Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I bought a MBPr with a 256 GB SSD. Here's my plan regarding storage.

A 64GB SanDisk Cruzer fit for all my "junk" files i.e. inspirational pictures, HD wallpapers, selfies, etc.

A 128GB Micro SD card from SanDisk with a Nifty adapter for permanent storage. I will keep all work and school related files here like PDF documents, Word Documents, etc.

And lastly, my 256GB SSD for some Apps like weather, maybe 1 or 2 games like Call of Duty, etc.

I stream all my movies and music from the cloud so those will not take up any space.

Total storage space: 448GB

What are your thoughts about this setup?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
USB sticks are not noted for durability if you use them like a scratch disk (write/trash often). If you are just storing reference material there, i.e. write once read often, it should be OK.

I tried a 64GB Micro SD card from SanDisk with a mini drive adapter (same concept as the nifty) for scratch type files and have lost faith over the last year. Every once it awhile it just corrupts all the files, or goes into a read only mode. The only way to kick it out of that mode is to remove the card and reinsert, which is a pain with those flush fit micro adapters. So, if you chose to use a micro SD, make sure you have a robust backup plan for anything you store there.

Since I started using the internal SSD drive for anything similar to a scratch disk for dynamic files that I often write and read and just use the augmented storage for more static stuff I don't write often, there has been much less drama.

The regular sized SD cards seem to be much more robust than the micro SD cards, especially when you add an adapter to the micro. Of course they also sick out.

I don't think any of the SD or USB stick options substitute satisfactorily for a SSD in a portable USB3 enclosure in terms of read/write performance or durability ... but thats not as portable.

Based on this experience, when I recently upgraded I bought the max internal storage available, so I don't have to deal with storage augmentation. So I'd recommend storing stuff on the SD card and USB stick that rarely changes, and keep the most dynamic files internal.

kristenp

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Wouldn't it be a better idea to have the work and school related stuff on the cloud compared to the movies and music?

I mean, okay, it would be nice to stream movies and music where ever you go but wouldn't the cloud be a "safer" place for important documents because they're not as easily lost (sd card failing, lost, stolen, etc)?

or whatever. you could do both anyway :D

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
A 128GB Micro SD card from SanDisk with a Nifty adapter for permanent storage. I will keep all work and school related files here like PDF documents, Word Documents, etc.

You can get a PNY Storedege drive for cheaper than the SanDisk/Nifty combo.
It will stick out a little (a few millimeters on the 15" rMBP and about 1/2" on the 13") but if money's important it's a considerable savings.

syobwoc

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
South Texas
You can get a PNY Storedege drive for cheaper than the SanDisk/Nifty combo.
It will stick out a little (a few millimeters on the 15" rMBP and about 1/2" on the 13") but if money's important it's a considerable savings.

I agree with Gjwilly, I've got a 128GB Storedge and it works great. Sticks out a bit but thats ok with me. I have my dropbox synced as well as a couple VMs for quick access. VM use surprising fast with my Late 2013 rmbp. I recommend it. Looks like amazon has it on sale, i picked it up for about $20 more than the current price and that was good deal at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.