Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
So Im getting the 20" Cinema Display to have an extra monitor for my macbook and I just realized that I can't use the wireless mouse or keyboard for it since that display doesn't have bluetooth..... Does anybody know if I plug in a USB Bluetooth Receiver to the Cinema Display will the magic mouse and keyboard work with display? If it will.... does anybody know of a good receiver that I can purchase? Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
What exact MacBook do you have? I just ask, as all MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs include Bluetooth. Or does that Bluetooth module no longer work?

As I presume, the MacBook you talk about is one of the Retina 13" models, if Bluetooth is not working anymore, go to Apple and let it check.

Anyway, you can find Bluetooth settings in System Preferences.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Wouldnt the bluetooth need to connect to the macbook? not the monitor? Dont have any experience with cinema displays, but I think the IO needs to be connected to the PC itself

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I have the macbook retina and it does work, I will be connecting my macbook to the cinema display to have a bigger screen to work on school stuff. I need a keyboard and mouse to work on the display but don't want the wired keyboard or mouse.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I have the macbook retina and it does work, I will be connecting my macbook to the cinema display to have a bigger screen to work on school stuff. I need a keyboard and mouse to work on the display but don't want the wired keyboard or mouse.

Well what you do is set up the bluetooth keyboard and mouse to the rMBP. Then the bluetoothe keyboard and mouse will control both.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Well what you do is set up the bluetooth keyboard and mouse to the rMBP. Then the bluetoothe keyboard and mouse will control both.

That makes sense since I am trying to control the macbook and not the monitor (since its just an additional display). I'll give it a shot when I hook everything up later this week and see if that works. Thanks

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
will your mac still be powered on when you use the monitor?
will the mac be creating the image on the monitor?

The monitor it just a display, all the "smarts" are still in the mac, and because of that, the mouse and keyboard will be connected to the mac, since that is what you're controlling.

and you'll probably want to use the display as a second monitor anyway, so you can use both the laptop display and the monitor. you can set them up in extended desktop mode, which will allow you to have different stuff on both monitors.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5019

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
will your mac still be powered on when you use the monitor?
will the mac be creating the image on the monitor?

The monitor it just a display, all the "smarts" are still in the mac, and because of that, the mouse and keyboard will be connected to the mac, since that is what you're controlling.

and you'll probably want to use the display as a second monitor anyway, so you can use both the laptop display and the monitor. you can set them up in extended desktop mode, which will allow you to have different stuff on both monitors.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5019

Yeah it'll still be powered and it will be creating the image on the monitor. and thanks for the info!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.