Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week we posted renderings of what the iPhone 6 might look like based on leaked design drawings of the unreleased device. Since that time, we've seen early cases and possible design molds for the device.

Ferry Passchier, the designer we commissioned for the original designs, has rethought the design as if it was modeled after the iPhone 5c with colorful plastic backings. Passchier produced these renderings with that in mind:

iphone6c-back-800x800.jpg

iphone6c-front-800x800.jpg

The original renderings assumed it followed Apple's aluminum design of the iPhone 5s, though an all-aluminum design would introduce issues with Apple's antenna design.

Apple is expected to release the iPhone 6 this fall, and we expect to see more design and part leaks as production starts ramping up.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Renders Reimagined as iPhone 6c

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hmmm very probable.

4.7inch plastic phone with bezels, first out the gate.
5.5inch alloy flagship, no bezel (lcd to antenna band), with the dual flash, later...

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Will be interesting to see where Apple goes with the C range, all the attention is on the iPhone 6 the now, will they discontinue the C, or keep it going in another form.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Ferry Passchier, the designer we commissioned for the original designs, has rethought the design as if it was modeled after the iPhone 5C with colorful plastic backings. Passchier produced these renderings with that in mind:

Rethought? Really? Don't think much thought went into this, this is just a rescaled 5C. This might be how it looks, but don't claim a lot of thought went into it - it is basically sticking with a design (and I actually really like the 5C, feels nice in the hand, nice touch to the surface and looks good in most colors - but this green is too extreme for me, but others might like it)

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
That might connect better with the previous story "New Photo of Alleged iPhone 6 Manufacturing Mold Hints at 4.7-Inch Display" as a mould would be used for the plastic back of a 6C whereas an aluminium iPhone6 would probably be CNC machined liked the MBP chassis.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
That might connect better with the previous story "New Photo of Alleged iPhone 6 Manufacturing Mold Hints at 4.7-Inch Display" as a mould would be used for the plastic back of a 6C whereas an aluminium iPhone6 would probably be CNC machined liked the MBP chassis.

Their plastic is also CNC machined. http://gizmodo.com/the-brilliant-simplicity-behind-the-iphone-5cs-design-1291914052

But yes, that article confused me. They'd likely injection mold a solid rear shell, followed by the CNC.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Yuck!
seriously you are wasting your money commissioning this guy.no offence but he has no talent,at least not in designing phones.
he just re-scales and mixes an iPad mini with an iPhone 5c on photoshop and call it his design!
it looks terrible,thanks god the real Apple product will not look like this.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
With all the sharp eyes on this forum I cant believe I am the only one to notice that the renderings don't match the drawings for the backside. The drawings clearly show a case separation on the backside like the front side separation from the glass. I imagine its also a sapphire back. So get your rendering engines started again, its a long way till September, we need more Rumors .

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I guess I'm one of the few who really likes the 5C. My only complaint has been the lack of higher capacity versions. If the 6 is designed like the 5C and has a 64 gb version, I'm getting it.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
If the schematics shown previously are to be believed as from the next iPhone, then it will have to have a plastic back - because there is no antennae windows shown.

If the next iPhone were to have an aluminum back, it would require the top and bottom glass or plastic windows that current 5s (old 5) and all iPads have (top and Apple logo in the case of the iPads).

If they stick with the current plastic and aluminum options for models going forward, then we haven't seen any examples of the metal backed versions or schematics yet. It could be they're being more secretive about it, or it could be the end (for now) of aluminum backed iPhones.

I'm fine either way - although I absolutely don't want some garish colored iPhone - black, gray or white MUST be an option or I'll stick with my 5s.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Why is the word "Alleged" not in the title? This is still no evidence whatsoever that anything has actually been leaked. Just because some Japanese website posted technical looking documents it doesn't mean that they are real. My son is a mechanical engineer and could make as convincing a blueprint on his Macbook without breaking a sweat.

lusky

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
my first thought when I seen the design mock-ups was that it looked 5c like and This would fit but whou knows, remember all the tapered design leaks before the 4s came out?

I'll say one this for the 5c, I work at weddings and every year you can see what the popular phones are with what guests are using, nothing scientific but anecdotal. and this year by quite a margin the most popular phone with guests (usually young female) has been the 5c, specifically the pink and yellow.

I know it means nothing in the grand scheme of things but it is a useful bellwether for what is the in phone every year, still a lot of 4 and 4s kicking around stills well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.