Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Rchawks
macrumors member

Vegetarian weight lifters

Is anyone here familiar with forums concerning vegan dairy free protein sources for lifting weights without gaining excess mass. Everything I've found on the subject is gear toward selling product as oppose to links. Thanks.

Last edited by Rchawks; Apr 15, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
Rchawks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:17 AM   #2
TheMadNun
macrumors newbie

Brown rice, pea or hemp protein are all good options for vegans.
TheMadNun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:59 AM   #3
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchawks View Post
Is anyone here familiar with forums concerning vegan dairy free protein sources for lifting weights without gaining excess mass. Everything I've found on the subject is gear toward selling product as oppose to links. Thanks.
How about quinoa; not sure about calories or gaining mass, but quinoa is a complete protein.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/diana-h...b_3363619.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=142
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Rchawks
macrumors member

Right now we use whey, pea protein, but we're fazing out the whey because it's a source of dairy. We also use quinoa which will continue to be in our diet. Our food intake is switching from flextarian to a more vegan source. Dairy being excluded. My workouts are becoming more intense and I'm nearing my limit of min. weight for my height which concerns me some. Hemp would be excellent, but I worry about a false positive on a drug test with that one at work so I avoid it like the plague. I would like to remain lean without gaining bulk, currently My weight is 137 lbs. but anyone who knows me guesses 165.

Last edited by Rchawks; Apr 16, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:36 PM   #5
rhp2424
macrumors member

Have you tried this article: Sculptured by Weights and a Strict Vegan Diet or this site/forum: Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness?

As a vegan, I've researched some protein needs from that last site. Hope these help!
rhp2424 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Rchawks
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhp2424 View Post
Have you tried this article: Sculptured by Weights and a Strict Vegan Diet or this site/forum: Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness?

As a vegan, I've researched some protein needs from that last site. Hope these help!
The first link I stumbled upon yesterday. Now the second link I have not seen and is exactly what I was hoping to find. Thank you very much!!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:38 PM   #7
MacNut
macrumors P6

Unless you are lifting a box of veggies they seem lighter than lifting actual weights.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchawks View Post
You're going to want to get your basics down.

Gaining mass is only going to happen if you eat more calories than you can burn. Doesn't matter if you eat cheeseburgers or Bananas. If you're in a caloric surplus you will gain weight.

For vegan protein:
Spinach
Kale
Peas
Nut Butter (peanut, cashew, almond, etc etc)
Hemp
Beans
Lentils
Tofu
Kashi bars
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 12:14 PM   #9
phrehdd
macrumors 65816

It isn't too hard to discern between non-essential and essential amino acids along with the notion of "complete protein."

There are plenty of information on the Internet categorizing various food sources and which of the above they fall in. As well, there are notions of how to maximize the ability to get the most out of the food sources (how much, with what other foods etc. to ingest at a given time).

Some things you might want to consider -

Types of soy products and their positive and negative impact and select what may remain a product that is positive.

Check out the movie - Forks over Knives

Reconsider complete absence of animal product for minimal animal product (not for a food source but more about keeping your body adaptable to food sources as this relates to allergy response).

Discover the impact of pH balance, negative impact of whole-milk products on bones etc.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events