Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
The wife of an exec I support says her iphone is full of pictures, so she wants a laptop to offload the pictures.

If I do what I'm asked, that will just create other problems: e.g. how is the laptop being backed-up.

1. What's the best solution for a non-sophisticated iphone user to manage photos?

2. Are there native apple solutions which will let her backup her photos to the icloud? If so, what tools are available on the ipad to manage the photos that are already uploaded? (She has an iphone & ipad).

3. If I install itunes on a laptop and she just connects it, will she be able to manage photos on the ipad, while continuing to have the iphone back itself up to the icloud?

I really don't want to inject a windows PC into the mix, and really hope apple has some solutions so I don't have to.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can try looking into some other services that do this kind of thing aside from iCloud, like Dropbox, OneDrive, Flickr, Copy, etc.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
But for someone without a pc?

Thanks. I started looking at dropbox & google's photo sync.

It seems like those are geared for a proficient laptop user who also has an iphone.

I'm looking for some ideas where I don't need to give her a laptop or have that headache .

Thanks for any thoughts,
Mike

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks. I started looking at dropbox & google's photo sync.

It seems like those are geared for a proficient laptop user who also has an iphone.

I'm looking for some ideas where I don't need to give her a laptop or have that headache .

Thanks for any thoughts,
Mike
You can then access the photos from another iOS device or another even non-iOS device generally speaking as well. What is it that you/she wants to be able to do with the photos once they are actually "offloaded" somewhere?

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I guess browse albums, organize them?

I guess simply backing up the photo stream is technically a backup. But, on a pc, typically you put them in albums by topic, organize them, can browse them easily, etc.

I guess that's the objective for the photos.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Remember that Photo Stream in iCloud only holds the last 1000 pictures, going back 30 days.

I don't know if this would be more hassle or not, but you could give her a PC that has the iCloud Control Panel installed. That PC should then automatically download new pictures as they're added to Photo Stream, so you don't have to worry about iCloud limiting Photo Stream to 1000 pictures/30 days.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess simply backing up the photo stream is technically a backup. But, on a pc, typically you put them in albums by topic, organize them, can browse them easily, etc.

I guess that's the objective for the photos.
You should be able to things of that nature using the apps for those services (like Dropbox, OneDrive, Flickr, etc.) without the need of a PC.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks everyone!

Good info, especially on the 1000/30.

I will look to see if there are apps for this purpose.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.