Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeform

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Hi,

I have a frequent tendency to spill coffee or redwine over my Apple Keyboards. Managed to this on Tuesday also.

Just wondering if anyone have found a way to manually going into Target Display Mode?

I´m using my Retina 13" MBP as my main computer, wanting to connect the display of my old 27" iMac to it.

I´ve googled this and found two solutions: http://bogner.sh/2013/07/os-x-how-to-use-an-imac-as-monitor/, and an other tips sketching out this solution:

"Try this:

On the target display machine, create a shell script at ~/bin/tdm.sh containing:

#!/bin/sh
osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to key code 144 using command down'

Then, from the primary machine, issue this command from Terminal:

ssh username@target-display-machine "~/bin/tdm.sh"

It may still not work with a Logitech keyboard -- I don't have one to check it with. It did not work with no keyboard attached to the target display machine, but it did work with a generic USB keyboard attached."

But none of these solutions havent really worked out yet.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi,

I have a frequent tendency to spill coffee or redwine over my Apple Keyboards. Managed to this on Tuesday also.

Just wondering if anyone have found a way to manually going into Target Display Mode?

I´m using my Retina 13" MBP as my main computer, wanting to connect the display of my old 27" iMac to it.

I´ve googled this and found two solutions: http://bogner.sh/2013/07/os-x-how-to-use-an-imac-as-monitor/, and an other tips sketching out this solution:

"Try this:

On the target display machine, create a shell script at ~/bin/tdm.sh containing:

#!/bin/sh
osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to key code 144 using command down'

Then, from the primary machine, issue this command from Terminal:

ssh username@target-display-machine "~/bin/tdm.sh"

It may still not work with a Logitech keyboard -- I don't have one to check it with. It did not work with no keyboard attached to the target display machine, but it did work with a generic USB keyboard attached."

But none of these solutions havent really worked out yet.

Maybe I am missing something but why can't you hit CMD F2 from the Logitech keyboard? And if the CMD and OPT keys are backwards just hit Alt F2 or remap the key!

lifeform

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Because Apple has koded some special code for this, so activating Thunderbolt Display Mode __demands__ an Apple Keyboard. :-/

winterquilt

Suspended
Feb 18, 2008
Because Apple has koded some special code for this, so activating Thunderbolt Display Mode __demands__ an Apple Keyboard. :-/

You are completely right, it’s the small print in the contract that one doesn’t realise until fully invested.

I had a wireless peripheral arrangement which I hoped to carry over to control the MacBook, but with them also tethered to the iMac I have to disable Bluetooth, which was another issue.

I was going to get a cheap USB keyboard just to access TDM on the iMac, only then realising what Apple had sneakily done. There being no way to re-map the keys either.

But it does work smoothly, even with ancient Thunderbolt 1 devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.