Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I've spent a bit of time playing around with the new S5 at my local Tesco Supermarket and have to say I'm really impressed. I never thought I would like the larger screen but the image quality is excellent, far superior to my current iPhone 5. I'm also getting a bit bored of ios now and looking for a change.

I'm so impressed with the S5 that I'm thinking of buying one outright but I still have 6 months left on my current phone contract. So my question is, if I buy an unlocked S5 and the appropriate nano to micro sim adaptor could I use my iphone sim in a S5? The reason I ask is that iphone tariff sims are different to other contract sims. Is there anyway the carrier would know if this had been done and would it make a difference?

If the two are compatible I may even alternate between the two so I get to have and keep the experience of both phones and OS's.

Thanks

omeryounos

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Swapping between Galaxy S5 and iPhone 5

Yes you can use the sim, I ve done it a number of times between my ip 5s and S4. I don't think carrier can block use of sim in another phone than iPhone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Be aware ....

When alternating you may be tempted to use a nano-micro sim adapter.

DO NOT !!! They have a tendency to damage the pins in the SIM card reader tray on the Samsung when ejecting them, meaning you may end up messing up the sin reader in the S5.

Best bet into have a separate blank micro sim and simply ring your mobile operator and get them to swap to the other sim each time you change, just give them the sim number and they'll activate the sim. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but far less of one than banjaxing the sim reader tray.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Swapping between Galaxy S5 and iPhone 5

Cheers guys, I'm not sure if my carrier would allow me to switch my number back and forth to another sim as I'm still in contract at the moment.

I've seen numerous sim adapters and variation in quality with them, would a good quality adapter prevent the potential issue with causing damage to the S5 holder?

Last edited:

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Cheers guys, I'm not sure if my carrier would allow me to switch my number back and forth to another sim as I'm still in contract at the moment.

I've seen numerous sim adapters and variation in quality with them, would a good quality adapter prevent the potential issue with causing damage to the S5 holder?

they should. just say you lost your sim card. ;)

since galaxy 5 and iphone 5 use different sim size, i'd play safe and not use the sim adapter. instead get the appropriate sim and call your carrier. some carrier actually allow you to update sim number online.

goodluck!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Be aware ....

When alternating you may be tempted to use a nano-micro sim adapter.

DO NOT !!! They have a tendency to damage the pins in the SIM card reader tray on the Samsung when ejecting them, meaning you may end up messing up the sin reader in the S5.

Best bet into have a separate blank micro sim and simply ring your mobile operator and get them to swap to the other sim each time you change, just give them the sim number and they'll activate the sim. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but far less of one than banjaxing the sim reader tray.

LOL....I never heard of that word before...i had to look it up!

Definitions
adjective

(US, informal) destroyed or ruined

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/banjaxed

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
LOL....I never heard of that word before...i had to look it up!

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/banjaxed

Lol, we use it all the time here... :)

----------

Your not switching your number, they are just activating a blank sim. No number swap involved and can literally be done over the phone in seconds by your carrier. It's not an unusual process.

oh and no ... I had a high quality expensive adapter and still came unstuck with it ....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.