120 frames per second
True-Tone dual-flash for better color when flash is used
HD quality front camera
Touch ID fingerprint recognition

Touch ID is an obvious exclusive feature, but the rest are already available on the 4s, they're simply an older version of the same thing on it. This isn't like how the iPhone 4 doesn't have Panorama or Siri, or the transparency effects, or Parallax. Or even FaceTime over cellular.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Touch ID is an obvious exclusive feature, but the rest are already available on the 4s, they're simply an older version of the same thing on it. This isn't like how the iPhone 4 doesn't have Panorama or Siri, or the transparency effects, or Parallax. Or even FaceTime over cellular.

Feels like you're trying to prove something to yourself, look, if you want to stick with your 4S, stick with it and leave us alone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Touch ID is an obvious exclusive feature, but the rest are already available on the 4s
LTE isn't available on the 4s. And if you're going to try and make the point that LTE isn't a new feature because the 4s already had data, then you might as well just end the thread here.
The M7 co-processor counting footsteps/etc isn't available on the 4s.
The extra data that fits on the bigger screen isn't available on the 4s.

----------

Feels like you're trying to prove something to yourself, look, if you want to stick with your 4S, stick with it and leave us alone.
Amen. Starts a thread about the 4s being too similar to the 5s, then complains "Why does everyone who has and iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s have to put down the 4s to feel better about their iPhone." when people start pointing out the differences. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.