Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teabean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
So, my macbook pro started to have kernel errors and all manner of ills because the HD was very full. I went to the apple store and was advised to back up my machine using time machine (which I did), wipe everything (which I did), and only recover programs/applications from the backup (which I did). Unfortunately, I am now having a devilish time finding files. This was ok for my few main and essential folders which I quickly imported, but it is almost impossible to find files that were not sorted properly to begin with. So my general question is how can I search/ index a time machine backup that is not on my computer?

Worst of all I have two very important files that I have no clue how to find. I recorded my grandfather explaining the family history last winter with a borrowed a65 sony camera. I believe the camera records in AVCHD, according to the sony website, which is a format that iphoto did not support at the time. So, when I downloaded these files from the camera they were in a separate location and I could only view them with some type of movie player -- probably VLC? Anyhow, he has now passed on and after grieving for a bit I went to find the files to share with my family but they have apparently vanished within time machine. I can not find them ANYWHERE!!! All I know is the date they were captured on. Is there any way to search files based on date or type of file they may have converted into if they were recorded in AVCHD?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So, my macbook pro started to have kernel errors and all manner of ills because the HD was very full. I went to the apple store and was advised to back up my machine using time machine (which I did), wipe everything (which I did), and only recover programs/applications from the backup (which I did). Unfortunately, I am now having a devilish time finding files. This was ok for my few main and essential folders which I quickly imported, but it is almost impossible to find files that were not sorted properly to begin with. So my general question is how can I search/ index a time machine backup that is not on my computer?

Worst of all I have two very important files that I have no clue how to find. I recorded my grandfather explaining the family history last winter with a borrowed a65 sony camera. I believe the camera records in AVCHD, according to the sony website, which is a format that iphoto did not support at the time. So, when I downloaded these files from the camera they were in a separate location and I could only view them with some type of movie player -- probably VLC? Anyhow, he has now passed on and after grieving for a bit I went to find the files to share with my family but they have apparently vanished within time machine. I can not find them ANYWHERE!!! All I know is the date they were captured on. Is there any way to search files based on date or type of file they may have converted into if they were recorded in AVCHD?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Click "Enter Time Machine" from the Time Machine icon in the menu bar or the Time Machine icon in your applications folder. Then in the window that shows up you can search and choose "This Mac"! See my screen shot for more info.

You can of course search by file type and date as well...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 3.45.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 3.45.24 PM.png
    932.2 KB · Views: 32
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.