Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

LG Again Rumored to be Sole Supplier of Flexible Displays for iWatch

LG will be the sole supplier for flexible displays to be used in the iWatch as Apple looks to launch the device later this year in two sizes, according to a report from Korea's Naver [Google Translate, via GforGames].

iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike FuelBand

The report notes that Apple is targeting to sell 9 million iWatch units by the end of the year with LG's collaboration, as the device itself will be released in September. The report also claimed that the iWatch will come in two different sizes of 1.3 inches and 1.5 inches, which falls in line with previous reports about the smartwatch.

In February, a report from Korean publication Digital Daily shared similar details, noting also that LG would be the sole supplier of the panels for the iWatch, and that the Korean company would start mass production of the flexible displays starting in July 2014. Apple was rumored to have selected LG's panels because they were thin, light and provided adequate brightness with minimal power consumption; characteristics that the company is said to have been pursuing for the device's display.

In addition to being released in two separate sizes and featuring a flexible display, the iWatch is also rumored to come with a multitude of biometric sensors and include integration with the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. In a research note last week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi also estimated that Apple will release the iWatch at multiple price points and in a variety of materials, with the highest-end selling for thousands of dollars.

Apple is expected to reveal the iWatch later this year alongside iOS 8 and the iPhone 6.

Article Link: LG Again Rumored to be Sole Supplier of Flexible Displays for iWatch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:44 AM   #2
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

All this iwatch talk is really telling. This is going to happen. We all would insist to be notified at WWDC but it certainly won't be surprised on us till toward the holiday season.

I for one welcome out new furtistic handcuffs.

What a crazy time we live in.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:45 AM   #3
peace4al
macrumors newbie

Image retention/uneven colors ?
peace4al is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:49 AM   #4
horace528
macrumors regular

Good Guy LG. Always in the back, providing materials.
horace528 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:50 AM   #5
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

It is very exciting to see what iWatch will bring us. But I already know I'll buying a few of these for myself and family. It will be an incredible innovative product to accompany our existing Apple devices - Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV.

I cannot wait to get my hands on one of them.
dumastudetto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:50 AM   #6
maplingstorie
macrumors regular

image retention on time = freeze time!!!
maplingstorie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:56 AM   #7
peace4al
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplingstorie View Post
image retention on time = freeze time!!! :d

Click image for larger version

Name:	hiro_nakamura.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	468584
peace4al is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:57 AM   #8
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

I guess this ends the talk of a model costing several thousand dollars?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:57 AM   #9
goobot
macrumors 68040

Would there really be a point to having 2 models that are only .2 inches different size? Just wondering.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:59 AM   #10
Serban
macrumors 68020

it looks nice
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:03 AM   #11
breadfaN88
macrumors newbie

It diesn't make sense to me that a sapphire display glass - with a hardness of 9 just behind diamond - is paired with a flexible display. Can anybody explain that?
breadfaN88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:03 AM   #12
attila
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Would there really be a point to having 2 models that are only .2 inches different size? Just wondering.
That's what she said!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:09 AM   #13
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadfaN88 View Post
It diesn't make sense to me that a sapphire display glass - with a hardness of 9 just behind diamond - is paired with a flexible display. Can anybody explain that?
To bend the display so it can be pressed against the inside of the curved glass protecting the display? The screen wouldn't bend as an after-market product.

Maybe by bending the screen, it would wrap around your wrist better while keeping the shell thin enough? Same reason they may be researching flexible batteries.

And maybe it might reduce the chances of the screen itself breaking if the glass shatters? It's going to be more succeptible to outdoor conditions as a wearable, after all.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:16 AM   #14
happydude
macrumors 6502a

surprised if it is coming out this year we haven't even seen any "leaked" pics, only mockups. apple's security must be off the charts on this one.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:34 AM   #15
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Im still having problems picturing this as anything else than a mediocre idea product and a failure in the world of apple products. It will be interesting to see.....kinda like how google glass will only appeal to very few people.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:36 AM   #16
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
surprised if it is coming out this year we haven't even seen any "leaked" pics, only mockups. apple's security must be off the charts on this one.
So many conflicting stories on that rumored iWatch. Because it's virtually impossible for Apple to completely prevent leaks, and in the total absence of any such leaks in the form of parts or pictures, my guess is, it may just not be ready yet for release until very late in the year, or possibly next year.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:49 AM   #17
SHNXX
macrumors 6502

Will this be a watch (like the Samsung Gear) or a bracelet (like the Fitbit)?
SHNXX is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:54 AM   #18
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNXX View Post

Will this be a watch (like the Samsung Gear) or a bracelet (like the Fitbit)?
I would be happy with either of those choices.

However... this mockup looks like a rigid bangle bracelet that will spin completely around your wrist.

I hope it's not that...
Michael Scrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:57 AM   #19
SHNXX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

However... this mockup looks like a rigid bangle bracelet that will spin completely around your wrist.

I hope it's not that...
rigid wouldn't work since it needs to accommodate large variation in wrist sizes (women to men, which can range from 4-8")

But the bracelet design would be a better choice for many who enjoy wearing non-smart watches.
Apple watch or any other smart watch cannot replace luxury watches segment.
An apple watch is a disposable electronic device while a Rolex, Patek Philippe or Audemars Piguet are timeless accessories.
SHNXX is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:00 AM   #20
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
All this iwatch talk is really telling. This is going to happen.
So you work for Apple and know what future products Apple will be releasing? Wonder which NDA you broke to say this.

/sarcasm

Seriously no one Apart from Apple themselves know what future products Apple will release. We can only guess based on the rumours. If any non Apple employee claims they know then they are lying or mixing up rumour with fact.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:03 AM   #21
SHNXX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
So you work for Apple and know what future products Apple will be releasing? Wonder which NDA you broke to say this.

/sarcasm

Seriously no one Apart from Apple themselves know what future products Apple will release. We can only guess based on the rumours. If any non Apple employee claims they know then they are lying or mixing up rumour with fact.
haha relax. this is a mac RUMORS website.
SHNXX is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:12 AM   #22
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I hope it's not that...
Ditto, it needs to have some sort of shape to it.

I couldn't resist and grabbed a fitbit over the weekend, its shape is fairly comfy, even to sleep in. However I can't see the iWatch being as lightweight as the fitbit. Interesting times ahead.
fullauto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:33 AM   #23
jordanm86
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace4al View Post
Image retention/uneven colors ?
My first thought was exactly that!

LG either produce amazing displays, or p*ss poor ones... never just "ok" displays.

In my old job (about 4/5 years ago) each designer would have two LG monitors that were fantastic (though they were £600 each and only 21").

Now, out of three iMacs I received, only one had a display I was happy with (LG panels from what I've heard) :-/
jordanm86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:39 AM   #24
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. LG can make flexible screens but don't seen to have any good ideas about what to do with them.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:44 AM   #25
doqo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
All this iwatch talk is really telling. This is going to happen. We all would insist to be notified at WWDC but it certainly won't be surprised on us till toward the holiday season.

I for one welcome out new furtistic handcuffs.

What a crazy time we live in.
It's definitely going to happen, Siri told me so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	468588  
doqo is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion