Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a brief maintenance period worldwide, Apple's Online Stores in the Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Poland, and the Czech Republic are now selling the 8 GB iPhone 5c. The device was spotted in these online stores by 9to5Mac.

8gb_iphone5c_6countries.png
The 8 GB version of the phone was launched last month in a few of Apple's Online Stores alongside the relaunched 16 GB iPad 4. Apple revealed in a statement to Re/code that its strategy with the 8 GB iPhone 5c is to offer a low-cost option that is compatible with the growing number of developing LTE networks in certain countries. The report also noted that Apple prefers not to sell the lower-cost model in the United States because of the popularity of subsidized phones.

The 8GB iPhone 5c is available now through select Apple Online Stores as well as through various Apple Retail locations.

Update 2:31 AM: As spotted by MacRumors readers, the 8 GB iPhone 5c is also now available through Apple's Online Stores in Ireland, Portugal, Austria, Spain, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Hungary, and Luxembourg.

Article Link: Apple Launches 8 GB iPhone 5c in 16 New European Countries [Updated]

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
What a failure. Still expensive with only 8 gigs. Why not just chop the price of the current 16 gig model instead of being so greedy?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Nothing says: "I have last year's phone" more than the 5c. At least in past years you could buy the actual previous model of phone. It would be the same phone that people in off-contract years still had. This phone feels like one was fooled into buying an old phone in a new plastic case. And 8GB? I guess if you are mostly just going to text and make phone calls...

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
€499 for an 8GB plastic phone?

Seriously Apple. Why would anyone buy this over a 5s. Needs to be €399 to be even worth a thought.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
What a failure. Still expensive with only 8 gigs. Why not just chop the price of the current 16 gig model instead of being so greedy?

its hilarious cuz they introduced the 8GB one for 499€ here in Germany while every big store chain is selling the 16GB one for 489€. I guess its not selling too well in stores and they have to get them out somehow

such a pointless introduction of a 8GB device in 2014 when you can get the 16GB model for less already. Apple could have just adjusted the price of what they r already offering but of course they dont

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal

So expensive and useless.
8gb... Apple could put 64gb as minimum and still get more than 30% margin.

Instead of useless dividends for greedy shareholders that do not care about the company at all, why not doing something about this, Tim? Tim had the nerve to state that Apple was earning more than they could use...

Here is a good use. It's all about making the best product possible, right? So do it.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Hmm, at least in Sweden, the price cut when going to 8 GB from 16 GB is only half of that when going from 32 GB to 16 GB. It's a bit unfortunate because the 8 GB model would really have needed the full price cut. 8 GB is becoming really limited in storage.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Hmm, at least in Sweden, the price cut when going to 8 GB from 16 GB is only half of that when going from 32 GB to 16 GB. It's a bit unfortunate because the 8 GB model would really have needed the full price cut. 8 GB is becoming really limited in storage.

omg i just checked the online store and its actually 549€ for the 8GB one in Germany ... thats even more hilarious. 16GB one for 60€ LESS than the 8GB one and even 100€ less than the 16GB one at any store but Apple

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I think apple has been infiltrated by microsoft. Espionage runs rife throughout the company. Look at this screen shot of safari private mode on iPad. Its windows colours. No style, no substance. Its just wrong in so many ways.

I guess one thing we can be sure of. Steve Jobs was the man with taste who kept the company inline.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    119.3 KB · Views: 227

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Bean counters. 8GB and the asking price is laughable. :mad:
The 5c is an excellent plastic phone, but the price was simply too high. Instead of just lowering the price, Apple being Apple introduces even more limited version & still priced too high.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the updates from your countries, everyone. I've updated the article with all of the current ones so far - if anyone sees anything more, just post it here and I (or others) will take care of it. :)

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Bean counters. 8GB and the asking price is laughable. :mad:
The 5c is an excellent plastic phone, but the price was simply too high. Instead of just lowering the price, Apple being Apple introduces even more limited version & still priced too high.

I have to agree, that the pricing is strange, still leaving the 5C very close to 5S. If it's not selling as predicted, it would IMHO make more sense to sell it with a much lower margin, as Apple is still going to get a large cut from all the content sold through the devices.

Thanks for the updates from your countries, everyone. I've updated the article with all of the current ones so far - if anyone sees anything more, just post it here and I (or others) will take care of it. :)

Here's one more, from the Finnish Apple Store:http://store.apple.com/fi/buy-iphone/iphone5c/

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I have to agree, that the pricing is strange, still leaving the 5C very close to 5S. If it's not selling as predicted, it would IMHO make more sense to sell it with a much lower margin, as Apple is still going to get a large cut from all the content sold through the devices.

And people will want to get the more expensive one next or time after that.

The pricing structure and aim of the 5C seems to be VERY short sighted.

-RJ-

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Norway

Denmark and Switzerland too..

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
During the time of the 5C rumors, I was really hoping that it was going to be 8 GB, free on contract

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
The 50 bucks price difference makes sense

The 50 bucks price difference makes sense, and here is why:

Now the consumer thinking is 'the 16GB model gives me 8GB of extra space for only 50 bucks extra'.

Exactly the way you want it as a seller.

Introducing the 8GB model for that price makes the 16GB model seem more valuable and that makes perfect sense.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
The point is not for any one to purchase the 8 Gb phone, but rather that folks purchase any thing else apple in view of what a bad deal the 8Gb phone is currently.

rahhb.riley

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
a State
Nothing says: "I have last year's phone" more than the 5c. At least in past years you could buy the actual previous model of phone. It would be the same phone that people in off-contract years still had. This phone feels like one was fooled into buying an old phone in a new plastic case. And 8GB? I guess if you are mostly just going to text and make phone calls...

I don't give a ***** if you or anyone thinks I'm carrying last years model. I don't carry an iPhone based on what others think. I carry because iPhone, iOS, the ecosystem, and the company are top notch, second to none, and fulfill what I want in tech and follow a philosophy of far beyond just making technology. My personal choice of a 5c is because I like it. I don't feel like I need to justify the reasons I chose it over 5s either. My choice, I'm happy.

paysdoufs

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Swiss customers beware: Some online IT vendor (You'll have to google which one) is about to sell the iPhone 4s 8 Go for 299 CHF. Seems like a way better deal if you really want to go "low" cost...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.