Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommyburns13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
I wondered if anyone knows a work around for an issue im having. I currently have a MacBook PRO and a Toshiba 500Gb external HD. Instead of backing up my iTunes library etc.. using time machine, id rather just copy it over whenever I use the HD. But if I do this I have to 'replace' the entire library instead of it just skipping any duplicate files. This obviously takes forever and a day to do, so is there a way to make the transfer quicker by it doing a similar thing to Windows and checking for any duplicate files first so it only adds the new files??? :apple:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) and SuperDuper! might be able to help, as it checks for the already existing data and only copies the missing data.

Though with CCC it will use the same directory structure as Mac OS X does, thus the copy will be located on "external HDD / Users / You / Music" instead of the root level.
And the HDD also needs to use Mac OS Extended as format, as far as I know, but you can always try.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
CCC will work just fine. I use that for my main backup program. Great Software and the developer is a great guy too.
But if you want something a little lighter:
Check out SyncTwoFolders, it will do exactly what you want, on the OS X side only. It will not work with Windows per se, although it may work with some BootCamp files etc. on a macintosh partition.
It can be set up to do incremental copies only, in fact it has so many options it is a bit complicated to set up at first. Once you have it set up, it can do batch processing of a group of selected copies.
http://throb.pagesperso-orange.fr/site/
:cool:

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
As does Super Duper--I use that to keep the backup copy of my iTunes library up to date--which is located on an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.