Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
This thread is both my attempt to seem cool :)cool:) and to prove California wrong. Basically, if you have an iBook G4 still with a working 30 GB OEM drive, post here! When I got this computer, I promised myself that I wouldn't even try to replace the drive unless my old one failed. Now, this computer's almost 10 years old and running a customized LXDE version of Debian (I have a policy of only running supported OSs on my computers). It doesn't have a name, but its hostname is "vanillaicebook". Plus, I don't know if it's the optical drive or the hard drive, but something on that computer sounds REALLY cool when it's turned on (WHOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW CHINK-A-DINK DIIIIIIINNNK DINKK) that I haven't heard on any other computer. In fact, while the screen's a bit cloudy, and the spacebar's still a bit odd, the hard drive is working perfectly.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
That noise is your diskdrive. Every iBook and PowerBook I've ever used makes that noise, being a slot loading drive, and it checks for disks every time you open it.
I have an iBook G4 with an original 40 GB drive, and another 40 GB drive that I pulled out of a different G4, and both still work!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That noise is your diskdrive. Every iBook and PowerBook I've ever used makes that noise, being a slot loading drive, and it checks for disks every time you open it.
I have an iBook G4 with an original 40 GB drive, and another 40 GB drive that I pulled out of a different G4, and both still work!
Mine just says "Give me more money" whenever I boot. :(

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
My white iBook G4 with its 30GB HD still works perfectly, not used much anymore, just occasionally by the wife who accesses a no longer available data-base of flowers that runs on Win XP which is running on MS virtual PC.
Which BTW even under emulation on a G4 the app is quite usable.

This was my very first Apple computer, and I did max out the memory to 1.25GB if my memory serves me.

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
my ibook g3 700 still has the original 30gb drive in there. i even took the original 40gb drive from my g3 800 and stuck it in my tangerine clamshell ibook. (yes i still have the original 3 gb drive too)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
iBook 2003 with original 40GB woot woot.

Although my DVI PowerBook has failed and gone, I still have the 30GB OEM IBM TravelStar HDD. Missing a pin, but works fine. Sidenote: does anyone have a DVI PowerBook for sale? I'm feeling sad that I lost mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.