Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Has anyone else had an issue with movies playing very dark when in full screen mode?

This has happened on my MBA as well as my Mini connected to a TV. When I am in full screen mode, the picture looks fine while the mouse and controls are lit. When they disappear after 5 seconds or so, the screen visibly changes settings to where everything is very dark. When the movie isn't in full-screen mode, it looks the same as when the controls are up.

I rented the second Hunger Games movie last night, and could hardly see what was going on during all of the nighttime scenes (I know I should have gone to regular screen, I didn't realize this would fix it until this morning).

I've pulled up some old DVD rips, and they aren't doing the same "auto-correct" of contrast and brightness that is happening when I'm playing a brand new movie.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
More detail, I have a 2013 i7 11" MBA and a 2012 i5 mini. Both are current with Mavericks.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
This will be my last bump. I'm really hoping someone out there has a solution, or at least has hopes this will go away with OSX 10.10

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Screen (display) resolution

On an old TV I have (not HD), they come through beautifully. But on my Apple Cinema Display, on my MBA, and on an HD TV I have - DARK. I've set my download preference to SD, but it doesn't always solve the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.