Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InquisitiveAmI

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Hi everyone,
I just have a pretty urgent question becuase as I speak I am running more and more out of storage space on my 512gb rmbp 13. I really need an external hard drive and these are my needs:
Heavy photoshop files, minor xcode projects and films music etc
But mainly alot alot of audio samples ,projects plugins by the thousands.
Its clear Im gonna need at least and 500gb drive to start but I think 2tb is best
My main questions are for my needs:

1)SSD / HDD -
2)Usb 3/Thunderbolt
3)DIY enclosure(buy drive + enclosure separately) / ready made kit(ie: the full package drive enclosure etc)
4) Recommendation for setup? Or if other peoples Ideas are good enough ?

Many thanks for help! This forums been excellent so far for getting me into macs !

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
If you're just pushing files around rather than working directly from the external, then there's no reason to get anything other than a big ol' USB3 HDD external. In 2GB or 3GB sizes these are often cheaper to buy than the drives they contain.

In single disk applications USB3 is every bit as fast at Thunderbolt, even with SSDs. I believe (others here will know) that Thunderbolt maintains much more consistent throughput than USB3 when used in RAID configurations, though.

InquisitiveAmI

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
If you're just pushing files around rather than working directly from the external, then there's no reason to get anything other than a big ol' USB3 HDD external. In 2GB or 3GB sizes these are often cheaper to buy than the drives they contain.

In single disk applications USB3 is every bit as fast at Thunderbolt, even with SSDs. I believe (others here will know) that Thunderbolt maintains much more consistent throughput than USB3 when used in RAID configurations, though.

No I'll just be pushing files around but id like relatively quick speeds whilst transferring them to my logic pro main board- maybe watch films on it and xcode projects on it but I gather that standard hard drives are easily good for it - just my music production im concerned about
If so could you recommend any 2tb external drives good enough for it? Would 7200 rpm suffice?

Dubberton

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
If money is a thing, wait around a few days and you may see some good deals on a drive. They are rampant.

InquisitiveAmI

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
If money is a thing, wait around a few days and you may see some good deals on a drive. They are rampant.

What do you mean?What am I waiting around for and from where?

Also would it be possible to buy a dual bus powered usb 3 enclosure and put 2 1tb drives in RAID 0 ?
And which enclosure/drives should I use?

jfong425

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
check slick deals. I got a USB3.0 WD 2TB My Passport Slim Portable Hard Drive for $80. it was on sale plus coupon....

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Anyone with any ideas?
Maybe I could use RAID 0 with HDD for better speeds?

What speeds are you looking for?

I wouldn't recommend having any data not backed up or at least in a RAID system with a parity (RAID 5 is a good one). For data protection RAID 0 is even worse than no RAID at all.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I'm running a 13" rMBP with a Western Digital Ultra 2TB.
It's pretty good and not overly expensive. Doesn't require a power source, very small and portable. It's only 5400rpm but running my Aperture library off of it isn't hindered by any waiting times even with RAW and HDR files.

Might consider something more rugged but that's your call.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Really, it does sound as though you'll be fine with USB3 HDDs, even at 5400rpm.

If you want a 2.5" portable enclosure – and you probably do – then your best bangs per buck will be 2TB/5400rpm. There are 2TB/7200rpm drives available, but the premium is greater than the benefit. You also need to be absolutely sure that it's bus-powered.

What are your back-up arrangements? If you've got nothing in place, go for a 2TB external and partition as:
a) 500GB for your overflow storage
b) 500GB for a weekly clone of your internal SSD (SuperDuper, CCC, whatever)
c) 1TB for selective Time Machine back-up of your working files, which should hopefully be good for a couple of months' worth of versioning

Then buy another identical 2TB drive, do exactly the same thing, and rotate weekly, taking the off-duty drive offsite.

How are you archiving your work at present?

Dubberton

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
What do you mean?What am I waiting around for and from where?

somebody mentioned slick deals, 9to5toys will usually have a couple a week at least (ssd deals and usb 3 externals), and maybe tigerdirect and newegg but I think slickdeals watches those. keep and eye on your local microcenter, frys, or whatever local big computer supply place is around you.

InquisitiveAmI

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Really good points made thanks guys

What speeds are you looking for?

I wouldn't recommend having any data not backed up or at least in a RAID system with a parity (RAID 5 is a good one). For data protection RAID 0 is even worse than no RAID at all.

I'm sorta looking for relatively fast transferring files between storage device and mac. For instance loading up samples plug ins tracks on Logic Pro , ableton needs to be quick on the road . But raid maybe overkill...

Really, it does sound as though you'll be fine with USB3 HDDs, even at 5400rpm.

If you want a 2.5" portable enclosure – and you probably do – then your best bangs per buck will be 2TB/5400rpm. There are 2TB/7200rpm drives available, but the premium is greater than the benefit. You also need to be absolutely sure that it's bus-powered.

What are your back-up arrangements? If you've got nothing in place, go for a 2TB external and partition as:
a) 500GB for your overflow storage
b) 500GB for a weekly clone of your internal SSD (SuperDuper, CCC, whatever)
c) 1TB for selective Time Machine back-up of your working files, which should hopefully be good for a couple of months' worth of versioning

Then buy another identical 2TB drive, do exactly the same thing, and rotate weekly, taking the off-duty drive offsite.

How are you archiving your work at present?

To be honest after having the laptop for a week. I'm not really sure ...
But what I want and I think your idea states it all though I have no idea on earth how you do it! Is to store files in my device is toexchange between Mac and device and to have full back ups of my internal hard drive and maybe clones of files outside (audio , plugins) .is that a good idea ?

You want it to be cheap or do you think it will be cheap?

Personally I recommend a Pegasus J4 with SSDs. Works great and is just as fast as an internal drive.

And yes I don't want to spend over 250/200

Thanks for
All help so far!!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My recommendation is that you get ahold of an external (empty) enclosure, then buy a "bare drive" of your choice (either HDD or SSD), and assemble it yourself.

Some enclosures (like the Inatek) don't even use screws. You slip the drive into the connector, snap the cover on, and .... done.

The advantage of "building your own", vis-a-vis buying a pre-assembled drive, is that since you put it together yourself, you know what's inside, and if there's ever a problem (someday there is probably going to be), you know how to open it up again.

Although I prefer "docks" myself, since you may be toting this around with a MacBook, you'll do better to buy an enclosure.
Here's a couple to consider:
http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Inateck-Enclosure-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00FCLG65U
and
http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-Exter...34&sr=8-3&keywords=oyen+digital+2.5+enclosure

For a drive to go inside, check amazon, newegg, and also keep an eye out over at dealmac.com

InquisitiveAmI

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks for help.
2 questions- would raid be overkill for
My drives
And what drives should I put in these enclosure for my needs ??
Maybe WD 2TB 7200 rpm ? That good enough for me or do I need ssd really?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for help.
2 questions- would raid be overkill for
My drives
And what drives should I put in these enclosure for my needs ??
Maybe WD 2TB 7200 rpm ? That good enough for me or do I need ssd really?

It depends entirely on whether you want speed or reliability. RAID0 is faster but means if one of the set of drives dies, you lose all your data. RAID1 means you get to keep your data, and time to get a new hdd to restore the data to.

If you think HDDs are sufficient, then I recommend this enclosure with a couple of Toshiba/HGST HDDs:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/METB7DK0GB/

If you want speed, then this enclosure with a couple of SSDs in RAID or Independent will serve you well:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...1130705&p_id=10943&seq=1&format=2#description

Drop one or two Samsung 840 EVOs in this case, and you're set, but your total investment will increase to about $1200 for 2TB of storage..

InquisitiveAmI

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
It depends entirely on whether you want speed or reliability. RAID0 is faster but means if one of the set of drives dies, you lose all your data. RAID1 means you get to keep your data, and time to get a new hdd to restore the data to.

If you think HDDs are sufficient, then I recommend this enclosure with a couple of Toshiba/HGST HDDs:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/METB7DK0GB/

If you want speed, then this enclosure with a couple of SSDs in RAID or Independent will serve you well:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...1130705&p_id=10943&seq=1&format=2#description

Drop one or two Samsung 840 EVOs in this case, and you're set, but your total investment will increase to about $1200 for 2TB of storage..

Thanks but that's the problem . I don't know what I need for my needs stated in first post. Just to clarify two drives or one it needs to be bus powered .
Would one 2tb drive be enough for me?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I think what I need is someone to tell me what setup I need for my needs stated above

I moved to USB3/TB from eSATA early last year, and we just got our first two TB2-capable Macs a couple of months ago. I've made the decision to move to TB2-capable products in the future, but I needed something to bridge the gap from relying on eSATA and I was looking for the same answer you are now. I found a few small bus-powered TB SSD drives to tote around, and I bought a few of these:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/desktop-hard-drives/drivestation/drivestation-ddr

Great and FAST for smallish files, 3-year warranty, under $200 for 3TB (I bought two at a local Fry's. The DRAM cache makes this unit a different beast for light-to-medium usage. They've been bulletproof since Day 1. It's been much faster in Read almost as fast in Write as our older G-TECH RAID (I'm using a cheap USB3-eSATA adapter). I'm saving up for a G-TECH G|RAID Studio, but we're very happy with the Drivestation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.