Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Launches 'Office 365 Personal' Plan for One Mac and One iPad at $69/Year

Microsoft today started selling its Office 365 Personal subscription, a less expensive version of Office 365 that targets individual users. The cloud-based subscription service provides access to online versions of Microsoft's Office productivity suite, online storage in OneDrive and a block of Skype calling minutes.

The new personal option allows subscribers to connect one PC or Mac desktop computer and one tablet, including the iPad, to the online service. It will cost $69 per year or $6.99 per month. Customers who require more connections can sign up for the Office 365 Home plan, which is geared towards families with support for up to five desktops and five tablets.

The new Office 365 Personal plan is available for purchase at Office365.com. It also is available at Microsoft Stores and through Microsoft's online and retail partners. Microsoft also offers Office 365 business plans, which are priced by the number of users and are designed for real-time, online collaboration using the Office 365 suite.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches 'Office 365 Personal' Plan for One Mac and One iPad at $69/Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:42 AM   #2
thasan
macrumors 6502a

really? 69? and they plan to compete it with other apps?
thasan is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:42 AM   #3
kwokaaron
macrumors regular

Still waiting for the new Office for Mac...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 AM   #4
JAT
In Time-Out

Paid less than that for 365 Home for 5 people.
JAT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Populus
macrumors member

Ok Microsoft. Now give me the chance of purchasing a lifetime license, like in past years...

Because i'd rather pay 99-199 bucks one time, than 69 bucks every mf year.
Populus is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:45 AM   #6
flur
macrumors newbie

And how many weeks until we see the "one tablet only" option for $49 or so?
flur is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwokaaron View Post
Still waiting for the new Office for Mac...
Yup, tumbleweeds on that...
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:46 AM   #8
dec.
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if that's an intervention because of the massive negative feedback their apps got in the app store due to the subscription pricing
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:47 AM   #9
surfingarbo
macrumors newbie

Remember kids, the $69 plan includes Satya Nadella coming to your house only at Thanksgiving to help with the cooking. Whereas the $99 includes him coming at both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Typical Microsoft with lots of different prices and versions to confuse customers.

I really wish they'd offer a simple one subscription to rule them all at a fair price.
Kilamite is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 AM   #11
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Still not happening!

I get a kick out of seeing the icons on my screen, knowing that I'm not locked into any rental service! If nothing else, it is a way to double-check correct document formatting before sending off a document created in iWork.

This is a worse deal than before. For $30/year more, one could use the service on multiple devices for a whole family. Now, it really is just for one person, and for almost the same price.

Not budging!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Paid less than that for 365 Home for 5 people.
How?
HMI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 AM   #12
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Office 365 = 69/year (best case)
Google Docs = free/year
Apple iWorks = free/year

Do they all do the same? No not 100%.

For home, personal, school stuff do they all provide enough functionality to get it done? Yes, absolutely.

For work, if you do pivot tables and VB scripting in Excel will Google or Apple work for you? No way, but you represent only 1% of the user base.

Doing all the calculations, I am very happy with iWorks at home and at work, except for around budget time, I wish I had iWorks.

FREE baby; FREEEEEEE!

Last edited by Cuban Missles; Apr 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM.
Cuban Missles is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Already to many options...either one time payment or free of charge at all. That's what people actually want.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:53 AM   #14
DaveBreen
macrumors newbie

Seems fair

I think $49 would have been better..but $69 seems reasonable for most folks. Given that office used to cost 2-300 bucks a few years ago...this works out to about the same (at least for me).
DaveBreen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:58 AM   #15
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI View Post
How?
You can score O365 licenses at a decent discount on Amazon, or via an educational purchase.

Iím assuming weíll see the personal product discounted as well through the same channels, so maybe in the $45-49 range.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
FREE baby; FREEEEEEE!
Funny, I just had to revise some _ancient_ Visio diagrams, didnít want to redo them from scratch and I no longer had an active license.

Downloaded Libre Office, near perfect import, made my changes, exported to HTML and PDF. Done.

... and FREE
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:59 AM   #16
Espeonia
macrumors member

If you were to buy every version of Office as a one-time purchase (disregarding the student edition since you won't always be able to do that), it would run $220+ dollars every ~3 years, whereas a continual subscription to Office 365 will be ~$210 every 3 years, plus (presumably) updates.

It does have its benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
Already to many options...either one time payment or free of charge at all. That's what people actually want.
It's harder to survive as a company that way. If people one-time purchase, then they might not be a customer again in the future. If it's free, you get no revenue. If it's a subscription, you get money continually.

EDIT: forgot something else; you get 20GB of OneDrive storage and 60 minutes of global Skype calls per month with a subscription. At $7/Month or $70/year, that's even better - comparatively, you'd pay $40 for 20gb on iCloud, and (I think?) $3/month for the skype minutes. That means you're really only paying ~$27/month for the office part. However, I don't know if everyone actually uses the cloud storage/skype minutes for it to be justifiable.
2011 13-inch MBA

Last edited by Espeonia; Apr 15, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Espeonia is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:01 PM   #17
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
You can score O365 licenses at a decent discount on Amazon, or via an educational purchase.

Iím assuming weíll see the personal product discounted as well through the same channels, so maybe in the $45-49 range.

----------

Funny, I just had to revise some _ancient_ Visio diagrams, didnít want to redo them from scratch and I no longer had an active license.

Downloaded Libre Office, near perfect import, made my changes, exported to HTML and PDF. Done.

... and FREE
Exactly. Not aure why I would pay for MS office on a Mac when I can use Libre Office for free.
KdParker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:03 PM   #18
Storto
macrumors newbie

Aristotle, Plato, Microsoft......Morons!

When is Microsoft going to get with the program? Per person registration is far superior and more welcomed then per machine. This will tank. Just my two cents.
Storto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:03 PM   #19
macaddict06
macrumors regular

No one likes this, and M$ doesn't really seem to care.

They did an AMA on Reddit last week and they got roasted.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...d_team_ask_us/
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:04 PM   #20
applesith
macrumors 68000

$7/mo with no commitment is pretty good.
applesith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:05 PM   #21
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Having to use OneDrive for files on the iPad is a deal killer. Yet another data silo
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:05 PM   #22
shandyman
macrumors 601

Microsoft Launches 'Office 365 Personal' Plan for One Mac and One iPad at $69...

I pay £8.95 as a one off fee for Office professional, every 2-3 years (depending on when MS release it) and my dad pays £90 for MS home for the same period. Office 365 is useless for us and the huge market of people in the same boat. MS needs to come up with a realistic option for our market for iOS. Until then, they're missing out on probably the bulk of their customers.

We already get free space on onedrive, 20Gb is massively excessive for the average joe. Skype minutes are also something that a lot of people (not all, I know) even care about.

Last edited by shandyman; Apr 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
shandyman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:08 PM   #23
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

I'm firmly in the pay once group.

This subscription stuff offers nothing to me and everything to M$.

No thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:08 PM   #24
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
I wonder if that's an intervention because of the massive negative feedback their apps got in the app store due to the subscription pricing
No, this plan was announced before iPad version was released.

Anyway, a lot of the comments are from ignorant users who didn't do their research before downloading, or want everything for free, or at 99cents.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:09 PM   #25
iSee
macrumors 68030

Hm... well, that's better than $99 (for individuals).

But it's still massively expensive.
It's too bad because I've heard the iPad apps are great.

But even at $69/year this is a substantial price hike for Office, at least by the way I buy it (Since 2003 I bought two versions for ~$250 total. In that same span of time I would have spent $759 at $69/year, or about $500 more...)

I guess it makes sense if you know you're always going to need the latest version of Office anyway and you assume Microsoft will make frequent useful updates.

But I have to wonder: once a substantial number of people get locked in to a subscription model, doesn't MS's incentive to come out with useful new features go down? They'll no longer have to convince you to buy a new version based on how great it is. (You'll have paird for it already anyway.) They just have to keep from sucking so much that you finally decide to endure the distruption of switching to something else.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion