Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I'm soon getting my nMP, and wonder if there is a reason to upgrade my aging 27" Cinema Display to the "latest" Thunderbolt Display? I'm eagerly awaiting Apples' 4K offering anyway, but that's a while of.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Wait until WWDC in June to see what Apple does about 4K@60Hz for MacBooks. OS 10.9.3 may be the basis for Apple to announce newer ATDs or other monitors.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
I know the 27" ACD is getting on a bit, and I'm sure you're getting the same 'upgrade twitch' I do. But the logical thing to do is wait for the impending 4k display, it's not too far away now and you'll be much happier with it in the long run.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I know the 4K offering is the right one, question is if I'd get anything from switching to the ATD in the meanwhile? If I bought an ATD it could replace my ACD until the 4K version came out,. And, as it probably won't match the new 4K one, it would be shortlived anyway.

So, any technical reason to pick an ATD over the ACD?

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I know the 4K offering is the right one, question is if I'd get anything from switching to the ATD in the meanwhile? If I bought an ATD it could replace my ACD until the 4K version came out,. And, as it probably won't match the new 4K one, it would be shortlived anyway.

So, any technical reason to pick an ATD over the ACD?

If you are not dying for ports or a speaker/webcam, your current one is going to be the exactly the same.

Not sure what you think is "aging" about the display. LED backlight, should be good until the rapture. Whereas I have two ACDs with backlights that get warmer every day.

If you are just bored with your 27" ACD, you won't see a display difference with the ATD.

Unless you want to eat the loss that comes with selling and trading up, your 27" can just be one of your 6 monitors that your nMP can push pixels to.

EDIT: I just looked at the specs of the 27" Cinema Display. You should have webcam and speaker support right now. If that is what you're upgrading from, you'd be getting a basic spec bump only, and a thunderbolt passthrough, and some convenience.

In which case you'd be upgrading to future proof only. But you'd also be buying a model that hasn't been refreshed in some time.

Assume that any new display will have TB2 as well, which the ATD does not. You won't want it to be a bottleneck.

Tough call, but waiting seems wise.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for all comments:) Probably what I needed to hear... Waiting for my nMP I guess it is easy to get carried away.

Unfortunately I can't fit two 27" monitors on my desk, and I am almost certain that any new Apple 4K monitor will not match the older ACD/ATDs stylewise.

So, I'll wait...

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
- they are ageing ??
My 2 x 23in ACD's from .... 2007 are still going strong, look great and have
never let me down.
I LOVE the flat matt screens also.

Yup wait and see, there are things coming from several companies, 4K is still
a new phenomenon !

M.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Speaking of ATD, compared to an iMac's 27" isn't it a bit too dark ? Is there a cookie-cutter profile for this monitor around ? Factory profile on Mavericks does't seem totally optimized.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Personally I reckon the TBD is actually a downgrade from the ACD, as it's identical apart from the connector - while Mini DisplayPort is a relatively standard connector found on many PC graphics cards (I've been using my 27" ACD with a PC since the display was released) as well as being compatible with Apple's own hardware from more recent years, Thunderbolt is supposedly an industry standard yet no-one other than Apple has really shown any sign of using it. So it could even go the same way as the old ADC connector where you had to buy a stupidly expensive and large adapter if you wanted to continue using your display just a few years later when they were no longer making machines with the connector, or if you wanted to use it with non-Apple hardware.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
while Mini DisplayPort is a relatively standard connector found on many PC graphics cards

Actually AFAIK, MDP was only used on Radeon Cards, Nvidia never embraced it. Apply developed the MDP standard in Late 2008.

It's use on current Radeon Cards seems to be limited to the high end R9 that drives multi monitors.

Lou

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
I thought the TBD/ATD also had FW800 and an Ethernet connector?
Yes I meant the actual screen and overall appearance of it is the same - the Thunderbolt connection (and therefore the functionality it provides ie the additional connectors) is the only difference.

Actually AFAIK, MDP was only used on Radeon Cards, Nvidia never embraced it. Apply developed the MDP standard in Late 2008.
It is AMD cards that seem to have the Mini DP connector yes, I use a Radeon 7970 which works great with the Cinema Display. Nvidia cards seem to usually have DisplayPort rather than the miniaturised version, the two are similar and I used to use a small/cheap cable with my previous card (a Radeon 4890) which also only had full-size DisplayPort. Although the Mini DP connection on the 7970 has been flawless so far, whereas with the full-size DP I occasionally had to remove and re-insert it after boot-up for it to recognise the correct resolution for the display.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^ ^ ^ ^I have used both. Never had an issue with either. I currently use a Gigabyte accelerated GTX 780 modified by MVC. I use a DP to DP Cable to my IPS HP monitor without issue.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.