Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Hi everyone.

I've got an annoying issue with Aperture that I've had for a few months and has spanned a few updates. This issue is when I click any form of export images, aperture crashes immediately.

I can still upload to flickr and Facebook via Aperture but the only way I can export at the moment is by dragging an image onto my desktop or into a finder window. However this is then at my preset of 50% size jpg.

It's a bit of a pain as sometimes I want to get older images off that I haven't got saved apart from my Aperture Library.

I've removed and re-installed aperture, repaired the library etc, no luck.

Anyone had this issue? And has anyone resolved it?

Thanks

Ross.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi everyone.

I've got an annoying issue with Aperture that I've had for a few months and has spanned a few updates. This issue is when I click any form of export images, aperture crashes immediately.

I can still upload to flickr and Facebook via Aperture but the only way I can export at the moment is by dragging an image onto my desktop or into a finder window. However this is then at my preset of 50% size jpg.

It's a bit of a pain as sometimes I want to get older images off that I haven't got saved apart from my Aperture Library.

I've removed and re-installed aperture, repaired the library etc, no luck.

Anyone had this issue? And has anyone resolved it?

Thanks

Ross.

Ross,

First of all, your originals are all stored in the "package" unedited... so your full resolution photos are all there.

Have you followed all the steps in: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7821

Before doing that... I would make sure that I had a good backup of my computer... and I would also copy my entire Aperture Library to an external drive. I would also try opening Aperture using the library on the external and see if you had the same problem.

/Jim

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Ross,

First of all, your originals are all stored in the "package" unedited... so your full resolution photos are all there.

Have you followed all the steps in: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7821

Before doing that... I would make sure that I had a good backup of my computer... and I would also copy my entire Aperture Library to an external drive. I would also try opening Aperture using the library on the external and see if you had the same problem.

/Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response.

I've tried all three of those methods previously and to no avail unfortunately.

Thanks a lot for pointing me towards the the package with all my full-res images.

Ross

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You might test Aperture in another account.

Import some pictures in the new Library, apply some processing, then try to export : does it work ?

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
You might test Aperture in another account.

Import some pictures in the new Library, apply some processing, then try to export : does it work ?

Export worked on my second (work) account. I've had issues with my main account for a while and I have 3 years worth of things on that account. What's the best way of fixing the issue without creating a new account? Or, the best way to create a new profile and re-map all my files and folders?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
First you should do one more test : create a new Aperture Library in your first account, and try the same thing : import some pictures, apply some processing, export : does it work ?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Mmmm... these two tests (in your first and second accounts) suggest that something could be wrong in the Aperture preferences in your first account.

I would test deleting the two Aperture.plist.

First one :

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

Second one :

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

Quit Aperture.

Move the 2 files to the Trash, do NOT empty the Trash.

Reboot the Mac, launch Aperture (two new .plist files will be created), test exporting a picture.

If nothing changed, quit Aperture, go to the Trash, right click on the 2 files and put them back.

EDIT : there are 3 files more in ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture.
I don't know if deleting these could help or not.
I would try, though.

Do you have some export plug-ins ?

Last edited:

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Mmmm... these two tests (in your first and second accounts) suggest that something could be wrong in the Aperture preferences in your first account.

I would test deleting the two Aperture.plist.

First one :

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

Second one :

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

Quit Aperture.

Move the 2 files to the Trash, do NOT empty the Trash.

Reboot the Mac, launch Aperture (two new .plist files will be created), test exporting a picture.

If nothing changed, quit Aperture, go to the Trash, right click on the 2 files and put them back.

EDIT : there are 3 files more in ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture.
I don't know if deleting these could help or not.
I would try, though.

Do you have some export plug-ins ?

Thanks for these, but sadly no luck.

I haven't got any export plug ins either.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You might try deleting the whole com.apple.Aperture folder.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture

Quit Aperture, move the folder to the Trash, do not empty the Trash, launch Aperture, etc...

I have just tested this, Aperture still works fine for me.
(I have then put the folder back).

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
You might try deleting the whole com.apple.Aperture folder.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture

Quit Aperture, move the folder to the Trash, do not empty the Trash, launch Aperture, etc...

I have just tested this, Aperture still works fine for me.
(I have then put the folder back).

Nope, still no luck. Aperture still crashes instantly.

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
I didn't realise I could for Aperture? I haven't got applecare or anything.

I've kind of wanted to re-do my profile for a while, as things like finding system preferences in spotlight don't show up on my main profile but they do on my work profile and other little things like that. Though it'd be a massive pain in the backside. However I might hold off that until I upgrade.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
I've previously repaired disk permissions etc, though I just tried that password reset and that hasn't made a difference either, but thats not too important. Thanks though

The crash report is very very long.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Do you have a second Mac... or a friend with a Mac which has Aperture... to check your library.

It would be helpful to see if the failure is a result of the Aperture program, or the Aperture Library. Given that the it failed on a newly created library... it probably is the program itself.

/Jim

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Do you have a second Mac... or a friend with a Mac which has Aperture... to check your library.

It would be helpful to see if the failure is a result of the Aperture program, or the Aperture Library. Given that the it failed on a newly created library... it probably is the program itself.

/Jim

It worked fine on my second account. Admittedly it was a different library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.