Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Recently, my home was burglarized. We have an alarm system and pad lock on our garage door entrance which is the main entrance we use. Oddly, they came 4 times; once on the 29th of March, next on the 4th, then on the 8th and 9th of this month. My Xbox One got stolen on the 29th, PS4 stolen on the 4th, iPad Air and my brothers Xbox One on the 8th and my brothers sunglasses and they moved my TV from on top of a shelf to the floor of my bedroom on the 9th. They also tried busting into my brothers in wall safe (this is my brother with the sketchy overseas business) that absolutely no one except family knew about). For what it's worth, my iPad has 4G capabilities and is in lost mode but it's offline - I'd assume they took the SIM card out. On the 10th, we called the police and an investigation was started. We were questioned and had a decent idea of who it was.
Backing up to the 9th, the last burglary, my neighbor whom I've never met or talked to before saw an older car pull up to her house and a guy in a white shirt and jeans walk towards my house. Unfortunately, she didn't see if he walked out with anything. Going forward - the next day we get fingerprints collected. They don't find anything. A couple days later, my brother gets contacted from an old friend who has a history of stealing, just not from us. He told him he was fired from CVS, his place of work, for stealing cartons of cigarettes and that he's strapped for cash. We call the police and tell them ASAP, we give all the information we have on him: full name, phone #, Facebook... Just no address as we don't know where he lives exactly. The investigation is still ongoing and we have them collecting fingerprints tomorrow morning on my TV to see if they could find any matches. My main question is what should we do next? Wait it out? Could we get him for circumstantial evidence? Also, if found guilty, will he have to pay us back if the stuff was sold, which I assume it was? There have been no visits since the 9th. Our neighbor is willing to testify for us. Any advice is appreciated. Value is approx. $2k.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Oh man, where to begin....

This will be good; I can feel it.

Did your alarm go off any of those times?

I forgot to mention, we didn't arm the alarm until the 9th which explains why they didn't take the TV. It's a 30 second or 1 minute window. We usually don't arm it, it's just there as a deterrent.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
First of all, good luck! Most important thing is nobody got hurt, and nobody was waiting inside, or violence did not occur. I have a friend whose sister in law got robbed, she walked in and the thief was in her closet, knocked her down and bolted out......same deal...nobody got hurt.

You unfortunately have no choice BUT to wait it out. Police have already been called, and names were given. If you confront the individual and it turns bad, you could get in trouble as ridiculous as it sounds.

If the stuff is not recovered, call your insurance company. Don't put in a claim yet, be inquisitive first. Question 1 is if you put the claim in, would you lose your claim free discount, and could you be surcharged? If so, it could cost you more than the claim pays out which would not be worth it. If you Deductible is $1000, don't bother as it will most certainly cost more in premiums. Another important question is, the fact that there were multiple occurrences, would it be considered one claim or multiple? In that case the deductible would apply multiple times and multiple claims would almost assure cancellation of your policy, and being that it would show up in your claims history, good luck finding insurance elsewhere.

I hope this all helps, I wish you good luck again.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'd be looking at close friends,relatives and neighbors.

To get burgled 4 times in a week is very unusual..

They must have known when people wouldn't be home.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Concerning the stolen iPad, why don't you just have your brother pull one from the pallet for you before it gets shipped off? No biggie. ;)

In all seriousness, Im glad to hear you weren't physically harmed. In these situations I'd be really concerned about my family's safety.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Like most of your posts, it doesn't add up. Who gets robbed four times before calling the police?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why wait so long to call the police?

One of the first things I'd do after being burgled is set up some CCTV. Raspberry Pi, couple 720p USB webcams and sorted on the cheap.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A couple of things.
First why did you wait until the 10th to call the police when you were first robbed on the 29th? Most people I know would be on the phone the second they see their house ransacked. Its completely counter to human nature. Plus if you file for an insurance claim the insurance company will want the police report.

Secondly did you tell the police you were robbed previously and did not call them until multiple robberies.

We usually don't arm it, it's just there as a deterrent.
You do realize that the majority of people who have alarms don't arm them and that that thieves know this. Seeing a sign on the lawn that you have an alarm is not that great of a deterrent, especially if you were already robbed.

I'd look to be a little more disciplined in setting the alarm at night or when you go out.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Like most of your posts, it doesn't add up. Who gets robbed four times before calling the police?

Agreed.

Why wait so long to call the police?

One of the first things I'd do after being burgled is set up some CCTV. Raspberry Pi, couple 720p USB webcams and sorted on the cheap.

Good idea.

A couple of things.
First why did you wait until the 10th to call the police when you were first robbed on the 29th? Most people I know would be on the phone the second they see their house ransacked. Its completely counter to human nature. Plus if you file for an insurance claim the insurance company will want the police report.

Secondly did you tell the police you were robbed previously and did not call them until multiple robberies.

You do realize that the majority of people who have alarms don't arm them and that that thieves know this. Seeing a sign on the lawn that you have an alarm is not that great of a deterrent, especially if you were already robbed.

I'd look to be a little more disciplined in setting the alarm at night or when you go out.

Excellent questions, and I can't wait to hear some answers for them.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm sorry but I just don't believe any of this. Nobody could be this careless and unfazed by being burglarized 4 times in a row.

You should go back and look at other threads he started in the past.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
4 times in 2 weeks?

1. Buy a gun if you don't have one already.
2. Take a week off of work and stay home.
3. Wait.

I also don't buy that it takes 3 times of being robbed within a less than 2 week window to arm an alarm you already have installed. But maybe that's just me.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
A couple of things.

Trooper is searching for fingerprints now. Reason I didn't call the police earlier is because I honestly thought my brother did it and was strapped for cash. Then he got robbed so it didn't add up. They only seem to come by when no cars are at the house, which is why we set up a surveillance system. Why they came 4 times instead of taking things all at once? No idea.

----------

4 times in 2 weeks?

1. Buy a gun if you don't have one already.
2. Take a week off of work and stay home.
3. Wait.

We have hidden security cameras around the house now that detect motion for that exact purpose. Plus they haven't stopped by in over a week.

----------

First of all, good luck! Most important thing is nobody got hurt, and nobody was waiting inside, or violence did not occur. I have a friend whose sister in law got robbed, she walked in and the thief was in her closet, knocked her down and bolted out......same deal...nobody got hurt.

You unfortunately have no choice BUT to wait it out. Police have already been called, and names were given. If you confront the individual and it turns bad, you could get in trouble as ridiculous as it sounds.

If the stuff is not recovered, call your insurance company. Don't put in a claim yet, be inquisitive first. Question 1 is if you put the claim in, would you lose your claim free discount, and could you be surcharged? If so, it could cost you more than the claim pays out which would not be worth it. If you Deductible is $1000, don't bother as it will most certainly cost more in premiums. Another important question is, the fact that there were multiple occurrences, would it be considered one claim or multiple? In that case the deductible would apply multiple times and multiple claims would almost assure cancellation of your policy, and being that it would show up in your claims history, good luck finding insurance elsewhere.

I hope this all helps, I wish you good luck again.

Thanks. We already thought of an insurance claim, unfortunately the deductible is $2500, which makes no sense to use. From your experience, did you get your property back or reimbursed for it? Or did the guy just get time if he couldn't pay it back or something (if they ever found him)?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Trooper is searching for fingerprints now. Reason I didn't call the police earlier is because I honestly thought my brother did it and was strapped for cash.

Oh well that's totally normal then. My sister burglarizes my house all the time when she's cash strapped. :rolleyes:

----------

You should go back and look at other threads he started in the past.

Just did. I see squilly gets scammed and has things stolen from him fairly often. Makes you question one's sanity...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So you have an alarm, but don't use it. You get robbed, but still don't use it. You get robbed again but you still don't use it. You then have another robbery, and you think to call the police?

I don't understand. When I got robbed (had an alarm and it was set). I installed extra locks and slept with a baseball bat (we don't do guns in England).

Oh and I called the police that evening. I didn't have insurance then as I was poor. Didn't have much worth stealing either though!

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Oh well that's totally normal then. My sister burglarizes my house all the time when she's cash strapped. :rolleyes:

----------

Just did. I see squilly gets scammed and has things stolen from him fairly often. Makes you question one's sanity...

This is the first time I've gotten burglarized. Still, if it's this guy I think it is, can he be harangued for circumstantial evidence?

----------

So you have an alarm, but don't use it. You get robbed, but still don't use it. You get robbed again but you still don't use it. You then have another robbery, and you think to call the police?

I don't understand. When I got robbed (had an alarm and it was set). I installed extra locks and slept with a baseball bat (we don't do guns in England).

Oh and I called the police that evening. I didn't have insurance then as I was poor. Didn't have much worth stealing either though!

We don't think the guy is violent, we think it's someone we know and let into the house before. First instinct was to call the police and they told us not to set the alarm so it doesn't "alarm" the person when they walk in.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Still, if it's this guy I think it is, can he be harangued for circumstantial evidence?

Only if there's an obvious connection. Otherwise it's a weak case. But honestly I can't see the authorities taking this investigation too seriously if you waited to be burglarized 4 times before calling them, they might very well just think you're crazy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't call the police earlier is because I honestly thought my brother did it and was strapped for cash.
So you come home and see a house that is been burglarized and you thought gee, I guess my brother stole my stuff. That is so sad :(

Still, not calling the cops is odd, but there's no beating that issue to death.

----------

I would start another thread first, just to make sure.

No please don't that thread will get removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.