Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobiousblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
My nmp finally shipped and I just wanted to ask since I've never used an amd setup before. Do the drivers need any sort of hacking under bootcamp to install normal crossfire drivers for gaming? Or do you just install them and it automatically detects the gpus?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
My nmp finally shipped and I just wanted to ask since I've never used an amd setup before. Do the drivers need any sort of hacking under bootcamp to install normal crossfire drivers for gaming? Or do you just install them and it automatically detects the gpus?

the boot camp drivers already allow you to enable crossfire

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012

These were done with normal catalyst drivers.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18992969/

Crossfire doesn't always work, as seen with some unigine tests, but in most games it's stellar.

mobiousblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Ok I just finished installing windows on the machine and I noticed the FirePro drivers were installed, so do I just uninstall them and install normal catalyst drivers or what?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Ok I just finished installing windows on the machine and I noticed the FirePro drivers were installed, so do I just uninstall them and install normal catalyst drivers or what?

no, leave the stock boot camp drivers

amd hasn't officially released updated dxxx drivers, i'm sure they will in a few months as the gpu matures

mobiousblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Alright thanks, I'll go ahead and do some gaming runs on the stock drivers. Hope they don't disappoint!

Hubies

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
I tried out the new release candidate drivers

A few days ago, the 14.4 Catalyst RC drivers (content complete but pre-WQHL certification drivers) were released. I was curious since the changelog lists various improvements to the way Crossfire X is implemented in the games that would need it at high resolutions: Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Thief, Titanfall, etc.

Here are some notes with my current nMP. First, the specs:
Stock 6 core @ 3.5ghz
Stock dual D500 3GB
16GB RAM (although that won't really enter into the performance equation)
Windows 8.1 x64 (only flavor of Windows you can run on the nMP so it goes without saying)

So:

1) Crysis 3: a MASSIVE improvement running at 2560x1440 with Very High Settings. The listed fix was for the frame-pacing, and now even with those options cranked up, it is a very playable 30-40fps in large environments and 50-55fps in corridors and inside buildings. Reducing shadow quality or particle effects will get you closer to 60 fps. This game truly makes the best of those GPUs

2) Battlefield 4: A noticeable improvement. The game was already playable at a constant 40-45fps with severe drops during multiple explosions or with heavy vehicle combat on-screen. The drops seem to come less frequently, and are less severe. Drops on 14.3 were often to the single digits, where it now seems to deep into the high teens.

3) Elder Scrolls Online: a few fundamental issues more related to its engine, but otherwise really smooth gameplay. 60+ FPS even during peak hours in towns.

I'll be getting my hands on a copy of Titanfall to test out this weekend. All in all, this is really starting to feel like a $4,000 workstation that can easily double as a great gaming PC. For the 3 months i've had this machine, I thought I made the wrong choice by skipping the D700 upgrade, but with these new drivers and hopefully future ones improving upon it, the performance needed to comfortably game at high and often max details at the Thunderbolt Display's native resolution is really there.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
A few days ago, the 14.4 Catalyst RC drivers (content complete but pre-WQHL certification drivers) were released. I was curious since the changelog lists various improvements to the way Crossfire X is implemented in the games that would need it at high resolutions: Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Thief, Titanfall, etc.

I avoided the 14.4 ones since they're not the official release yet, but that sounds fantastic.

I can say I've been easily playing Titanfall maxed at insane textures, everything up and 8xAA without issues as 1080p on the machine in my signature. This is with the 13.2 drivers.

I might actually install 14.4 now to have a look. Might even fix the silly Xfire issues in Unigine.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010

Here are some notes with my current nMP. First, the specs:
Stock 6 core @ 3.5ghz
Stock dual D500 3GB
16GB RAM (although that won't really enter into the performance equation)
Windows 8.1 x64 (only flavor of Windows you can run on the nMP so it goes without saying)

So:

1) Crysis 3: a MASSIVE improvement running at 2560x1440 with Very High Settings. The listed fix was for the frame-pacing, and now even with those options cranked up, it is a very playable 30-40fps in large environments and 50-55fps in corridors and inside buildings. Reducing shadow quality or particle effects will get you closer to 60 fps. This game truly makes the best of those GPUs

2) Battlefield 4: A noticeable improvement. The game was already playable at a constant 40-45fps with severe drops during multiple explosions or with heavy vehicle combat on-screen. The drops seem to come less frequently, and are less severe. Drops on 14.3 were often to the single digits, where it now seems to deep into the high teens.

3) Elder Scrolls Online: a few fundamental issues more related to its engine, but otherwise really smooth gameplay. 60+ FPS even during peak hours in towns.

I'll be getting my hands on a copy of Titanfall to test out this weekend. All in all, this is really starting to feel like a $4,000 workstation that can easily double as a great gaming PC. For the 3 months i've had this machine, I thought I made the wrong choice by skipping the D700 upgrade, but with these new drivers and hopefully future ones improving upon it, the performance needed to comfortably game at high and often max details at the Thunderbolt Display's native resolution is really there.

ok but these are still not 'official dXXX drivers, right? how is your gpu listed now, as 79xx or r9 xxx?

Hubies

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
ok but these are still not 'official dXXX drivers, right? how is your gpu listed now, as 79xx or r9 xxx?

They're listed as Radeon 7800 series, but the drivers install the FirePro Control Center software. Aside from EDID emulation, 10 bit display support, it's a distinction without a difference, since the games use the Radeon graphics drivers rather than the FirePro ones.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I finally got Win8.1 up and running on my nMP, and thus far I am very disappointed in the gaming experience. I and a few Steam and Origin titles, and funny enough:

1) My Steam games, Call of Duty MW3 and Sniper Ghost Warrior 2, both play fine. They are running at the most extreme settings.
2) My Origin games, BF3, Crysis3, and MOH Warfighter, all three play crap. You can't even call it playing, I can barely get to the menus.

I tried the stock drivers, and I tried the 14.6 Beta Catalyst drivers. I also tried using the "AMD Gaming Evolved" and according to it, BF3 and Crysis3 are both "optimized" - whatever that means. It most certainly does not work for me.

Any suggestions?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I finally got Win8.1 up and running on my nMP, and thus far I am very disappointed in the gaming experience. I and a few Steam and Origin titles, and funny enough:

1) My Steam games, Call of Duty MW3 and Sniper Ghost Warrior 2, both play fine. They are running at the most extreme settings.
2) My Origin games, BF3, Crysis3, and MOH Warfighter, all three play crap. You can't even call it playing, I can barely get to the menus.

I tried the stock drivers, and I tried the 14.6 Beta Catalyst drivers. I also tried using the "AMD Gaming Evolved" and according to it, BF3 and Crysis3 are both "optimized" - whatever that means. It most certainly does not work for me.

Any suggestions?

Not the best solution, but would it work if you disable the Xfire ?

mobiousblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012

Any suggestions?

I haven't tried bf3 or moh warfighter but bf4 runs fine, don't know why 3 doesn't. Haven't tried crysis either. All my games however are running at exceptional performer with the exception of those that don't support crossfire because of the high resolution I am playing at.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
At work now, so can test, but;

- Would there be anything in the Origin installation/settings that would affect all games?
- Even Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 was slow until I changed the Graphics settings from DX9 to DX11 - then all was fine. Is there something like that I can change anywhere in Crysis, MOH, or BF?
- Which drivers are you all using?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I've not had any issues at all with Catalyst 14.4 drivers. No slowdowns, no artifacting, lag or anything.

Also I don't touch the "optimisation" of AMD Gaming Evolved App, I just set the settings myself.

Been playing Titanfall with everything turned on and 8xAA and still get screen tearing without Vsync.

One thing I think might be an issue with BF3 is that BF4 uses Mantle with the cards in the Mac Pro, and that might be really helping performance.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
At work now, so can test, but;

- Would there be anything in the Origin installation/settings that would affect all games?
- Even Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 was slow until I changed the Graphics settings from DX9 to DX11 - then all was fine. Is there something like that I can change anywhere in Crysis, MOH, or BF?
- Which drivers are you all using?

I was wondering about Stream and Origin myself. TitanFall (Origin) out the box and insane settings no problem. I've played hours and this thing doesn't even make a peep.

Crysis3 on the other hand, and my CAN starts to sound like a hair dryer after about 5 minutes.-- Very loud and very hot. I wouldn't recommend playing it until they get it fixed.

Going to see how COD Ghosts does on stream and report back.

Got the latest official drivers late last week.

0x2102

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2014
I was wondering about Stream and Origin myself. TitanFall (Origin) out the box and insane settings no problem. I've played hours and this thing doesn't even make a peep.

Crysis3 on the other hand, and my CAN starts to sound like a hair dryer after about 5 minutes.-- Very loud and very hot. I wouldn't recommend playing it until they get it fixed.

Going to see how COD Ghosts does on stream and report back.

Got the latest official drivers late last week.

Crysis3 is most likely able to use CrossFire with your dual D700 and then it's completely normal that the single fan runs at maximum speed. Crossfire'd D700 will generate 300+ Watt of heat that needs to be dispersed.

It could be that TitanFall is not using CrossFire or is very light on your GPU's - I suspect that it's not using both GPU's with your current configuration.

Noise and heat will be much lower with Crossfire disabled but you will need to lower your settings a bit. As everything it's always a trade-off.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
if your GPU is rendering faster than your refresh rate and vsync is off you'll see screen tearing. has nothing to do with any other settings.

It's also due tot he framerate exceeding the refresh rate often, as in I'm getting easily over 60fps then. :)

reyh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014

Any suggestions?

I have no problems with crysis 3 under very high settings...you know that there is a known issue with mouse lag on windows8.1? I get 50-60fps on very high settings on crysis 3..Than fan is at full speed all the time..

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
hmmmm

I don't really have a choice about Win8.1 with BootCamped Windows on the nMP, but... it is not only mouse lag. It is the entire application that is not only slow, it is completely unplayable.

Still looking for a solution.

reyh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
hmmmm

I don't really have a choice about Win8.1 with BootCamped Windows on the nMP, but... it is not only mouse lag. It is the entire application that is not only slow, it is completely unplayable.

Still looking for a solution.

Wow, could be something else...I install windows 8.1 bare OS...and just origin and crysis 3..that is it..then I discovered about mouse lag until the hotfix did fix it or the workaround to click on compatibility mode and use window 8.0..Rest is fine..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.