Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:47 PM   #1
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Exclamation FaceTime no longer working with iOS 6?

Since today, FaceTime seems to fail on iOS6. I've tried various combinations devices, networks and iOS6 / iOS7 version and all IOS6 connections fail with directly after picking up with "FaceTime Failed".

Does anyone have FT working as of today with iOS6?
(it might be a temporary issue..)
diddl14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:05 PM   #2
wannabepcuser
macrumors member

My wife's iphone 4 on iOS6.0.1 can't FaceTime anything. My kids iPod touch 4 on 6.1.6 can FaceTime any device. My 5s and and iPad Air both on 7.1 can FaceTime any device except the iphone 4. I do think the issue is with the early versions of ios6.
wannabepcuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:47 PM   #3
timborama
macrumors member

Yup, same issue. I was just on Apple Support chat for 90 minutes. Their only answer was to upgrade to iOS 7, which I will not do.

I think every device that is capable of running iOS 7, is cut off from FaceTime in iOS 6.x. The only iOS device that still works is 2G iPod running 6.1.5 or 6.1.6.

Also, to add OS X 10.8.x will no longer FaceTime either.

Last edited by timborama; Apr 17, 2014 at 02:58 PM.
timborama is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Appleboy4579
macrumors newbie

Question update your mac

did you update to 10.9
Appleboy4579 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:22 AM   #5
CVUSA
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddl14 View Post
Since today, FaceTime seems to fail on iOS6. I've tried various combinations devices, networks and iOS6 / iOS7 version and all IOS6 connections fail with directly after picking up with "FaceTime Failed".

Does anyone have FT working as of today with iOS6?
(it might be a temporary issue..)
My sister FaceTime to my iphone5 IOS6.1.2 last night ,it fail to pick up.
It might be because I did a Reset Network Setting lately ,My other Apps "What Apps" and "Delivery" just don't run anymore . But on iPad 3(IOS 6) "Delivery was work fine but FaceTime still the same fail. I didn't reset Network Setting on ipad3 .
CVUSA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:36 PM   #6
C DM
macrumors G5

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/17/...cetime-issues/
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 09:30 PM   #7
rweezy15
macrumors newbie

same here ipod 4g

my ipod touch 4g 6.1.5 wont either...it says connecting then says its lost they guy who mentioned his kids ipod on ios 6.1.6 how !!!
rweezy15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 09:32 PM   #8
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweezy15 View Post
my ipod touch 4g 6.1.5 wont either...it says connecting then says its lost they guy who mentioned his kids ipod on ios 6.1.6 how !!!
Update to 6.1.6?
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Jr. Pac
macrumors member

Guess what-it's another Apple strategy to get you to upgrade to iOS 7. They've disabled FaceTime calls from the server, according to them due to a "bug..." ...that seems only applies to iOS 7-capable devices that are running iOS 6.

The iPod touch still can make calls because its max update is 6.1.6 and cannot update to iOS 7.
Jr. Pac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Paddle1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. Pac View Post
Guess what-it's another Apple strategy to get you to upgrade to iOS 7. They've disabled FaceTime calls from the server, according to them due to a "bug..." ...that seems only applies to iOS 7-capable devices that are running iOS 6.

The iPod touch still can make calls because its max update is 6.1.6 and cannot update to iOS 7.
Apple only supports devices on the devices' newest software.
Paddle1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:48 PM   #11
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:

It isn't a server side problem nor is it some strange strategy to get people to upgrade. The certificate on the device that protects and encrypts FaceTime data has expired. It is outside of the allowed time frame for still being valid. This isn't a bug, it is the unstoppable progression of time rendering this inoperable due to its passing. Eventually, you won't be able to use an iOS 6 device because its internal certificates will expire resulting in it not booting. Still, those that continue to use iOS 6 put themselves at extreme risk of data breaches because of the unrelated SSL goto fail bug.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:17 PM   #12
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
It isn't a server side problem nor is it some strange strategy to get people to upgrade. The certificate on the device that protects and encrypts FaceTime data has expired. It is outside of the allowed time frame for still being valid. This isn't a bug, it is the unstoppable progression of time rendering this inoperable due to its passing. Eventually, you won't be able to use an iOS 6 device because its internal certificates will expire resulting in it not booting. Still, those that continue to use iOS 6 put themselves at extreme risk of data breaches because of the unrelated SSL goto fail bug.
Well, not all that use iOS 6, like those with 3GS phones for example that simply can't upgrade to anything beyond iOS 6. And if at some point in the somewhat near future things would get to the point where it won't even boot because of something like that without Apple addressing it, Apple will more than likely have quite a bit to deal with from a lot of people.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Well, not all that use iOS 6, like those with 3GS phones for example that simply can't upgrade to anything beyond iOS 6. And if at some point in the somewhat near future things would get to the point where it won't even boot because of something like that without Apple addressing it, Apple will more than likely have quite a bit to deal with from a lot of people.
3Gs devices don't suffer from the SSL goto fail bug if running iOS 6.1.6. The oldest version of iOS, 1.1.5, will expire and stop working or refuse to activate in 2021 according to the device's certificates. At that time, you'll be lucky if a news site even makes mention of it. By the time iOS 6 expires in either 2025 or 2026 depending on the version, so very few people will have an iOS 6 device it won't matter much and Apple won't even care. We'll probably have threads then complaining that Apple is forcing people to upgrade to iOS version 31.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Jr. Pac
macrumors member

Quote:
Apple doesn't have to make it expire. It's like forced obsolescence. I believe most users using iOS 6 and are actively avoiding iOS 7 have either jailbroken and installed the patch via Cydia; or others just aren't logging into their banks at airports regardless.
Jr. Pac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Apple doesn't have to make it expire. It's like forced obsolescence. I believe most users using jailbroken iOS 6 and are actively avoiding iOS 7 have installed the patch via Cydia; or others just aren't logging into their banks at airports regardless.
For proper security, it must expire. As dictated by the IEEE and even the most basic international encryption laws, every SSL certificate must have an expiration date within the certificate. The purpose for this is that no key can be guaranteed forever and it must at one point in the future be revoked by expiration and no longer trusted as it has the chance of being compromised. Unless Apple no longer wants to maintain complacency with the basics of SSL encryption, it must and will expire. To think this is planned obsolescence is just foolish and of poor overall judgement.

There's so much more at stake than logging into ones bank account at an airport with the SSL goto fail bug. Any SSL data, be it email, iMessage, or web pages, can be intercepted and decrypted. It doesn't have to be done at an airport or other public wireless network. The data can be intercepted and decrypted by a man-in-the-middle attack, within the ISP, where the ISP connects to the internet backbone, where the target server is located, or even out of the cellular data network by way of spoofing a cellular base station. Nearly every hop along the way is a weak point where the data can be intercepted and decrypted.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:22 PM   #16
aPple nErd
macrumors 68020

Quote:
3Gs devices don't suffer from the SSL goto fail bug if running iOS 6.1.6. The oldest version of iOS, 1.1.5, will expire and stop working or refuse to activate in 2021 according to the device's certificates. At that time, you'll be lucky if a news site even makes mention of it. By the time iOS 6 expires in either 2025 or 2026 depending on the version, so very few people will have an iOS 6 device it won't matter much and Apple won't even care. We'll probably have threads then complaining that Apple is forcing people to upgrade to iOS version 31.
IF... apple is still around in 2026... i mean probably but you never know.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:53 PM   #17
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
IF... apple is still around in 2026... i mean probably but you never know.
In that case, we'll have more pressing matters to worry about such as not being able to restore any device that doesn't have presigned SHSH blobs.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:36 AM   #18
ratsg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
do we know what that cert is?

Can we copy the cert off of a JB 7.x device and sftp/scp the device on to our JB 6.x devices?

Or is it a lot more complicated than that?
ratsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:40 AM   #19
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsg View Post
do we know what that cert is?

Can we copy the cert off of a JB 7.x device and sftp/scp the device on to our JB 6.x devices?

Or is it a lot more complicated than that?
It's within the certificate bundle in iOS. I forget where the bundle is exactly. You can't edit, add, or remove the certificates within the bundle without invalidating everything in the bundle. Doing so causes iOS to not boot as it can't validate itself.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6