Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Hi,

I just got a new iPad Air 16Gb cellular.

I'm gonna use thisone running official software and no JB.
But I'd like to save the possibillity for the future.

Is that possible to do befoere i upgrade to 7.1 somehow?
Like SHSH Blobs for aTV2 for instance.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi,

I just got a new iPad Air 16Gb cellular.

I'm gonna use thisone running official software and no JB.
But I'd like to save the possibillity for the future.

Is that possible to do befoere i upgrade to 7.1 somehow?
Like SHSH Blobs for aTV2 for instance.

Nope. You can't restore / downgrade to 7.0.6 once you're on 7.1. Stay on 7.0.6 - IMHO, the advantages of JB'ing far outweigh the problems caused by crashes.

Josasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Nope. You can't restore / downgrade to 7.0.6 once you're on 7.1. Stay on 7.0.6 - IMHO, the advantages of JB'ing far outweigh the problems caused by crashes.

Ok, i see, but the thing is that the iPad is not going to be used by me.
So i just want as few issues as possible, if u JB thisone, will it block updates etc so someone can't ruin it?

If, not, then maybe I'll just update it and forget about JB for now.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Ok, i see, but the thing is that the iPad is not going to be used by me.
So i just want as few issues as possible, if u JB thisone, will it block updates etc so someone can't ruin it?

If, not, then maybe I'll just update it and forget about JB for now.

Yes, it will block updates when jailbroken (unless they plug into iTunes, and then say 'yes, update' when the popup comes along).

If the person isn't tech savvy or has never jailbroken before, just update to 7.1 or you'll have to provide tech support if something goes wrong. SHSH blobs only work on A4 devices, unfortunately, so you'll be stuck on 7.1 (or higher) if you decide to upgrade.

Josasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Yes, it will block updates when jailbroken (unless they plug into iTunes, and then say 'yes, update' when the popup comes along).

If the person isn't tech savvy or has never jailbroken before, just update to 7.1 or you'll have to provide tech support if something goes wrong. SHSH blobs only work on A4 devices, unfortunately, so you'll be stuck on 7.1 (or higher) if you decide to upgrade.

Thanks for the info.

Well then I guess I'll just upgrade it and forget about it.
If it came with 7.1, I wouldn't have cared anyways.

Guess a untethered JB will come along in the future anyways if I decide to JB later on.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the info.

Well then I guess I'll just upgrade it and forget about it.
If it came with 7.1, I wouldn't have cared anyways.

Guess a untethered JB will come along in the future anyways if I decide to JB later on.

You may end up having to wait 1+ year... and I don't think 7.0 is useless. Sure it crashes lot compared to 7.1 but having access to f.lux, windowed multitasking (if and when it's released) etc. are a blessing.

Josasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Might be well over a year until i get one myself anyways ;)
Next thing on the list is a MBA Retina (if released) or MBPr.

Expensive enough :p

Upgrading to 7.1 now anyways, so it's now irellevant :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.