Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I bought a new 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina.

I opened terminal and used the following codes to speed up Safari (it wasn't slow, I just thought maybe it would be even faster).

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.25

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitResourceTimedLayoutDelay 0.0001

I don't think much happened so I posed the exact same codes again except with 1.0 at the end of each, which I think is default.

Do you think I damaged anything? Is it back to default now like it was when I first bought it?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Does anyone know if these commands even changed anything in the first place? I'm thinking these commands might have been applicable only to older versions of Safari.

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
I just ran these commands:

Code:
defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay
defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitResourceTimedLayoutDelay

and both times the reply was:

Code:
The domain/default pair of (/Users/<<USERNAME>>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari, WebKitResourceTimedLayoutDelay) does not exist

My guess is: you didn't change a thing.

Reactions: Altemose

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
These commands didn't damage your Mac - at worst they messed up the preferences for Safari, but my guess is that they did nothing.

There *are* commands that you can run in the terminal that will do irreparable damage to your install (note, not your hardware, just the install of OS X and your data) that would require you to reinstall and restore from backup so it is strongly recommended that you find out what a command will do before you execute it and that you double check for typos so that a stray / or missing " doesn't cause you a world of hassle.

Also don't assume that someone who posted a command on the internet has double checked it for typos or errors. If you just blindly cut and paste you might regret it.

TL:DR; Be careful when executing commands in the terminal when you do not know what they will do.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
These commands didn't damage your Mac - at worst they messed up the preferences for Safari, but my guess is that they did nothing.

There *are* commands that you can run in the terminal that will do irreparable damage to your install (note, not your hardware, just the install of OS X and your data) that would require you to reinstall and restore from backup so it is strongly recommended that you find out what a command will do before you execute it and that you double check for typos so that a stray / or missing " doesn't cause you a world of hassle.

Also don't assume that someone who posted a command on the internet has double checked it for typos or errors. If you just blindly cut and paste you might regret it.

TL:DR; Be careful when executing commands in the terminal when you do not know what they will do.

Do you know how to change my preferences for Safari back to default?

Thanks!

----------

I just ran these commands:

Code:
defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay
defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitResourceTimedLayoutDelay

and both times the reply was:

Code:
The domain/default pair of (/Users/<<USERNAME>>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari, WebKitResourceTimedLayoutDelay) does not exist

My guess is: you didn't change a thing.

I ran them individually with the numerical value after i.e. first I ran

then

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada

Thanks!

----------

then

FYI, the code that corresponds to these preference lines was removed eons ago from WebKit (in the 2005 era). So in effect they don't do anything (except maybe a minor placebo effect ;) )

Reactions: Sully

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I don't think there is a magic command to speed up Safari.

As other's have mentioned, these commands don't do anything anyway, so you didn't damage any thing.

If you're worried about that sort of thing, then don't run commands in Terminal. You don't need to anyway unless you know what you're doing. There ARE commands that could force you to reinstall everything, so best you just don't mess with Terminal if you don't know how to use it.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
To summarize what everyone else is saying, Safari does not use those settings anymore, your Safari preference file did not have entries for those keywords before you ran those commands, and to restore the file to its proper state you should run:

defaults delete com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay
defaults delete com.apple.Safari WebKitResourceTimedLayoutDelay

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Thanks!

----------

then

You didn't do an damage as those codes weren't used since the Panther or Tiger days out of memory!

To reset your Safari preferences, simply click "Safari" in the menu bar by the :apple: and hit "Reset Safari". Select the appropriate check boxes for what you want reset and you are good to go.

I recommend staying away from Terminal if you don't know what commands do!

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
You didn't do an damage as those codes weren't used since the Panther or Tiger days out of memory!

To reset your Safari preferences, simply click "Safari" in the menu bar by the :apple: and hit "Reset Safari". Select the appropriate check boxes for what you want reset and you are good to go.

I recommend staying away from Terminal if you don't know what commands do!

I doubt that would reset preferences outside of the GUI, but I could be wrong.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Sorry, it does. Choosing Reset Safari from the menu bar resets all preferences that the average user has business touching :D That is probably the best explanation I can give.

As well as the ones they do. ;)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

You are fine. Those changes you made were never applied because Mavericks caches plist files and you would have had to follow this process to get rid of the default cached version for your changes to stick. You did not do that, so no changes to the Safari plist were saved.

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
Who told you to do this? Sounds like the old "Delete System 32 to make your Windows Faster" troll trick lol (By the way, never ever do this!). Stay out of Terminal unless you know what you are doing.

Reactions: old-wiz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.