Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:22 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 Build 13D43 to Developers

Apple today seeded build 13D43 of OS X 10.9.3 to developers, just under a week after releasing the sixth OS X beta, build 13D38, and a little over a month after the first 10.9.3 beta.

The beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store as well as through the Mac Dev Center.

Apple continues to ask developers to focus on Graphics Drivers, Audio, Mail, Contacts and Calendar sync over USB in iTunes, and Safari. As was discovered with the first beta, 10.9.3 adds new support for 4K displays, offering "Retina" resolutions that improve readability along with support for 60Hz output from the Retina MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 Build 13D43 to Developers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:24 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
460 mb on 2011 mbp
ZacNicholson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:54 PM   #3
kwokaaron
macrumors regular

Is the Appleseed Feedback Assistant still there?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
460 mb on 2011 mbp
Why is this important?

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:00 PM   #5
theBostonian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Why is this important?
This might answer your question:

theBostonian is online now   33 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:03 PM   #6
SarcasticJoe
macrumors 6502

Any news on the miniDisplayPort HDMI output bug? Been holding off getting a new machine and selling the old one in case the next owner can complains about the miniDisplayPort being broken.

Apparently it's some GPU driver Kernel extensions being broken and I tried fixing it myself, but that just broke OSX and it wouldn't boot after it (so I won't try it again).
SarcasticJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:08 PM   #7
HowieIsaacks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Why is this important?
It's not important. Obviously, different Macs will require a somewhat different download. It's what is specifically being downloaded that matters.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticJoe View Post
Any news on the miniDisplayPort HDMI output bug? Been holding off getting a new machine and selling the old one in case the next owner can complains about the miniDisplayPort being broken.

Apparently it's some GPU driver Kernel extensions being broken and I tried fixing it myself, but that just broke OSX and it wouldn't boot after it (so I won't try it again).
I've never heard of this, and I have supported several Macs running Mavericks with a mini display port with HDMI output.
HowieIsaacks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
460 mb on 2011 mbp
460 here as well..

The feedback assistant has implanted itself into Launchpad and Utilities folder under Applications in Finder fwiw. Not sure what's up with that.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:40 PM   #9
chekz0414
macrumors 6502

I had a slow-ish boot with the last build on a 2011 MBP...Does anyone know if this build fixes that slowness?
chekz0414 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:45 PM   #10
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
460 here as well..

The feedback assistant has implanted itself into Launchpad and Utilities folder under Applications in Finder fwiw. Not sure what's up with that.
Feedback assistant is only for appleseed.

Developers can use http://bugreport.apple.com/ to file bug reports instead.
tywebb13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywebb13 View Post

I understand. So why am I getting it?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:06 PM   #12
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:

The problem is that starting in the last seed, the app was launched for the first time for many folks not involved in AppleSeed. It rarely ever shows up for developers, question is why is it showing up now?
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:18 PM   #13
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Is anyone else seeing mach_kernel at the root of the disk showing up after installing 13D43?
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
I understand. So why am I getting it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
The problem is that starting in the last seed, the app was launched for the first time for many folks not involved in AppleSeed. It rarely ever shows up for developers, question is why is it showing up now?
The Feedback app no longer starts up after installing the update but it still resides in the System/Library/CoreServices folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Is anyone else seeing mach_kernel at the root of the disk showing up after installing 13D43?

Yes. I see it at the root also.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:30 PM   #15
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a

We can run this in terminal to make mach_kernel invisible again:

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel

I sent a bug report for this to apple too.

Last edited by tywebb13; Apr 15, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
tywebb13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:37 PM   #16
SCOLANATOR
macrumors 6502

7 beta iterations of a .x update? Isn't that a little excessive? I mean how many did vanilla Mavericks have before going live? Mavericks runs great for me but I've sort of been half waiting for this update for some time now - we're nearly at 10.10!

Also great monkey picture.
SCOLANATOR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:44 PM   #17
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOLANATOR View Post
7 beta iterations of a .x update?
10.9.2 had 7 or 8. This isn't unusual.
chrfr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:01 PM   #18
WallToWallMacs
macrumors regular

With all this testing, is this the last update before the next release? It appears that they're really giving Mavericks a good once over at the panel beaters and workshop before they move onto 10.10 (rumoured to be 'Napa').
WallToWallMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:01 PM   #19
skysurfer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekz0414 View Post
I had a slow-ish boot with the last build on a 2011 MBP...Does anyone know if this build fixes that slowness?
I also had this on build 13D38

This new build 13D43 on my late 2011 MBP 17" has a better boot up and shut down time

SSD on both builds
skysurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:26 AM   #20
thomaskc
macrumors 6502

I wish apple would release a lot tighter and more precise change log's. For nearly 1 year they have claimed to, for instance, be working on graphic drivers, yet there has been little to no change in the base branch of the drivers, and barely any change in version numbers either. Performance wise absolutely 0 has changed, and OSX is still under performing like no tomorrow to the point where I am running windows fulltime on my macbook pro (love the macbook as machine) but OSX is simply just not worth it from a production point. Since I can get the same and more on Windows, and everything runs at least 40-50% faster. it's a no-brain'er. Anyway, IF they gave a bit more specific info, maybe at least we could see the direction they are going, test it along the way and give more valid feedback. But in general, they badly need to update the graphic drivers A LOT faster if they want to be taken serious.

(btw. I work in the 3D, video and commercial industry).
thomaskc is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:32 AM   #21
dempson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallToWallMacs View Post
With all this testing, is this the last update before the next release? It appears that they're really giving Mavericks a good once over at the panel beaters and workshop before they move onto 10.10 (rumoured to be 'Napa').
Based purely on the timeline, I doubt 10.9.3 will the last minor update for Mavericks.

WWDC keynote is June 2, at which Apple should announce 10.10. Assuming the release schedule is similar to last year, 10.10 should be available to the public about October.

Assuming a late April release for 10.9.3 and a roughly three month gap between later minor updates, there is plenty of time for a 10.9.4 around July and a 10.9.5 around October.

If 10.10 is released in July to September, there would still be time for a 10.9.4 update, and there could be a 10.9.5 after the release of 10.10 (similar to the timing of 10.4.11 and 10.7.5).
dempson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:39 AM   #22
admmasters
macrumors newbie

While I agree that the performance could definitely be better using Windows for anything other than games is just something I couldn't stomach. There is so much fundamentally wrong with the actual OS. The only thing it does have going for it is performance but personally I don't think OSX performs that badly - maybe it is different in the video industry, although most people who work in design tend to use Macs AFAIK.
admmasters is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 AM   #23
macwanabe
macrumors newbie

The graphics performance in 10.9.3 is just horrible compared to 10.8.1. Apple changed the way the Nvidia driver works in a fundamental way. Performance dropped over 50% in Cinebench 15 Open GL test. It now runs at 30% of the Windows score. I now get 33 fps in OSX and 108 fps in Windows. Even the ATI driver is slower but not as bad. I use 3D applications and I can assure you I can see a difference all aps using Open Gl is slower even effects when used in After Effects. CUDA is same speed but all OpenGL apps suffers.

Last edited by macwanabe; Apr 16, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
macwanabe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 01:19 AM   #24
thomaskc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by admmasters View Post
While I agree that the performance could definitely be better using Windows for anything other than games is just something I couldn't stomach. There is so much fundamentally wrong with the actual OS. The only thing it does have going for it is performance but personally I don't think OSX performs that badly - maybe it is different in the video industry, although most people who work in design tend to use Macs AFAIK.
Most people working in design uses OSX true, but it's an old trend more than a logic choice, its because they always have, so they never really put the difference up side by side. But any program you pick from Autodesk, Adobe or any other big company, they all run a lot faster (viewports etc) under Windows, because of DirectX (and DX11 these days), and because Nvidia can push updates instantly if they need to support or fix something, The fact that OSX is constantly running with 6-12 month old Nvidia drivers just hurts my soul. It shouldn't be such a low priority from apple knowing that a lot of people in photo and video jobs like to use OSX. Another potential problem could just be that OSX is stuck with openGL, which on paper should be just as good as directX, how ever I have a feeling the application support is way way worse from autodesk etc's side. Anyway the different is massive. Oh and I don't want this to turn into a win/apple war, not the point, personally I wish I could get the look and feel of OSX while having it perform as win8.1. But efficiency wins over looks when all comes to all.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwanabe View Post
The graphics performance in 10.8.3 is just horrible compared to 10.8.1. Apple changed the way the Nvidia driver works in a fundamental way. Performance dropped over 50% in Cinebench 15 Open GL test. It now runs at 30% of the Windows score. I now get 33 fps in OSX and 108 fps in Windows. Even the ATI driver is slower but not as bad. I use 3D applications and I can assure you I can see a difference all aps using Open Gl is slower even effects when used in After Effects. CUDA is same speed but all OpenGL apps suffers.
Exactly!
thomaskc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:23 AM   #25
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwanabe View Post
The graphics performance in 10.8.3 is just horrible compared to 10.8.1. Apple changed the way the Nvidia driver works in a fundamental way. Performance dropped over 50% in Cinebench 15 Open GL test. It now runs at 30% of the Windows score. I now get 33 fps in OSX and 108 fps in Windows. Even the ATI driver is slower but not as bad. I use 3D applications and I can assure you I can see a difference all aps using Open Gl is slower even effects when used in After Effects. CUDA is same speed but all OpenGL apps suffers.
I guess you mean 10.9.3 compared to 10.9.1, or?
star-affinity is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion