Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
So I have a scratch in the upper left corner of my one-month-old Retina MacBook Pro. I can't for the life of me think of how it happened. I can't tell if it's a scratch or a crack, but I take really good care of my electronics and have been babying the new computer. I took it to the Genius Bar and of course they said it's cosmetic damage so it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

It's currently being sent out for a different issue where they are replacing the logic board and top case, which makes me a little uncomfortable because it's only one month old.

singjai

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
This reminds me of what my friend did a few months back.. I got my new retina macbook on its release date. I've had it for about 7 months in perfect condition. Always had it in a sleeve inside my padded backpack, covered in a speck smart shell, keyboard cover, and a moshi palmguard. When I was at my buddy's house, he was showing me a new pair of true religion jeans he got. When he pulled it away, the belt hit my laptop's screen and left a 2 inch scratch on the upper left corner. You can't tell its there unless you put a flashlight on it but it still bugged me for a few weeks; then I got over it. You'll forget about it eventually.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
How on earth does a one month laptop require a new top case and logic board, and at the same time they have issues with replacing the screen lol. I'd argue that laptop should not have shipped, and you have a reason for a replacement .

Also the LCD is part if the top case. As in when they order the top case, the LCD is included.

Looks like your getting a new screen.

Basically they are saying the base is fine, and you broke the LCD . And they will replace the rest :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also the LCD is part if the top case. As in when they order the top case, the LCD is included.

Looks like your getting a new screen.

Basically they are saying the base is fine, and you broke the LCD . And they will replace the rest :)

The top case is the piece with the keyboard and trackpad attached, not the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.