Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
My notification centre isn't functioning correctly in 7.1
Despite numerous 'reset all settings' and several fresh installs of iOS, including setting up my iPhone 5 as a new phone, these bugs persist:

The notification centre ALWAYS opens on 'missed' or 'all', never on 'today'. I could understand it if there was something in the 'missed' and 'all' tabs, but they are ALWAYS blank. Once I have selected the 'today' tab then the notification centre will open the 'today' tab every time I pull it down....until I switch my phone off at bedtime. When I reboot my phone in the morning, the notification centre will again default to 'all' or 'missed' (usually 'missed').

The fact that the 'all' and 'missed' tabs are ALWAYS blank, whether I've missed calls and alerts or not, makes this all the more baffling.
Surely this can't be a hardware fault? I'm thinking that it must be a bug in the software but like I say, nothing cures it. Not a 'reset all settings' or indeed a fresh installation of 7.1

Does anyone else have this problem?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Select the Today tab after you reset/reboot your phone (which shouldn't happen much anyway) and it should be on it after that. The fact that it always goes to a different tab after a reset/reboot is a bit strange, but given the quick workaround for it and the general rarity of the situation, it's certainly of the more trivial type of bugs at best.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what is the point of the Missed tab? The All and Missed always have the same crap in them for me. I read somewhere that Apple is possibly removing the Missed tab in iOS 8.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Select the Today tab after you reset/reboot your phone (which shouldn't happen much anyway) and it should be on it after that. The fact that it always goes to a different tab after a reset/reboot is a bit strange, but given the quick workaround for it and the general rarity of the situation, it's certainly of the more trivial type of bugs at best.

Certainly a trivial bug, yes. Still annoying tho'

----------

Go to settings-> notification center. Are your apps included in notification center?

I have seven apps included, phone being one of them.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what is the point of the Missed tab? The All and Missed always have the same crap in them for me. I read somewhere that Apple is possibly removing the Missed tab in iOS 8.

In case you miss a phone call or FaceTime call, it would show up in missed. Pretty useless.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The part about not having anything in the notification center ever at all, that makes it rather strange.

Do you get other types of alerts, like banner alerts, and badges? And when you have those does the notification center still stay blank for those apps?

----------

In case you miss a phone call or FaceTime call, it would show up in missed. Pretty useless.
It's a little more than that, basically showing all notifications that have come in while your phone was locked the last time. And while it's generally useless for most, for some who might have a lot of things in the "all" section that they aren't dismissing for one reason or another, the "missed" section can potentially let them see just those things they missed when their phone was locked.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
The part about not having anything in the notification center ever at all, that makes it rather strange.

Do you get other types of alerts, like banner alerts, and badges? And when you have those does the notification center still stay blank for those apps?

----------

It's a little more than that, basically showing all notifications that have come in while your phone was locked the last time. And while it's generally useless for most, for some who might have a lot of things in the "all" section that they aren't dismissing for one reason or another, the "missed" section can potentially let them see just those things they missed when their phone was locked.

This is wierd. I clearly have read these and they appear in missed.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397698068.279137.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397698068.279137.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 138

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013

Do you get other types of alerts, like banner alerts, and badges? And when you have those does the notification center still stay blank for those apps?.

The today tab isn't blank, just the 'missed' and 'all' tabs. I still get banners, alerts and badges.
It's just that nothing EVER shows up in any of the tabs other than 'today', and also the way my notification centre never opens on the 'today' tab at the start of the day. This strange issue only arrived with 7.1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The today tab isn't blank, just the 'missed' and 'all' tabs. I still get banners, alerts and badges.
It's just that nothing EVER shows up in any of the tabs other than 'today', and also the way my notification centre never opens on the 'today' tab at the start of the day. This strange issue only arrived with 7.1
Not going to Today after a restart is hard to classify as a bug really as thigs get reset and unless it's truly specified somewhere that by default it has to go to a certain tab after a restart it might be acceptable behavior.

Now as for things not showing up under missed or especially all, that's odd. So this is all when the phone is unlocked and various apps are listed in "include" section of the notification center settings and have actual notifications that have come in recently?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Not going to Today after a restart is hard to classify as a bug really as thigs get reset and unless it's truly specified somewhere that by default it has to go to a certain tab after a restart it might be acceptable behavior.

Now as for things not showing up under missed or especially all, that's odd. So this is all when the phone is unlocked and various apps are listed in "include" section of the notification center settings and have actual notifications that have come in recently?

Yes. Things like messages, phone and whatsapp show as banners. The calendar shows in the today tab.
However, no missed calls, missed alerts, or
anything in fact ever appear in the missed or all tabs. A reset all settings fails to change this.
Some apps don't show as banners at all, but it could be a faulty app. I have a Bartlett's Quote app and it is supposed to have a 'quote of the day' which should show as a banner...it doesn't.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Despite numerous 'reset all settings' and several fresh installs of iOS, including setting up my iPhone 5 as a new phone, these bugs persist:

The notification centre ALWAYS opens on 'missed' or 'all', never on 'today'. I could understand it if there was something in the 'missed' and 'all' tabs, but they are ALWAYS blank. Once I have selected the 'today' tab then the notification centre will open the 'today' tab every time I pull it down....until I switch my phone off at bedtime. When I reboot my phone in the morning, the notification centre will again default to 'all' or 'missed' (usually 'missed').

The fact that the 'all' and 'missed' tabs are ALWAYS blank, whether I've missed calls and alerts or not, makes this all the more baffling.
Surely this can't be a hardware fault? I'm thinking that it must be a bug in the software but like I say, nothing cures it. Not a 'reset all settings' or indeed a fresh installation of 7.1

I've got exactly the same issue which I posted about here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1719440/

..everytime I pull the NC down, it ALWAYS opens on Missed or All...?!:confused:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I have managed to fix this issue on my iPhone 5.
A clean install via iTunes with 7.1.1 didn't help, so I did the following:

Reset all settings and completely erase content (via the settings)
Set up phone from an iCloud back-up
Once the back-up is completed, delete all email accounts
Reset all settings (but not the erase content option)
Go through selecting and toggling the settings you wish to have on your phone
Set up your email accounts again
Reset network settings
Enter your WiFi key and you should be good to go...

* I had done these things before, but not in this order, and seen no improvement. After switching my phone off at bedtime last night and rebooting it this morning, my notification centre is still opening on 'today' and the 'all' and 'missed' tabs are functioning correctly. I am getting entries in these tabs where I didn't previously.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have managed to fix this issue on my iPhone 5.
A clean install via iTunes with 7.1.1 didn't help, so I did the following:

Reset all settings and completely erase content (via the settings)
Set up phone from an iCloud back-up
Once the back-up is completed, delete all email accounts
Reset all settings (but not the erase content option)
Go through selecting and toggling the settings you wish to have on your phone
Set up your email accounts again
Reset network settings
Enter your WiFi key and you should be good to go...

* I had done these things before, but not in this order, and seen no improvement. After switching my phone off at bedtime last night and rebooting it this morning, my notification centre is still opening on 'today' and the 'all' and 'missed' tabs are functioning correctly. I am getting entries in these tabs where I didn't previously.
I would say that putting an iCloud or any other backup back on when there are issues can often not remedy those issues. Best to go without any backup or data at all to see if there's an actual issue somewhere with the phone or OS vs some sort of user data weirdness (from iCloud/backup/etc.).

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I would say that putting an iCloud or any other backup back on when there are issues can often not remedy those issues. Best to go without any backup or data at all to see if there's an actual issue somewhere with the phone or OS vs some sort of user data weirdness (from iCloud/backup/etc.).

I have run my phone with no back-up previously, and this bug (and others) still remained. Very strange.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Hmm. After two days of my notification centre working properly, it now isn't again :-/
What the heck.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmm. After two days of my notification centre working properly, it now isn't again :-/
What the heck.
I'm starting to wonder if turning the phone on and off so much consistently (and/or resetting it)--given that they would be needed to even notice let alone keep in checking on this trivial inconsistency--could be doing something not so good for the phone itself. After all, powering on and off are generally a few of the more taking functions on most electronic devices.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I'm starting to wonder if turning the phone on and off so much consistently (and/or resetting it)--given that they would be needed to even notice let alone keep in checking on this trivial inconsistency--could be doing something not so good for the phone itself. After all, powering on and off are generally a few of the more taking functions on most electronic devices.

I always switch my phone off at bedtime, and then back on again in the morning. I've done this for years, as I find it a good idea to 'rest' the device. As for the constant resets, this has only been since iOS7 arrived because I have suffered SO many problems. I just want my phone to work correctly, and until such a time I will tinker thus.
The iPhone 5/iOS7 has been my crappiest Apple device and my most troublesome mobile phone ever :-/

The notification centre issue isn't trivial mate, when it isn't working correctly I get zero notifications from any apps other than the system ones.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I always switch my phone off at bedtime, and then back on again in the morning. I've done this for years, as I find it a good idea to 'rest' the device. As for the constant resets, this has only been since iOS7 arrived because I have suffered SO many problems. I just want my phone to work correctly, and until such a time I will tinker thus.
The iPhone 5/iOS7 has been my crappiest Apple device and my most troublesome mobile phone ever :-/

The notification centre issue isn't trivial mate, when it isn't working correctly I get zero notifications from any apps other than the system ones.

I believe your issue lies in the phone, not the software. I would do my best to get a replacement from Apple.

Constant "tinkering" should not be necessary, and may in fact be causing a lot of your issues. Also, there is no need to "rest" the phone - technology has gotten to the point where there is no need to ever turn off the iPhone. Simply seems like an inconvenience to have to turn it back on each morning - especially considering you could miss important calls in the night or be delayed in contacting 911 in an emergency.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I definitely agree about the part of not getting any notifications being not trivial--and sounding like there's really something bigger behind it given everything that has been attempted already. The trivial part was more about the notification center going to missing instead of somewhere else after restarting. Sounds like a phone replacement is really the way to go unfortunately given that it's pretty much the only thing left that hasn't been tried.

As for powering on and off and all that, given today's state of mobile batteries and hardware it is actually more stressful to do that than to just leave the phone running all the time basically. The "resting" by turning it off might actually be doing be opposite to the phone and the battery than of it was just left running.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I definitely agree about the part of not getting any notifications being not trivial--and sounding like there's really something bigger behind it given everything that has been attempted already. The trivial part was more about the notification center going to missing instead of somewhere else after restarting. Sounds like a phone replacement is really the way to go unfortunately given that it's pretty much the only thing left that hasn't been tried.

As for powering on and off and all that, given today's state of mobile batteries and hardware it is actually more stressful to do that than to just leave the phone running all the time basically. The "resting" by turning it off might actually be doing be opposite to the phone and the battery than of it was just left running.

I would love a replacement phone, but my nearest Apple store is a 65 mile 'round trip and the last time I went (before iOS7.1 dropped) they just told me to wait for the update!

I don't want to drive all that way, pay for parking, and then be given some lame advice such as 'go home and do a clean install' etc. If there was a guaranteed replacement I would go.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've never understood the point of the Missed area. It's always empty and I am not good at keeping up with my notifications, so technically I miss a lot.
It's mostly there to show notifications that have come in while your phone was locked.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

Well it's a bug that's not leaving u... Did u try restoring via iTunes? Resetting from the phone sometimes doesn't help since the phone doesn't get a chance to completely remove the software and add it back.. If u do it via iTunes, it might help.. And yes, don't restore from backup, cause it loads the previous software on your phone... I know this cause I've tried an experiment...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.