Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
I had used several phones since 1999 till 2007....most of them being nokias.

In 2007 ... I got iphone 2G and I never looked back.

I upgraded to 3G, 3GS, 4 and then 5.

Looking at the high specs android phones being used by anyone and everyone around me, I decided to take the plunge and got myself a Note 3. Initially I was blew over by the screen and stylus.

But slowly I realised the more the apps I install, the slower the phone becomes and battery life degrades. In fact my note became worse after upgrading to 4.4.2...the lags started to pinch more.

The worst was when I was in dialler and if I click on phone book, it took 10-15 seconds. That's highly unacceptable from a octa core phone with 3Gb ram.

Coming back to iphone, I still had my iphone 5 and it has about 300 apps in it...and zero lag. Compared to that my note 3 had about 30-40 apps...and was much slower.

I finally decided to get back to apple, and traded my note 3 for iPhone 5s and passed on my iphone 5 in family.

Extremely happy being back on apple ecosystem and a super fast device. :apple:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Looking at the high specs android phones being used by anyone and everyone around me, I decided to take the plunge and got myself a Note 3. Initially I was blew over by the screen and stylus.

But slowly I realised the more the apps I install, the slower the phone becomes and battery life degrades. In fact my note became worse after upgrading to 4.4.2...the lags started to pinch more.

The worst was when I was in dialler and if I click on phone book, it took 10-15 seconds. That's highly unacceptable from a octa core phone with 3Gb ram.

Strange. I had a ton of apps installed on my HTC One and didn't notice any lag or degradation of battery life over time.

Samsung's TouchWiz skin can be pretty resource intensive, although I'm not sure about the Note 3, maybe it's running a different version of TouchWiz?

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
Strange. I had a ton of apps installed on my HTC One and didn't notice any lag or degradation of battery life over time.

Samsung's TouchWiz skin can be pretty resource intensive, although I'm not sure about the Note 3, maybe it's running a different version of TouchWiz?

Htc sense ui is much more refined than samsung touchwiz. My wife used htc one mini for 2 weeks before she got my iphone 5. Her one mini was faster than her s3. Where as s3 internals are far better than one mini.

But the way apple ios software and hardware are fine tuned....one can't even imagine android giving same effect. They can only bump up specs....but can't guarantee smooth operating like apple.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Htc sense ui is much more refined than samsung touchwiz. My wife used htc one mini for 2 weeks before she got my iphone 5. Her one mini was faster than her s3. Where as s3 internals are far better than one mini.

But the way apple ios software and hardware are fine tuned....one can't even imagine android giving same effect. They can only bump up specs....but can't guarantee smooth operating like apple.

This is my first iPhone (I have the 5s) and I will say that I agree. The only Android phone that was about as smooth was the Nexus 5, which is a really great phone. I just prefer the control center/quick settings on IOS to what KitKat currently has.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
This is my first iPhone (I have the 5s) and I will say that I agree. The only Android phone that was about as smooth was the Nexus 5, which is a really great phone. I just prefer the control center/quick settings on IOS to what KitKat currently has.

Well nexus is good as it's plain vanilla android.

But my relatives using nexus 4 complain of bad battery life and I've read bad reviews about camera of nexus 5.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well nexus is good as it's plain vanilla android.

But my relatives using nexus 4 complain of bad battery life and I've read bad reviews about camera of nexus 5.

I think the closest to "perfect" android phones usually miss the mark on at least one feature. The HTC One for example, is a gorgeous phone with an amazing screen(469 PPI!), a nice minimal skin and great features, but the camera sucks. The Moto X is has great reviews but I'm a bit turned off by its midlevel specs, plus I've heard the camera isn't that great. I imagine I'd be happy with the Nexus 5, except it's a little bigger than I'd like.

Android, especially in the Nexus phones, is an awesome OS though.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I have to agree with this. Apple has been late to the game with the big screens, so I've ventured into Android territory. But everytime I go I'm just struck by how crappy the experience is relative to iOS. It's not like there's more you can do on iOS - there's definitely more versatility on Android. But the overall Android experience is just lacking in refinement. Coming straight from iOS, the difference is jarring. Even though iOS forces you into separate sandboxes for apps, there's a consistency across apps that's just reassuring and aesthetically pleasing.

I think the big screen iPhones will sway a significant number of people back to iPhone. There is a lot of pent up demand

TurboNut69

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
Similar situation for me. I had the original Iphone and then the 3GS. I had hoped for 128GB on the Iphone 5, but when it didn't happen I looked around for one that had it. I ended up with the Galaxy Mega 6.3" due to the improved performance over my 3GS and the screen size. At this point, I would like to go back to Iphone since it just works better, but I won't until the screen is 6-7" and has an option for 128GB. Frankly, the screen size is more important to me now than the added polish of ios over Android.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
While I like Android there is something about the iPhone that I can't put my finger on that makes me prefer it.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
While I like Android there is something about the iPhone that I can't put my finger on that makes me prefer it.

Same. I'll be coming back to iPhone as well. I really miss the "cleanliness" of the App store vs the Google Play store.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Similar situation for me. I had the original Iphone and then the 3GS. I had hoped for 128GB on the Iphone 5, but when it didn't happen I looked around for one that had it. I ended up with the Galaxy Mega 6.3" due to the improved performance over my 3GS and the screen size. At this point, I would like to go back to Iphone since it just works better, but I won't until the screen is 6-7" and has an option for 128GB. Frankly, the screen size is more important to me now than the added polish of ios over Android.

6-7" iPhone? Get ready to wait for a long, long time.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I had used several phones since 1999 till 2007....most of them being nokias.

In 2007 ... I got iphone 2G and I never looked back.

I upgraded to 3G, 3GS, 4 and then 5.

Coming back to iphone, I still had my iphone 5 and it has about 300 apps in it...and zero lag. Compared to that my note 3 had about 30-40 apps...and was much slower.

I finally decided to get back to apple, and traded my note 3 for iPhone 5s and passed on my iphone 5 in family.

Extremely happy being back on apple ecosystem and a super fast device. :apple:

i was in the same boat as you. tried all kinds of smartphones - treo, blackjack, blackberry, motorola q, nexus, samsung. once i got hold of an iPhone - i never looked back.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Sounds like you had a dud. I've seen none of those symptoms on my Note 3 and I have quite the library of apps.

Many including myself had nothing but lag issues with the note 3 especially after the kitkat update. Sold it for a HTC m8 now and my gosh this phone is fast , and so clean. No junk hardly in the software. Way better experience.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Many including myself had nothing but lag issues with the note 3 especially after the kitkat update. Sold it for a HTC m8 now and my gosh this phone is fast , and so clean. No junk hardly in the software. Way better experience.

Man that sucks, I did hear stories of people having issues with the kitkat update. Sounds horrible. I'm still on 4.3 with Verizon and it's still as buttery smooth as the day I got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.