Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kodcl10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Hi Guys! I have been using 1Password version 3.6.5 for iOS,
but am thinking of upgrading to 1password 4 for iOS.....

What's the main difference and i've heard that the only way to Sync
passwords now is with Dropbox or iCloud......?

Does anyone here use 1Password 4 for iOS and do you trust your
bank passwords in Dropbox or iCloud ??

Thanks Guys!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I just got 1Password a few days ago and I sync using iCloud. I do see an option for wifi sync too. Personally I don't trust drop box after I read that some emplyees can look at stuff.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I just got 1Password a few days ago and I sync using iCloud. I do see an option for wifi sync too. Personally I don't trust drop box after I read that some emplyees can look at stuff.

Keep in mind that your 1Password data is encrypted separately from the data in Dropbox. So, even if an employee of Dropbox were to be able to read your data, they'd have to know your master password in order to access your 1Password data. They wouldn't be able to just read your passwords.

I'm guessing you're already aware of this, but I wanted to point it out since it's easy to draw conclusions using your quote and I wanted to make sure no one drew the wrong conclusion.

We do in fact support wi-fi sync as well.

If anyone has any questions about 1Password for iOS (or Mac) please let me know! I'll be happy to help.

kodcl10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Hi Kyle, Thanks for the response!

So, let me get this correct, with version 4, i can choose
to only Sync via WiFi and not Dropbox or iCloud ?

thanks

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Hi Kyle, Thanks for the response!

So, let me get this correct, with version 4, i can choose
to only Sync via WiFi and not Dropbox or iCloud ?

thanks

Correct. You can sync via the following:

* Dropbox
* iCloud
* Wifi

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Keep in mind that your 1Password data is encrypted separately from the data in Dropbox. So, even if an employee of Dropbox were to be able to read your data, they'd have to know your master password in order to access your 1Password data. They wouldn't be able to just read your passwords.

I'm guessing you're already aware of this, but I wanted to point it out since it's easy to draw conclusions using your quote and I wanted to make sure no one drew the wrong conclusion.

We do in fact support wi-fi sync as well.

If anyone has any questions about 1Password for iOS (or Mac) please let me know! I'll be happy to help.

Ok thank you, I read the on-line thing you sent me after I posted this info. I also appricated the quick reply to my PM.

kodcl10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Kyle, What kind of Encryption do you use for your files ?

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Kyle, What kind of Encryption do you use for your files ?

We use AES-256 in 1Password 4.

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/

Please note that AES-256 isn't as big of a deal as you might think, you can read a blog post here about why we switched to AES-256:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/03/09/guess-why-were-moving-to-256-bit-aes-keys/

We use Apple's own encryption libraries, which were not affected by the Heartbleed issue. That was OpenSSL.

Let me know if that helps answer your question :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.