Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
This is my opinion on what will happen to the iPod lineup in 2014.

iPod Touch
I think we can all say that if there is an iPod update this year, it will be most likely be an update of the iPod Touch. Why? Because it is Apple's most popular iPod and although it is a declining market, people still love and buy the iPod touch. I feel that the iPod touch is mostly for younger children or people who have a basic slide or flip phone but want the features of a smartphone without the monthly data costs. Also as it has been said many times, the iPod touch is the 'training wheels for iPhone'. I believe that if Apple does release a new iPod touch it will have the same size screen as the rumored iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 is rumored to have the 'air' design which the current iPod touch 5 already has. I would hope that they make a 128GB model and have a starting 32GB model instead of the 16GB that is currently on the shelf. PLEASE Apple, if you do make a 16GB model, don't be cheap and exclude the rear camera. I would also love it if Apple wasn't cheap like the previous years when they put an outdated processor in a new iDevice (looking at you iPod touch 5), hopefully it will have the newest A8 processor. Can I also pray that it includes Apple's newest iPhone feature; Touch ID. I don't know if I am the only person who likes having the middle volume control button on the iPod Nano 7 (same button that is on the iPhone EarPods that controls your music depending on how many times you click it) but I would love to see it on the iPod touch, or the iPhone for that matter. Also, I would like to see the same FM radio feature as on the Nano but on the iPod Touch so when your not in a Wi-Fi area you can listen to the radio since you don't have cellular capabilities on an iPod touch. Maybe I am asking for too much already but I'd also like to see Nike+ built into the iPod touch so I can track my progress when I run. Also, I'd love to see the much anticipated Apple iWatch be compatible with the iPod touch.

iPod Classic
It has been 6+ years (2007) since the classic has had an upgrade. I believe Apple has probably kept this iPod on the shelf because of people with large iTunes music libraries. The classic has old technology such as a spinning hard drive and the 30-pin connector. Most likely Apple will discontinue the Classic once they release an iPod touch with a 128GB capacity...and it is starting to look like this could be the year.

iPod Shuffle
I think it is safe to say that Apple won't discontinue the Shuffle. Sure, the Shuffle is extremely limited in features but it sells because it is cheap (only $50). People buy the Shuffle because it's a relatively inexpensive music player but it comes with the quality that all Apple products have. Its inexpensive price makes it a great gift for children or as a durable and small exercising accessory. Most likely, Apple won't update this product because it already has great features, great form factor for such a cheap device and a wide variety of colors.

iPod Nano
I believe Apple will continue to sell the Nano because it is a great music, work-out device. It's light, small, colorful, and has great features. Whether or not the shuffle will have a update is anyone's guess. If it does receive an update I think the most likely feature it will get is a 32GB model for people with larger music libraries. If the iPod Nano does get a big update then I don't know what to expect. If I had the choice, I would keep the same design but change the OS to make it appear more like iOS7, or by that time, an iOS8 style operating system within the applications but keep the same home screen format with the circular app icons (if an OS update such as this happened, I would love to see it on the iPod nano 7 as well). Also on my wish list, a camera (I'd prefer it to take stills and video, not just video like the iPod nano 5), speakers, and (maybe I am dreaming a bit) but a bluetooth iTunes music downloading feature so you don't have to connect your iPod nano to the computer every time you by a new song and instead you would connect your Nano to your iPhone or iPad through bluetooth to download a new song.

If you agree or disagree or have anything to add, leave your comments below!

Last edited:

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Apple dosent need to put the latest processor in. Their flagship product is the iPhone, and that will have the latest and greatest processor. The iPod touch is also a LOT cheaper than the iPhone, so don't expect much.
IPod nano. Don't get your hopes up. It's designed for people who work out or who only want a music player but can do a little more than the shuffle. I wouldn't care to have a camera on an iPod nano. Almost everyone nowadays has a phone with a camera.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Apple dosent need to put the latest processor in. Their flagship product is the iPhone, and that will have the latest and greatest processor. The iPod touch is also a LOT cheaper than the iPhone, so don't expect much.
IPod nano. Don't get your hopes up. It's designed for people who work out or who only want a music player but can do a little more than the shuffle. I wouldn't care to have a camera on an iPod nano. Almost everyone nowadays has a phone with a camera.

I agree, that the nano doesn't need most of what I said, but as a IPod Nano 7 owner I do see some of those things as improvements. And I guess it doesn't NEED a camera but it would be nice to have. And like you said the iPod touch is unlikely to have a new processor and that is also what keeps it cheap.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I agree, that the nano doesn't need most of what I said, but as a IPod Nano 7 owner I do see some of those things as improvements. And I guess it doesn't NEED a camera but it would be nice to have. And like you said the iPod touch is unlikely to have a new processor and that is also what keeps it cheap.

Ok, I will admit, I have an iPod nano 6g and when I only had that, I kinda did wish it had a camera, but that was a few years ago and now I have an iPhone. I just don't see them being able to include that at the current price point. It's still a lot for what you get. For only 80 bucks more you can get the iPod touch with so much more than the iPod nano. I did wish that my iPhone had radio. I loved that on my iPod nano.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple should treat the iPod touch like a smaller iPad or an iPhone without the phone, giving it yearly updates with the latest technology. (Such as an A8 processor this year)

Look at Apple's past attempts to reach a lower price with a lower quality device. The iPhone 5c was an attempt to cater to the lower end of the market with a lower quality device, and Apple admitted that strategy didn't work. After this, Apple updated the gimped iPad mini with high-end specs to stop trying to sacrifice quality for a lower price. Apple still sells the older iPad mini at a lower price, but Apple gave customers the option to buy the high-end product for a higher price. Apple's only other product that has received gimped updates is the iPod touch. Apple updated the 4th and 5th iPod touch with old internals, and sales have dramatically weakened since that decision. Now iPods account for only 2% of Apple's sales.

Apple customers want high end devices. History shows that when Apple tries to make a lower end device just to reach a lower price point, the attempt will lead to low profits because of either low sales (ex. iPhone 5c and iPod touch), or high sales with thin profit margins that cannibalize its other products (ex. first iPad mini). Apple succeeds when it makes high end devices with proper profit margins. Apple should make a high-end iPod touch and price it that way, and Apple can continue to sell the last iPod touch model at a reduced price, just like Apple does with iPhones and iPads.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Apple should treat the iPod touch like a smaller iPad or an iPhone without the phone, giving it yearly updates with the latest technology. (Such as an A8 processor this year)

Look at Apple's past attempts to reach a lower price with a lower quality device. The iPhone 5c was an attempt to cater to the lower end of the market with a lower quality device, and Apple admitted that strategy didn't work. After this, Apple updated the gimped iPad mini with high-end specs to stop trying to sacrifice quality for a lower price. Apple still sells the older iPad mini at a lower price, but Apple gave customers the option to buy the high-end product for a higher price. Apple's only other product that has received gimped updates is the iPod touch. Apple updated the 4th and 5th iPod touch with old internals, and sales have dramatically weakened since that decision. Now iPods account for only 2% of Apple's sales.

Apple customers want high end devices. History shows that when Apple tries to make a lower end device just to reach a lower price point, the attempt will lead to low profits because of either low sales (ex. iPhone 5c and iPod touch), or high sales with thin profit margins that cannibalize its other products (ex. first iPad mini). Apple succeeds when it makes high end devices with proper profit margins. Apple should make a high-end iPod touch and price it that way, and Apple can continue to sell the last iPod touch model at a reduced price, just like Apple does with iPhones and iPads.

Except that the 5C was NOT an attempt to low end market and Apple didnt admit anything. 5C is priced as a high end smartphone not even close to low end.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
MUST READ! My thoughts on the new iTouch(and other iPods)

Are you saying that my $550 iPhone 5c is a low cost option? Take a look at this: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...indows-phone-and-every-android-flagship-in-q4 A low cost option is a moto x. $99 on contract and $399 on contract. Apple have the iPad the newest processor because it's an iPad, and it gets yearly updates like the iPhone. It also dosent hurt that it's the number one selling tablet.

The iPod like accounts for 2% of their profit. Do you really think they care about that? They wouldn't have very many buyers of a higher end iPod touch, because you can go and get an iPhone that does the same thing.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
This is my opinion on what will happen to the iPod lineup in 2014.

iPod Touch
I think we can all say that if there is an iPod update this year, it will be most likely be an update of the iPod Touch. Why? Because it is Apple's most popular iPod and although it is a declining market, people still love and buy the iPod touch. I feel that the iPod touch is mostly for younger children or people who have a basic slide or flip phone but want the features of a smartphone without the monthly data costs. Also as it has been said many times, the iPod touch is the 'training wheels for iPhone'. I believe that if Apple does release a new iPod touch it will have the same size screen as the rumored iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 is rumored to have the 'air' design which the current iPod touch 5 already has. I would hope that they make a 128GB model and have a starting 32GB model instead of the 16GB that is currently on the shelf. PLEASE Apple, if you do make a 16GB model, don't be cheap and exclude the rear camera. I would also love it if Apple wasn't cheap like the previous years when they put an outdated processor in a new iDevice (looking at you iPod touch 5), hopefully it will have the newest A8 processor. Can I also pray that it includes Apple's newest iPhone feature; Touch ID. I don't know if I am the only person who likes having the middle volume control button on the iPod Nano 7 (same button that is on the iPhone EarPods that controls your music depending on how many times you click it) but I would love to see it on the iPod touch, or the iPhone for that matter. Also, I would like to see the same FM radio feature as on the Nano but on the iPod Touch so when your not in a Wi-Fi area you can listen to the radio since you don't have cellular capabilities on an iPod touch. Maybe I am asking for too much already but I'd also like to see Nike+ built into the iPod touch so I can track my progress when I run. Also, I'd love to see the much anticipated Apple iWatch be compatible with the iPod touch.

Must read ?

Touch 6:
4.7" screen (same dimensions as the iPhone 6 screen but not the same assembly as the iPhone 6 screen)
A7 1GB RAM
32GB / 64GB only (the 16GB Touch 6 will be in 2015)
No radio
No built in Nike+
No Touch ID
No middle volume control button like the iPod Nano 7

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Are you saying that my $550 iPhone 5c is a low cost option? Take a look at this: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...indows-phone-and-every-android-flagship-in-q4 A low cost option is a moto x. $99 on contract and $399 on contract. Apple have the iPad the newest processor because it's an iPad, and it gets yearly updates like the iPhone. It also dosent hurt that it's the number one selling tablet.

The iPod like accounts for 2% of their profit. Do you really think they care about that? They wouldn't have very many buyers of a higher end iPod touch, because you can go and get an iPhone that does the same thing.

I didn't say the iPhone 5c is a low cost option. I said it was a lower cost option compared to the 5s. The iPhone 5c is a repackaged iPhone 5; instead of Apple continuing to sell the iPhone 5 for $100 less, they replaced it with the 5c.

I think one reason why the iPod touch is less popular is that iPod touches receive outdated technology, whereas iPhones are updated with the latest technology every year. If Apple changes its iPod touch strategy to be along the lines of an "iPhone without the phone" or a "smaller iPad," it could price a 2014 A8-powered iPod touch a bit less then the iPad mini retina. Then Apple could also sell the previous gen hardware at a reduced price, just like it has always done. I am just saying that Apple could appeal to a larger market by including a high-end iPod touch option in addition to their current lower-end option.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I didn't say the iPhone 5c is a low cost option. I said it was a lower cost option compared to the 5s. The iPhone 5c is a repackaged iPhone 5; instead of Apple continuing to sell the iPhone 5 for $100 less, they replaced it with the 5c.

I think one reason why the iPod touch is less popular is that iPod touches receive outdated technology, whereas iPhones are updated with the latest technology every year. If Apple changes its iPod touch strategy to be along the lines of an "iPhone without the phone" or a "smaller iPad," it could price a 2014 A8-powered iPod touch a bit less then the iPad mini retina. Then Apple could also sell the previous gen hardware at a reduced price, just like it has always done. I am just saying that Apple could appeal to a larger market by including a high-end iPod touch option in addition to their current lower-end option.

The market for the iPod touch declined more and more every year because parents get their kids an iPhone when they deem the kid responsible enough to have an iPhone, and thus they don't get iPods anymore. I see 10 year olds with iPhones. I got my first iPod touch when I was 12, then I got an iPhone 4 at 14, now I have an iPhone 5c and won't ever have another iPod touch.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The market for the iPod touch declined more and more every year because parents get their kids an iPhone when they deem the kid responsible enough to have an iPhone, and thus they don't get iPods anymore. I see 10 year olds with iPhones. I got my first iPod touch when I was 12, then I got an iPhone 4 at 14, now I have an iPhone 5c and won't ever have another iPod touch.

I agree that age is not a factor anymore for people buying an iPhone vs an iPod touch. Apple shouldn't try to market the iPod touch to kids anymore because this market has now shifted to iPhones. In fact, I think the iPhone 5c shows that Apple has realized this market shift.

Apple should market the iPod touch to people who have no use for a data plan and mainly use wifi. For them, a data plan might not be worth the money. And many carriers do not support buying an iPhone without a data plan. The other option, which is less expensive, is to use an iPod touch and a basic phone.

Apple would benefit if they sell a more expensive iPod touch with the current iPhone/iPad processor, in addition to what they sell now (an iPod touch with an older processor at a lower cost). For example, Apple could update the iPod touch to use a similar strategy as the $399 iPad mini current gen and the $299 iPad mini previous gen.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
My thoughts:

iPod touch. The new touch will receive newer specs, but not brand new. It will not get the A8 chip because its training wheels for the iPhone. It will most likely get the iPhone 5s specs (1.3GHz, Dual Core, 64-bit, 1GB of RAM) with the 5/5cs camera, no Touch ID (the $400 iPad mini doesn't have it, why would the $229 iPod touch have it?). The A8 chip will be reserved for the iPhone and iPad only. Maybe in a year the touch will get the A8 chip, but its not going to be on the bleeding edge of Apple's new tech. I'm still on the fence about the display, as it could also be argued that the iPod touch isn't just an iPhone on training wheels, but a smaller, portable, handled media consumption device without a 3G antenna (an "MP3 Player" or "Portable Video Player" if you will). I have doubts about 2 different sized iPhones, but iPod touches are a different story.

iPod Classic. Great friend, companion, and music player. RIP 2001-2014.

iPod Shuffle. Nothing much needs to be done here, except I would push for a 4GB, and maybe even an 8GB model. 2GB isn't very much space anymore. About, what, 400 low-quality songs? (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). It would make sense for Apple to make this move and charge a few extra bucks (maybe $10-$20 depending on the size). I know I would jump on an 8GB model, or hell even an 4GB model. Either would hold my music library (although the 4GB would be pushing it).

iPod nano. Nothing much. Maybe a software update for 7th Gen models and a "7.5" Gen" with a higher capacity and maybe a larger screen for video viewing (not to big, or it will cannibalize the sales of the touch).

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
My thoughts:

iPod touch. The new touch will receive newer specs, but not brand new. It will not get the A8 chip because its training wheels for the iPhone. It will most likely get the iPhone 5s specs (1.3GHz, Dual Core, 64-bit, 1GB of RAM) with the 5/5cs camera, no Touch ID (the $400 iPad mini doesn't have it, why would the $229 iPod touch have it?). The A8 chip will be reserved for the iPhone and iPad only. Maybe in a year the touch will get the A8 chip, but its not going to be on the bleeding edge of Apple's new tech. I'm still on the fence about the display, as it could also be argued that the iPod touch isn't just an iPhone on training wheels, but a smaller, portable, handled media consumption device without a 3G antenna (an "MP3 Player" or "Portable Video Player" if you will). I have doubts about 2 different sized iPhones, but iPod touches are a different story.

iPod Classic. Great friend, companion, and music player. RIP 2001-2014.

iPod Shuffle. Nothing much needs to be done here, except I would push for a 4GB, and maybe even an 8GB model. 2GB isn't very much space anymore. About, what, 400 low-quality songs? (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). It would make sense for Apple to make this move and charge a few extra bucks (maybe $10-$20 depending on the size). I know I would jump on an 8GB model, or hell even an 4GB model. Either would hold my music library (although the 4GB would be pushing it).

iPod nano. Nothing much. Maybe a software update for 7th Gen models and a "7.5" Gen" with a higher capacity and maybe a larger screen for video viewing (not to big, or it will cannibalize the sales of the touch).

The iPod touch should not be an iPhone on training wheels anymore. That market has virtually disappeared. Most phones bought nowadays are smartphones, and kids are getting phones at an early age. The iPod touch should be a portable media device with specs on par with the iPhone and iPad. This next year, I think Apple should release 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch iPod touches with A8 processors, effectively making them smaller "iPads" without compromising them based on their size. Just like Apple did with the retina iPad mini, Apple could give the new model up-to-date specs and increase the price, while still selling the previous model at a lower price.

The iPod classic and shuffle are perfected products that still have markets. I see no reason to discontinue them. When solid state storage is as cheap as hard drives, then maybe Apple will discontinue the iPod classic.

I think the iPod nano should eventually get full iOS, similar to an iWatch without a wristband. In fact, an iWatch could replace the iPod nano if it was cheap enough.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The iPod touch should not be an iPhone on training wheels anymore. That market has virtually disappeared. Most phones bought nowadays are smartphones, and kids are getting phones at an early age. The iPod touch should be a portable media device with specs on par with the iPhone and iPad. This next year, I think Apple should release 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch iPod touches with A8 processors, effectively making them smaller "iPads" without compromising them based on their size. Just like Apple did with the retina iPad mini, Apple could give the new model up-to-date specs and increase the price, while still selling the previous model at a lower price.

No. Just, no. At that point they might as well discontinue the iPod touch and rebrand them as "iPad micro". AFAIK, the main demographic of the iPod touch is still kids.

The iPod classic and shuffle are perfected products that still have markets. I see no reason to discontinue them. When solid state storage is as cheap as hard drives, then maybe Apple will discontinue the iPod classic.

I can agree on the shuffle, but with the Classic, it hasn't been touched in 5 years! Why on earth why they keep it? Its not that it uses a spinning drive, its that its still using a spinning drive. Its the only iPod left with a click wheel and 30-pin connector. Apple is moving toward a Lightning-only line up this year. The iPad 2 was discontinued in favor of the 4th Gen model (with Lightning). The iPhone 4s will be dropped for the iPhone 5c later this year when the 6 comes out, the nano has been updated with it. The only oddball is the shuffle which uses the headphone jack, but Apple wants to kill all 30-pin products by the end of the year, as far as I can tell.

I think the iPod nano should eventually get full iOS, similar to an iWatch without a wristband. In fact, an iWatch could replace the iPod nano if it was cheap enough.

It will never receive full iOS. I don't think it will ever even run iOS, but if it did it would stripped down, similar to the Apple TV. Music, Radio Tuner, videos, Nike Plus, Photos and a few other things, but no App Store, nothing. At that point it would also need Wi-Fi, which would be nice but won't be needed.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Apple priced themselves out with the iPad touch 5th gen. We'll see if they release another Touch and at what cost.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
No. Just, no. At that point they might as well discontinue the iPod touch and rebrand them as "iPad micro". AFAIK, the main demographic of the iPod touch is still kids.

Age is no longer a factor in the iPod touch market. Nowadays, when a kid is in the market for an iPod touch, they are also in the market for a cellphone. The majority of cellphones sold are smartphones, which have iPod touch capabilities. Also, iPhones have been around for six years; kids not old enough for a cellphone are often handed down an old iPhone to use as an iPod touch. I see two iPod touch markets.

One iPod touch market: People without data plans. Some people are mostly around wifi and rarely use wireless data, and a data plan simply is not worth the money. They would get a smartphone for wifi/call/text, however, major carriers do not support getting smartphones without data plans. These people may resort to getting a basic phone and an iPod touch.

The other iPod touch market: People with iPhones who want another device for extra storage, separate battery life, home use, music, podcasts, web browsing, games, etc.

The people in these two demographics need a choice: Either pay more for up-to-date hardware or pay less for previous-generation hardware. Apple should sell the iPod touch this way, just as they do with the iPad Air/iPad 4, the rMini/Mini, and the 5S/5C/4S. So, each year, Apple should make a higher priced iPod touch with current internals, and sell the previous generation for less. This is a win/win for all demographics.

-------------

With regards to the other iPods, Apple has nothing to lose by keeping products on the shelf until its new products completely cannibalize them. The iPod shuffle is an inexpensive tiny clip-on music player. The iPod classic is an inexpensive high capacity music player; it will be replaced with a 128GB iPod touch once SSDs and touch displays get cheaper. And the iPod nano will be replaced with an inexpensive iWatch; in fact, the previous generation nano was similar to an iWatch.

Kelownadon

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2014
Ipod touch features wanted

To me any new ipod touch should be considered a micro ipad with a screen size of about 5.2 inches. I think the market is just waiting for this type of device. I do not use a cell phone and want to be able to carry a micro ipad in my pocket 24/7. An FM tuner would also be a fantastic addition, especially one that would allow bluetooth connection.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
To me any new ipod touch should be considered a micro ipad with a screen size of about 5.2 inches. I think the market is just waiting for this type of device. I do not use a cell phone and want to be able to carry a micro ipad in my pocket 24/7. An FM tuner would also be a fantastic addition, especially one that would allow bluetooth connection.

Don't get your hopes up. FM radio is dying, slowly. I highly doubt Apple would come up with a way to use fm radio over bluetooth either. You have to have an antennae and usually the headphones are antennae.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Sorry for not responding earlier.

Age is no longer a factor in the iPod touch market. Nowadays, when a kid is in the market for an iPod touch, they are also in the market for a cellphone. The majority of cellphones sold are smartphones, which have iPod touch capabilities. Also, iPhones have been around for six years; kids not old enough for a cellphone are often handed down an old iPhone to use as an iPod touch. I see two iPod touch markets.

One iPod touch market: People without data plans. Some people are mostly around wifi and rarely use wireless data, and a data plan simply is not worth the money. They would get a smartphone for wifi/call/text, however, major carriers do not support getting smartphones without data plans. These people may resort to getting a basic phone and an iPod touch.

The other iPod touch market: People with iPhones who want another device for extra storage, separate battery life, home use, music, podcasts, web browsing, games, etc.

The people in these two demographics need a choice: Either pay more for up-to-date hardware or pay less for previous-generation hardware. Apple should sell the iPod touch this way, just as they do with the iPad Air/iPad 4, the rMini/Mini, and the 5S/5C/4S. So, each year, Apple should make a higher priced iPod touch with current internals, and sell the previous generation for less. This is a win/win for all demographics.

-------------

With regards to the other iPods, Apple has nothing to lose by keeping products on the shelf until its new products completely cannibalize them. The iPod shuffle is an inexpensive tiny clip-on music player. The iPod classic is an inexpensive high capacity music player; it will be replaced with a 128GB iPod touch once SSDs and touch displays get cheaper. And the iPod nano will be replaced with an inexpensive iWatch; in fact, the previous generation nano was similar to an iWatch.

From what Apple's newest posted profits are, it seems the iPod has been cannibalized. It accounted for 1% of Apple profits in the last quarter. 1% The "other" category accounts for more of Apple's profits then the iPod. I think "other" is accessories, etc, in which case its sad Apple's profits from selling accessories are higher then their product that was selling like hotcakes a decade ago. I'm glad they came up with the iPhone and iPad because who knows where Apple would have been if they had ridden out the iPod wave all the way?

Plus, moving the iPod touch to the iPad line up would be a good move for some people, particularly your #2 group. For instance, like the rest of the iPads, it would get a larger screen (maybe even bigger then the rumored iPhone 6, I'm thinking 5.0-5.5"). It would also have the most current tech since it is now an "iPad" and not an iPod. I think Apple might even add the option for a data-only cellular radio so it would be a real micro-sized iPad. The colored backs might be dropped as well as the loop, but whatever. I can already see the new tag lines:

Introducing our smallest iPad yet.

iPad. One size does not fit all.

Our most forward thinking iPad lineup yet.

iPad. To the power of 9, 7, and now 5.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

Don't get your hopes up. FM radio is dying, slowly. I highly doubt Apple would come up with a way to use fm radio over bluetooth either. You have to have an antennae and usually the headphones are antennae.

Since the first iPod touches, the wireless chips had the ability to listen to FM radio with headphones as an antennae. Apple has just never enabled it on iOS. However, Apple did enable it on the iPod nano. FM radio is older technology, and I think Apple doesn't want to enable it on internet connected devices because it would compete with iTunes Radio.

From what Apple's newest posted profits are, it seems the iPod has been cannibalized. It accounted for 1% of Apple profits in the last quarter. 1% The "other" category accounts for more of Apple's profits then the iPod. I think "other" is accessories, etc, in which case its sad Apple's profits from selling accessories are higher then their product that was selling like hotcakes a decade ago. I'm glad they came up with the iPhone and iPad because who knows where Apple would have been if they had ridden out the iPod wave all the way?

Plus, moving the iPod touch to the iPad line up would be a good move for some people, particularly your #2 group. For instance, like the rest of the iPads, it would get a larger screen (maybe even bigger then the rumored iPhone 6, I'm thinking 5.0-5.5"). It would also have the most current tech since it is now an "iPad" and not an iPod. I think Apple might even add the option for a data-only cellular radio so it would be a real micro-sized iPad. The colored backs might be dropped as well as the loop, but whatever. I can already see the new tag lines:

Introducing our smallest iPad yet.

iPad. One size does not fit all.

Our most forward thinking iPad lineup yet.

iPad. To the power of 9, 7, and now 5.

I agree with you.

To let you know, the Other category includes Apple TV.

It's interesting that at this time two years ago iPods made up over 5% of sales, and now they make up 1%. The iPod touch would be more popular if it had current specs. The one problem with moving the it to the iPad line would be that it would still run iPhone apps, not iPad apps.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I agree with you.

To let you know, the Other category includes Apple TV.

It's interesting that at this time two years ago iPods made up over 5% of sales, and now they make up 1%. The iPod touch would be more popular if it had current specs. The one problem with moving the it to the iPad line would be that it would still run iPhone apps, not iPad apps.

I forgot about the Apple TV. Plus it would also include the AirPort Extremes and Time Capsules along with SuperDrives, etc. If they did move it to the iPad line up, I think they would swap the OSes making the new iPad micro run iPad apps and the iPhone will be left with iPhone apps.

It would make more sense, because then there would be only 3 product lines running iOS versus 4 (Apple TV included) to help trim down the releases. Plus, I have always seen the iPad as a bigger iPod touch, so it would be a natural fit. Apple would probably boost sales doing this since the iPad branding right now is valued higher then the iPod branding. We would probably also wave goodbye to our other iPod friends at the time, including the iPod shuffle, nano, and classic.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I forgot about the Apple TV. Plus it would also include the AirPort Extremes and Time Capsules along with SuperDrives, etc. If they did move it to the iPad line up, I think they would swap the OSes making the new iPad micro run iPad apps and the iPhone will be left with iPhone apps.

It would make more sense, because then there would be only 3 product lines running iOS versus 4 (Apple TV included) to help trim down the releases. Plus, I have always seen the iPad as a bigger iPod touch, so it would be a natural fit. Apple would probably boost sales doing this since the iPad branding right now is valued higher then the iPod branding. We would probably also wave goodbye to our other iPod friends at the time, including the iPod shuffle, nano, and classic.

First, if a 5.5" device ran iPad apps, Apple would need to include a stack of sandpaper.

Second, the iPod shuffle and classic will not be discontinued. They have their markets. Apple will simply keep them on the shelves.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Interesting insight but it would help if you start new paragraph little more often than this.

My personal feeling to Ipod line this year somewhat differs

Ipod touch: Ipod touch 5 was considered as user's favorite dispite the high price but then apple release Ipad mini to destroy that demand. Touch 16gb is an abomination, people even return the thing after realized there is no back cam. Apple can only do minor change, maybe white front if they will do anything with Ipod touch this year.

Like what Tim Cook said, Ipod is declining and Ipad sales is also not good. Ipad made more profit so apple has bigger problem for them than ipod touch upgrades.

Ipod nano: until they put wifi in, ipod nano is useless. No wifi sync for mp3 player at usd 150.

Ipod shuffle: 50usd is not cheap for screenless player. U can get 4gb sansa at 29 and it has screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.